Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 255

Thread: The decision that boiled your blood

  1. #61
    Custom Title Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    748
    Bow for the Queen People LoL. What boils my blood is when someone says skater x won because skater y made silly mistakes they would not normally make. No. skater y won because she was better than skater x at that event.

  2. #62
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,806
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    You mean Kovtun instead of Menshov for 2013 Worlds? YES.
    Btw, I just wanted to clarify, I meant yes I agree with that poster, not yes that Kovtun should have been sent. I was a supporter of Menshov.

  3. #63
    Six Point Zero Krislite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Yunaverse
    Posts
    1,552
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    What makes my blood boil is the OTT fans in this sport trying to trivialize other people's opinions. For example, whenever people post "negative" things about Yuna Kim (I don't like her free foot position, her spins aren't special, or whatever) that person is immediately labeled a "Yuna hater", even if that may not be the case.
    Uh oh, I don't think Yuna has perfect spins and spirals, either. Guess that means I've been a Yuna-hater all along. Who knew!? When can I expect the pitchforks and to be burned at the stake?

  4. #64
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,119
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    It's so amazing! That the whole reason for sending Kovtun changed to! All for Kovtun's benefit! He wasn't there to do well or anything just to compete there! Results were irrelevant and unimportant! It's amazing how at every step everything is always for Kovtun's good PR. He needed to replace Menshov for Euros because he's so good and so amazing and even when he doesn't even medal at Euros because of 2A in SP and 4 full combos because he thought 4 were allowed or something it described as amazing! Then he goes to worlds and bombs doing a 3T+1T combo in the SP its a great success because he got his name out there! He was in front of international judges! It's all just a big success! All because he did well at the JRGPF! Menshov gets to 4th places at the GP series and can't even go to Euros! This is never going to be explained in a satisfactory way to me! It's like hes the son of someone HUGE and so important that the whole Russian federation must be stupid!
    Both Farris and Kovtun have two Senior GP assignments this season. I will be interested to see who does better. And I'd be willing to bet it won't be Menshov.

  5. #65
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,326
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    D'you reckon it's ever possible to have a thread the Yunabots vs Maobots don't take over?



    The decision that boils my blood is that a second gold medal was handed out. Nope. B/S are the SLC champions and fair and square.

    ITA re the 2002 Pairs result. Here's one for the Yunabots: Yu Na's LP placing first over Mao's at the 2010 WC.

  6. #66
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    4,108
    Quote Originally Posted by yelyoh View Post
    Since this was under the old scoring system and the jumps were everything I just thought Goebel was cleaner (I think Yagudin fell) and deserved it on the tech score.
    The jumps were never everything.

    And Yagudin skated perfectly at 2002 Worlds. There was absolutely no way he should have lost.

  7. #67
    Adiós Melon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    521
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    ITA re the 2002 Pairs result. Here's one for the Yunabots: Yu Na's LP placing first over Mao's at the 2010 WC.
    Yuna's GOE from her triple triple and flip covered her 3S, and her GOE from 3Lz and 2A+3T covered her mistake in 2A. Of course Mao had a better run comparing side by side, but I don't think it was worthy of 150+ or even 140+ program. She underrotated her 3A combo which is pretty costly considering that's what Mao wanted to gain points from.

    Now before you comment on how Yuna gets ridiculous amount of GOE, PCS queen, other blah blah blahs, think about this.
    Should a skater like Mao automatically receive +3's or +2's on her 3A because she's the only one who can execute them? No. There are guide lines that tells if a certain jump deserves a positive GOE. If Mao wants to gain +3s on her 3A, she should follow the guide lines. (maybe an ina bauer to 3A) I personally think Yuna's scores were fair and so were Mao's. A well executed jumps should definitely scored higher than poorly, but fully rotated jumps. And in this case, 3t+3lz vs 3A.

  8. #68
    ~high art~
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    636
    It wasn't Yuna's fault Mao couldn't rotate her triple Axel.

  9. #69
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    US
    Posts
    232
    I know B&K fell during the ending pose but that wasn't on an element.
    I haven't read through the whole thread, but just in case this wasn't commented on---the problem is that there's a rule that says you cannot finish the program laying on the ice. Their fall forced this to happen, as they went down just as the music ended. It made for a mandatory deduction. Heartbreaking, IMO, yes, but that was why.

  10. #70
    Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    939
    Quote Originally Posted by backspin View Post
    I haven't read through the whole thread, but just in case this wasn't commented on---the problem is that there's a rule that says you cannot finish the program laying on the ice. Their fall forced this to happen, as they went down just as the music ended. It made for a mandatory deduction. Heartbreaking, IMO, yes, but that was why.
    My memory can be sketchy... but wasn't the fall on a lift at the very end of the program? I think I recall they fell on the exit of the lift, and the program ended almost immediately thereafter... so they fell on the element AND ended the program on the ice... a double-whammy.

    Maybe I'm just not remembering correctly...

  11. #71
    Custom Title LRK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,412
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Both Farris and Kovtun have two Senior GP assignments this season. I will be interested to see who does better. And I'd be willing to bet it won't be Menshov.
    You mean Kovtun? You had another post where Menshov's name suddenly popped up, when I think you meant Kovtun. I'm not asking to be mean, or nitpicky - only it can get a bit confusing at times!

  12. #72
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    There are a lot of performances that deserve to have a large gap between the marks, IMO. We should see more judging outcomes like that. Too many times in the past, technically strong performances receive high marks for Artistry/PCS that are undeserved. And quite a few performances that were some of the best ever in terms of Artistry/PCS have been held down because of lower technical content.
    Oh, this is interesting point. I get your point but under current judging system, as you already know very well, half the PCS is really tech score (skating skills, transitions) which is correlated to (in broaden sense) GOE marks, or even base value. i.e. if you have more transitions going into jumps than you may get higher GOE etc, or if you don't have superior S/S and miss control the chances are you may make mistakes at some point-> lower BV.

    Therefore, IMO, if judging was fair under current judging system, then TES and PCS gap should not be too big. (For lady's LP, if the gap is more than 10+, I check the protocol right away.) Of course PCS can still reflect superior choreo etc, but it is only 1/5 of total PCS. And IMO, P/E should get punished if a skater makes multiple mistakes.

  13. #73
    Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    16,713
    Quote Originally Posted by yelyoh View Post
    I'm not sure about the years but here goes. Yagudin's Gold over Gable's Silver at 2002 (?) World's. I doubt anyone will agree with me. As for presentation I do remember Yagudin seemed flat unlike his usual dynamic thoroughly committed self.
    I don't agree if it was 2002 Worlds. 2002 Worlds was right after the Olympics which Alexei won and his World programs were electric.

    Alexei's 2002 World's SP.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyjX2N18EF8

    Alexei's 2002 World's LP

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uutt5Hszqhc

  14. #74
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    I don't agree if it was 2002 Worlds. 2002 Worlds was right after the Olympics which Alexei won and his World programs were electric.

    Alexei's 2002 World's SP.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyjX2N18EF8

    Alexei's 2002 World's LP

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uutt5Hszqhc
    Yes, he was perfect, and the victory was unquestioned!!!!!

    His victory in the 2002 European Championships, that was unfair! Abt was the real winner.

  15. #75
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,806
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    My memory can be sketchy... but wasn't the fall on a lift at the very end of the program? I think I recall they fell on the exit of the lift, and the program ended almost immediately thereafter... so they fell on the element AND ended the program on the ice... a double-whammy.

    Maybe I'm just not remembering correctly...
    Yeah, it was on the end of a lift, as another poster pointed out to me. I now remember the lift, when he sort of swung her around.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •