Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Results 241 to 255 of 255

Thread: The decision that boiled your blood

  1. #241
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,253
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    MM, maybe someone has fixed the Wikipedia chart since your post. When I looked at it just now, the numbers do make sense.
    Oh, you're right. I was reading the charts wrong.

  2. #242
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    very easy

    * Chan's fraudulent wins, need we say more ?
    * the deplorable crocodile tears of S/P who did not deserve to get an OGM, absolute disgust from north american commentators and one of the worst elite pairs to exist

  3. #243
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,662
    Trust me, there have been many pairs over time that were worse than S&P. A lot of them came from the U.S.

  4. #244
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Trust me, there have been many pairs over time that were worse than S&P. A lot of them came from the U.S.
    forgot to insert elite

  5. #245
    Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    914
    One of the worst elite pairs? That's a bit much.

    I've come to believe that the Russians deserved the OGM on their own, but I'd still take S/P Love Story Olympic skate over nearly all of the CoP programs I've seen since then, especially since the retirement of S/Z.

  6. #246
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    One of the worst elite pairs? That's a bit much.

    I've come to believe that the Russians deserved the OGM on their own, but I'd still take S/P Love Story Olympic skate over nearly all of the CoP programs I've seen since then, especially since the retirement of S/Z.
    yawn, typical resorting to CoP to upheld S/P , only a north american would find these pair asthetic and beautiful enough, lol
    though comparing, I don't know who is worst them or from this CoP the crashy pairs Totmianina/Mairnin or Megan stiffboard Duhamel/Robot Radford

  7. #247
    Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    yawn, typical resorting to CoP to upheld S/P , only a north american would find these pair asthetic and beautiful enough, lol
    though comparing, I don't know who is worst them or from this CoP the crashy pairs Totmianina/Mairnin or Megan stiffboard Duhamel/Robot Radford
    I find the "North American" slam a little odd.

    True, I'm an American, but I believe the top 3 (for certain) and top 5 (arguably) pairs teams EVER were Soviet/Russian. My patriotism doesn't overrule my common sense.

    S/P are not on my list of Top 5 ever, and I still maintain that what they delivered is better than nearly every CoP we've seen.

  8. #248
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,590
    Toto and Max. Nothing special except their unison was excellent as all Russian pairs. Most boring undeserving OGM pair ever. The word yawn was created for them. S/P far more interesting, charming. I really think the lock the bloc had for so long really damaged the confidence of the N/A pairs and even European pairs. S/P are one of my fave pairs of all time, and I think the deserved the gold. I am very happy it was a tie, as it really was a great way to reward the skaters and go after the cheatin judges. CoP is a work in progress forever it seems. I really think S/P deserve more credit for some great programs. They truly were one before they split. Interestingly, they still skated very well together.

    There was one G and G. Sadly, we have pretty much lost it in N/A when it comes to pairs greats. They all split before they can be proved. I wonder who will win gold at Sochi? I like the obvious gold silver designees (need we even mention names) so much, it will come down to the night itself, the programs/choreo/music. I suspect russians will win. Potboiler for 3rd...It will be hard fought.

  9. #249
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    1,625
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Most boring undeserving OGM pair ever. The word yawn was created for them. .
    The boring part I won't disagree since that is a matter of personal preference but undeserving? I am sorry but they skated pristine clean, absolutely no one ever questioned their medal. They were the clear winners. Their SP was breathtaking. I am not a fan of their LP but they skated that like true champions. With their 2006 perfect skated programs they would have won in 2010 since S/Z had that big mistake on the lift. Just my opinion (the scores are irrelevant since COP changed a lot in 4 years and in 2006 it was still a work in progress).
    This topic is about bad scoring and undeserving medals, T/M's names don't belong here.

  10. #250
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    The boring part I won't disagree since that is a matter of personal preference but undeserving? I am sorry but they skated pristine clean, absolutely no one ever questioned their medal. They were the clear winners. Their SP was breathtaking. I am not a fan of their LP but they skated that like true champions. With their 2006 perfect skated programs they would have won in 2010 since S/Z had that big mistake on the lift. Just my opinion (the scores are irrelevant since COP changed a lot in 4 years and in 2006 it was still a work in progress).
    This topic is about bad scoring and undeserving medals, T/M's names don't belong here.
    I agree! I did not hear what said the American commentators. Probably they said something similar ...

  11. #251
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,662
    They did not say anything about boring, AFAIR. They talked about the beautiful running edges Totmianina got on her throw jump landings. But they did rerun a fluff about the horrible fall they had at Skate America that season. I believe they raved about their technique in general. No one questioned them for the win. Shen & Zhao were a sentimental favorite, but no one said they should have won, and the Zhangs had that horrible fall. If you wanted a blood boiler in the 2006 pairs, I always though I&B should have been scored a bit higher for the Adagio SP, which had the first Olympic triple axel throw landed. It really was a beautiful program, and unfortunately I can't find it on youtube.,
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 07-29-2013 at 05:38 AM.

  12. #252
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    I think we can all agree T/M were boring and unmemorable pairs
    with just decent ss and horrible crashy triple twists

  13. #253
    Banned Reginald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    227
    2013 US national figure skating championships.

    Jon Jackson would have had a fit.

    Courtney Hicks had two fully rotated triple-triples and 0 falls, and finished behind a skater who had 0 triple-triples and 2 falls, a skater that had one triple-triple and one fall, and a skater that had two triple-triples and one fall.

    And that's only the tip of the iceberg...

    The 2013 US national figure skating championships has the be the worst judged sporting event in history. It makes gymnastics at the Beijing Olympics look fairly judged.

  14. #254
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,662
    I can see Courtney beating Agnes in a fair world, but not Gracie. The difference in PCS should maybe have been closer, but Gracie had a lot more technical content in the LP.

    For one thing, Courtney did not have two fully rotated triple triples. Her SP 3F3t was called UR on the second jump in her SP;

    For another, in LP Courtney did two 3/2/2's and you're only allowed one. The second double toe on the second combo doesn't count. She did one 3/3 combo there. Finally, Gracie earned all level 4's on her spins & steps, did one 3/3 and a 2A/3t, and Courtney got level 3's in the LP and she popped a 3lp 2a sequence to a 1lp 2a sequence, for negative GOE. Consequently she lost the ground she gained ahead of Gracie in the SP when Gracie fell on a UR 3/3 and popped a 2A.

    http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...001SEG001.html

    Click on the plus sign next to each skater to see the detailed protocols. There is a tab for the LP data.

  15. #255
    Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,463
    Courtney skates like a tank so I thought she was very lucky to place so highly in the standings. She skates with a lot of speed and her jumps are big but the rest of her skating was lacking.

    The main person who got robbed at nationals in 2013 was Christina Gao.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •