The decision that boiled your blood | Page 5 | Golden Skate

The decision that boiled your blood

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Biggest potboiler was Oksana's win over Nancy. I loved little waif from Ukraine but Nancy was incredible. She fought so hard, and a fraction from German judge gave it to Oksana. I felt is so unfair-Oksana charmed by erred and Nancy was truly at her best.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They will face off there! Unlike kovtun Farris wasn't pushed into a bunch of events he did nothing to earn his way to! The Russian fed was just all "let's just all collectively lose our minds because of a jrgpf win!" I just hope kovtun being giving a bunch of events he did nothing to deserve has harmed training or made him lazy! He did 3 months of total coasting after he showed POTENTIAL to do well in seniors during the JRGP! Not "he is all ready let's all act there's no difference between Jrs and srs!" so he does know medal winning and success in Jrs so he must be horrified at how he performed no matter what the Russian fed is saying how worlds was a great triumph because he got his name out there!
If Russia had any decent men skaters they wouldn't have pushed Kovtun like they did. When your best skaters are 30 and older there is obviously no depth in the ranks.

Moment

Final Flight
As much as I love me some Carolina Kostner and can accept her being comparable to Katia Gordeeva, there is NO WAY she comes anywhere near PChan. He is an absolute wizard with his blades. :bow:

Ekaterina Gordeeva had/has superior stroking technique (esp. backward crossovers), posture, and control of her speed to Carolina Kostner. She pretty much exhibited what ideal, most sublime basic skating looked like. No way is Carolina comparable to Ekaterina.

Lota

Record Breaker
2002 Olympics, Lithuanians Drobiazko and Vanagas not getting bronze. That was ridiculous.

2012 V/M beating D/W. As much as I love V/M, I really think D/W should have won.

Men's results during the past 2 years. Yeah, that's... just... no comment.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If Russia had any decent men skaters they wouldn't have pushed Kovtun like they did. When your best skaters are 30 and older there is obviously no depth in the ranks.

Or maybe they just shouldn't have castigated the one who was the best of the non-30 year olds. What they did to Gachinski was completely unacceptable. Anyone would think he single-handedly destroyed Russian men's skating with the way the RFSF carried on.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Or maybe they just shouldn't have castigated the one who was the best of the non-30 year olds. What they did to Gachinski was completely unacceptable. Anyone would think he single-handedly destroyed Russian men's skating with the way the RFSF carried on.

Very true! They totally went overboard with gachinski - the only non plushenko world medalist in 9 years in 2011 I think- and went total postal on him and tore him a new one and then but totally over corrected on kovtun to where even though he is not even half the skater gachinski is treats every performance of his like he won the Olympics!!! Going back to Russian nationals after the jrgpf win it was all he's going to try a quad toe and salchow and he failed on both but everyone was like "how amazing a quad salchow and toe! Attempt." they over corrected to where no criticism was done by anyone wig power and it was up to skaters like trankov to be like "menshov actually did well? Why is kovtun being sent anywhere?"

gmyers

Record Breaker
And gachinski beat kovtun at Russian nationals so their gachinski hate is just so unreasonable at his point! If mishin wasn't his coach he'd probably be with doronina or petushkova somewhere!!!

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Krislite said:
And I wasn't simply defending Yuna. The original poster is asking for what makes my blood boil. Are you disputing my feelings regarding Kostner's overscoring? Can you read my mind? Did the topic suddenly change?

And as for my expressing such disagreement, how is it forbidding others from holding/expressing contrary opinions? I wasn't advocating that they be banned, flogged, punished or jailed. I was simply stating my own disagreement. Am I not allowed to do that? And if I'm not, then who is being "forbidden" from having certain thoughts? Respecting other people's rights to hold opinions does NOT mean I should be silent or hold their opinions in high esteem.

Again no need to tell me why you think Yuna wasn't overscored, I agree that she wasn't.
And again, I never said you weren't allowed to voice an opinion, defend Yuna or state that you think Carolina is overscored. But defending Yuna and saying Carolina was overscored are two different things, while you wrote it like 'oh, you say something against my Yuna? I'll just say something against your favorite skater!'. It was the way you did it which was needlessly aggressive and sure to provoce some reaction from Carolina fans.
I used this 'forbidding others to think anything else about Yuna than that she's perfect' expression because in a lot of different threads, posters who say something slightly negativ about Yuna are getting called out for it by Yuna fans, to the point were you can expect it to happen (look at the mention of Yuna beating Mao at 2010 worlds, f.e.). Alright, so forbidding was the wrong word - I apologize. But there are a lot of Yuna fans here who react very overly defensive and aggressive, to the point where the moment you criticize Yuna, or anything close to that, you know you or your favorite skater are going to get one back. And to my, that is like saying 'don't dare to say something not positive about Yuna, or the fight is on!'.

prettykeys said:
The problem with sanctimonious posters like you is that they inevitably show their bias because they will criticize the responders and never the instigators particularly when the instigators happen to be *gasp* fans of the same skaters favoured by said finger-waggers.

You know what's childish? (and IMO, also creepy and bizarre)--bringing up a completely different discussion that happened months ago and quoting almost verbatim my post. I will also point out how you refer to the poster as a mere "poster" and not a Mao fan making that ridiculous comparison to begin with. The entire point of my comment was that instead of nitpicking YuNa's flip, perhaps they should critique the weaknesses of their own favourite first. But like I said, your bias is blatantly showing.

And it's true that both YuNa and Kanako have triple flips that have good height. Heaven forbid I make a positive comparison instead of letting the comment alone with the negative slant regarding YuNa's phantom hammertoe that has only ever circulated around rabid Maobot circles. It wasn't a comment that was merely "not-positive", it was delusional.

I didn't remember it was you who posted that, nor do I remember who the instigator was. And the point I was trying to make is that it doesn't matter, if the 'instigator' was a Mao fan - Mao herself still wasn't mentioned at all originally, so there was no need to bring her up. You can disagree all you want with the 'instigator', if what they say is so wrong, without bringing up a third skater. And you can write all the positive things in the world about Yunas and Kanakos jumps, you don't have to let the negative comment about Yuna stay as it is - I never said that, so no need to make it sound like I did. But again, you could have said something positive about skater A without saying something negative about skater B.
And you can call me whatever you want, but this aggressive tone just makes it sound like you don't know how else to defend yourself. Of course I am biased - but you are too, so stop discrediting everything another poster said with this 'argument'.

LRK

Record Breaker
*facepalm*

Of course, of course. Menshov only got one assignment, lucky folks at Skate America. Kovtun and Farris both got two and it will be my guess that Farris will do better. We will even see them head-to-head I think - Farris got CoR, didn't Kovtun, too?

You made me curious. I'm not sure, though. If you mean individually comparing performances, then maybe, but - with risk for further boiling your blood (see what I did there? ;) - not that straying off topic should be much of an issue, since this thread has developed into another leg of the Yuna/Mao/Carolina Wars.... ) - meseems that Kovtun got the easier - relatively speaking - non-CoR assignment.

At Skate Canada Farris has: Chan, Brezina, Mura, Oda, Hanyu, Ross and Jeremy.

At Cup of China Kovtun has: Kevin Reynolds, Yan Han, Song Nan, Florent, Kozuka, Denis Ten and Dornbush.

At CoR they have - apart from each other - Plushy (please Heaven!), Brian, Javi (now if I just got a Plushy/Brian/Javi podium, I'd not care whatever blood boiling - or curdling - things went on in the rest of the GP; unfortunately, this being the last event, I'd not know this until I'd already boiled some blood - ugh, sorry for that image! - well, heigh-ho, that's life for you... ), Kevin Reynolds, Machida and Dornbush.

What do you think?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Now, I know that a lot of you won't share my opinion, but I want to write what I think about the Ice Dance plcamenets in Nagano:
I partially agree with the OD results, but I would have put K/O clearly ahead of G/P, their program was FAR better! But the FD result is what I really disagree with: my placements would have been:
1st K/O: I don't know why a lot of people don't really appreciate this program, but I really love this, for me it has everything and in that occasion they performed it absolutely perfectly, with passion, determination, anger, speed, it was technically difficult and artistically well-choreographed, I would have given 5.9/5.9 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgXUkYCbAgk
2nd B/K: I think that we all agree that this program was extraordinary, they performed it well and it deserved to be ahead of G/P and A/P, 5.8/5.9 for me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZxdCZUAPjo
3rd P/S: no-one would have had the courage to put them in the top3 that night, I'm sure, but, as BoP pointed out, they skated the program of their life in Nagano and they skated it wonderfully!!
4th G/P: they were the favourites and they skated well here, but the program was nothing special, I'm sorry... I really love a lot of their programs, but this was nowhere close to their 1996-1997 programs :no:
And, B/K 5th place in the Golden Waltz was ABSURDE!! Well, with this placements I think that I would have K/O Gold, G/P Silver (?) and B/K Bronze (or silver maybe, depending on the CD placement of G/P), which would have been a lot better... But, bloc judging it was...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
At Skate Canada Farris has: Chan, Brezina, Mura, Oda, Hanyu, Ross and Jeremy.

At Cup of China Kovtun has: Kevin Reynolds, Yan Han, Song Nan, Florent, Kozuka, Denis Ten and Dornbush.

At CoR they have - apart from each other - Plushy (please Heaven!), Brian, Javi (now if I just got a Plushy/Brian/Javi podium, I'd not care whatever blood boiling - or curdling - things went on in the rest of the GP; unfortunately, this being the last event, I'd not know this until I'd already boiled some blood - ugh, sorry for that image! - well, heigh-ho, that's life for you... ), Kevin Reynolds, Machida and Dornbush.

Gotta say the first thing I did when I saw Josh's name on the list for both SC and CoR was wince, because that's a tough pair of assignments. Nonetheless, I am confident that Josh can be the top US man at SC (he's already beaten Jeremy), and he should hold his own at CoR against Dornbush.

Kovtun's assignment at CoC is actually a fair bit tougher than it looks, and almost as tough as SC. Han Yan beat Josh at JWC in 2012, don't forget, and only missed JGPF last year because he was having uncharacteristic problems. Then he turned around and medalled at 4CC, which is no small feat. Nan Song has always been a pretty good skater, Kevin Reynolds has the tech to fight him, Denis Ten is the reigning world silver medallist. No, CoC is definitely not as straightforward as it seems.

As to CoR, well, I guess it becomes the young guns learning from the older experienced skaters, the apprentices learning from the masters. I think Plushenko will take them all, of course, so there's no question of a direct comparison between him and Kovtun - but a lot there depends on who the third Russian man is there. They may choose to give Gachinski a second or Menshov. And in either case, Kovtun will HAVE to beat him to salvage a reputation on the National level. And both those men have an axe to grind that they'll be only too happy to grind on Kovtun.

What I will be looking for in terms of comparison is not just the simple stuff of scores and jumps landed. How did they do relative to their countrymen at the same event (if any)? Did he make a mistake? If he did, how well did he recover from that? Is he rotating his jumps? Is he looking nervous, anxious, unsettled?

For Kovtun in China: How does he stand up against Han Yan? How does he compare to Reynolds and Dornbush? How close is he to Ten in scores?

For Farris in Canada: Ignoring Chan who will be chanflated anyway, how does he go against Abbott and Miner? How does he compare to the Japanese? What's he like against Brezina?

Of course there are other wildcards floating around as well. Max Aaron is going to be a major force in this GP series. Jason Brown, Artur Gachinski and Konstantin Menshov all have opportunities to cause upsets at their respective single events. And of course, the ultimate wildcard is simply: it's the Olympic season.

And that's going to be an interesting factor. Kovtun is still expected to be the alternate for Sochi by Tarasova (and presumably the fed). Joshua is not expected to make the Sochi team. He is considered a dark horse, in contention if he skates well enough, but not in the first row. Still, he is being talked about. How will both of them hold up under that pressure?

MasterB

Final Flight
2000 U.S. Nationals

Sasha was leading after the short and fell once in the long and that was enough to knock her out of first.

Kwan was third I think in the short (I think) and fell once in the long and still managed to move up to first.

I love Kwan and would marry her in a minute but, fair is fair.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Let's see. I don't know if these decisions made my blood boil, so to speak, but I wasn't happy about them:

1998 Olys: I've gotten over Tara beating Michelle simply b/c Michelle went on to become a legend, partly due to her not winning gold in Nagano. However, I still maintain that Michelle skating first is what lost her gold. No she wasn't as energetic/electrifying as Tara BUT had Michelle skated after Tara, all of those 5.9s in presentation would have been 6.0s. Tara would have won the technical mark (which she deserved) but Michelle's edge in presentation would have won her gold.

2008 worlds: I was very unhappy about Yukari Nakano missing out on a medal. I thought Mao deserved gold, Yukari deserved silver and Yu-Na deserved bronze...I'd have had Carolina 4th.

2009 nationals: I thought Rachael and Caroline were cheated out of gold/silver. Both ladies delivered nearly flawless 7-triple programs to Alissa's 2.5 triple program...yet Alissa was gifted gold. She did not deserve it at all and the USFSA paid for their mistake when they sent her to worlds that year. Gold should have gone to either Rachael or Caroline...Alissa should have been 3rd if not 4th.

2012 worlds: Akiko got screwed out of a silver medal. Alena was nice but her SP was not skating; it was a bunch of posing and hip shaking. Overall, she was not better than Akiko. Akiko should have won silver and Alena should have had bronze.

2012 SC: Again, Akiko is underscored and cheated out of a gold medal. Kaetlyn was great and deserved to win the SP but her FS was not that great and yet she nearly tied Akiko, a veteran and world medalist, in PCS. That was BS. If the judges are going to give preferential treatment to one world medalist, they should do it for all of them.

2012 NHK: Poor Akiko. Yet again, she gets crapped on by the judges. The overall score was very close but the edge should have gone to Akiko, not Mao. That was disgraceful.

2013 US nats: Christina Gao was cheated out of a medal. Her flubbed spin in the SP cost her a little over a point so that's not justification as to why she did not medal. She hit all of her jumps and skated well...yet she ended up 5th. 3 of the 4 skaters she placed below all splatted at least once during the competition. Were Christina scored correctly she'd have ended up 3rd...she even had a case for 2nd if the judges played fair and didn't inflate Gold's scores to assure her a spot on the team. Also, Agnes should not have been on that podium...

As for all of the over-scoring and whatnot, it is what it is. Yu-Na, Carolina and Mao share the "over-scoring" title depending on how they skate in relation to each other. Yu-Na receives very high scores and even with mistakes she is nearly impossible to beat. Carolina is prone to making mistakes yet she often outscores those who skate cleaner than her. Mao did not complete more than 3 or 4 triples for a long stretch of last season yet she was undefeated until worlds.

All 3 are beneficiaries of inflation so I honestly don't get why people get so hung up on the details...

kwanatic

Record Breaker
2000 U.S. Nationals

Sasha was leading after the short and fell once in the long and that was enough to knock her out of first.

Kwan was third I think in the short (I think) and fell once in the long and still managed to move up to first.

I love Kwan and would marry her in a minute but, fair is fair.

Well, to be fair, Michelle's content was harder than Sasha's (6 triples to Sasha's 5). She was cute and flexible but Michelle was the better overall skater that night. I do think if Sasha had stayed upright she may have been able to edge Michelle out but, story of Sasha's life, she made a mistake that lost her gold. It was Sasha's senior debut. The only way she would have unseated Michelle was to knock both programs out of the park and she couldn't do that.

prettykeys

Medalist
I didn't remember it was you who posted that, nor do I remember who the instigator was. And the point I was trying to make is that it doesn't matter, if the 'instigator' was a Mao fan - Mao herself still wasn't mentioned at all originally, so there was no need to bring her up. You can disagree all you want with the 'instigator', if what they say is so wrong, without bringing up a third skater.
Listen, honey. If you think what I said was either harsh or misplaced--about Mao having trouble rotating her 3Flips this season--then I should remind you that this is a general figure skating forum and non-personal comments about skaters and skating are considered fair game. Good heavens, that was MILD by the standards of ANY forum I have seen, not to mention that it was the truth. If you can't handle the truth and feel the need to preach and admonish, then perhaps staying at the Mao Asada fan forum is a better place for you.

And you can call me whatever you want, but this aggressive tone just makes it sound like you don't know how else to defend yourself. Of course I am biased - but you are too, so stop discrediting everything another poster said with this 'argument'.
Excuse me, but if you want to get on your soapbox and tell people how not to initiate or get involved in fan wars, then you are doing it wrong because you are participating in it. As far as I'm concerned, that poster discredited herself by making that ludicrous comment. You want to pin the fan war on me just because I am a YuNa fan and I said something not-so-pleasant-but-entirely-true about Mao this season in response to the crazy, but the fact of the matter is that the fan war was already brought. You are just blinded by your own bias. And I would suggest developing a modicum of self-awareness when you realize how much this bias does not actually serve to dampen the situation. You are making it worse and are part of the problem. I know what I do, and that's why I don't try to sit on the high horse that you think you belong on.

And once again, I am disturbed that there are posters who would quote me verbatim using months-old posts. Get some fresh air, willya.

minze

Medalist
Let's see. I don't know if these decisions made my blood boil, so to speak, but I wasn't happy about them:

1998 Olys: I've gotten over Tara beating Michelle simply b/c Michelle went on to become a legend, partly due to her not winning gold in Nagano. However, I still maintain that Michelle skating first is what lost her gold. No she wasn't as energetic/electrifying as Tara BUT had Michelle skated after Tara, all of those 5.9s in presentation would have been 6.0s. Tara would have won the technical mark (which she deserved) but Michelle's edge in presentation would have won her gold.

2008 worlds: I was very unhappy about Yukari Nakano missing out on a medal. I thought Mao deserved gold, Yukari deserved silver and Yu-Na deserved bronze...I'd have had Carolina 4th.

2009 nationals: I thought Rachael and Caroline were cheated out of gold/silver. Both ladies delivered nearly flawless 7-triple programs to Alissa's 2.5 triple program...yet Alissa was gifted gold. She did not deserve it at all and the USFSA paid for their mistake when they sent her to worlds that year. Gold should have gone to either Rachael or Caroline...Alissa should have been 3rd if not 4th.

2012 worlds: Akiko got screwed out of a silver medal. Alena was nice but her SP was not skating; it was a bunch of posing and hip shaking. Overall, she was not better than Akiko. Akiko should have won silver and Alena should have had bronze.

2012 SC: Again, Akiko is underscored and cheated out of a gold medal. Kaetlyn was great and deserved to win the SP but her FS was not that great and yet she nearly tied Akiko, a veteran and world medalist, in PCS. That was BS. If the judges are going to give preferential treatment to one world medalist, they should do it for all of them.

2012 NHK: Poor Akiko. Yet again, she gets crapped on by the judges. The overall score was very close but the edge should have gone to Akiko, not Mao. That was disgraceful.

2013 US nats: Christina Gao was cheated out of a medal. Her flubbed spin in the SP cost her a little over a point so that's not justification as to why she did not medal. She hit all of her jumps and skated well...yet she ended up 5th. 3 of the 4 skaters she placed below all splatted at least once during the competition. Were Christina scored correctly she'd have ended up 3rd...she even had a case for 2nd if the judges played fair and didn't inflate Gold's scores to assure her a spot on the team. Also, Agnes should not have been on that podium...

As for all of the over-scoring and whatnot, it is what it is. Yu-Na, Carolina and Mao share the "over-scoring" title depending on how they skate in relation to each other. Yu-Na receives very high scores and even with mistakes she is nearly impossible to beat. Carolina is prone to making mistakes yet she often outscores those who skate cleaner than her. Mao did not complete more than 3 or 4 triples for a long stretch of last season yet she was undefeated until worlds.

All 3 are beneficiaries of inflation so I honestly don't get why people get so hung up on the details...

And that is why I love and read your blog (love the off season fashion entries) as always very good analysis.

1. I think Tara deserved her gold, but I agree with you how may skaters without Olympic gold are consider legends: very few and Michelle Kwan is a legend. She is the standard for American figure skaters. I never understood how was she able to skate with so much posture, this something none of the top skaters now can do. The way she engaged the audience with her performance. I remember watching her back in the days I knew nothing about skating (I still don't) and think Wow she is beautiful.

2. With Mao other than the NHK trophy which clearly Akiko should have won I agree with that, but we have to remember Akiko had a bad short. It wasn't like she had a clean short and Mao was gifted the gold. Mao had a better short than Akiko. But I hate that the win went to Mao because people blame her for what happened to Akiko.

3. With Mao winning everything expect Worlds last season (again Akiko should have won NHK) but cup of China Julia was superior technically but she did not have a flawless technical free. And that did not make up for all the qualities she still lacks (Mao is ahead of her in PCS by a lot. So I think Mao won fairly. If Julia skated a perfect free, even with presentation being inferior too Mao she should have won, but her free was not perfect.

Of course I am bias as a Mao fan but other than the NHK trophy I don't think she was gifted anything last season.

minze

Medalist
Listen, honey. If you think what I said was either harsh or misplaced--about Mao having trouble rotating her 3Flips this season--then I should remind you that this is a general figure skating forum and non-personal comments about skaters and skating are considered fair game. Good heavens, that was MILD by the standards of ANY forum I have seen, not to mention that it was the truth. If you can't handle the truth and feel the need to preach and admonish, then perhaps staying at the Mao Asada fan forum is a better place for you.

Excuse me, but if you want to get on your soapbox and tell people how not to initiate or get involved in fan wars, then you are doing it wrong because you are participating in it. As far as I'm concerned, that poster discredited herself by making that ludicrous comment. You want to pin the fan war on me just because I am a YuNa fan and I said something not-so-pleasant-but-entirely-true about Mao this season in response to the crazy, but the fact of the matter is that the fan war was already brought. You are just blinded by your own bias. And I would suggest developing a modicum of self-awareness when you realize how much this bias does not actually serve to dampen the situation. You are making it worse and are part of the problem. I know what I do, and that's why I don't try to sit on the high horse that you think you belong on.

And once again, I am disturbed that there are posters who would quote me verbatim using months-old posts. Get some fresh air, willya.

Respectfully, can you handle it when someone says Yuna does not have the best spins, and layback positions. I am asking because it happen on both sides. If someone says something to praise Mao about anything ex (her dress last season) someone will reply Yuna had a better dress. And then it becomes a Yuna against Mao thread as many threads in this forum.
And it revenge if someone says something about my favorite skater, I will respond by saying their favorite skater is bad. It is done in both sides.
Just putting my two cents into it, although no one asked me

kwanatic

Record Breaker
And that is why I love and read your blog (love the off season fashion entries) as always very good analysis.

1. I think Tara deserved her gold, but I agree with you how may skaters without Olympic gold are consider legends: very few and Michelle Kwan is a legend. She is the standard for American figure skaters. I never understood how was she able to skate with so much posture, this something none of the top skaters now can do. The way she engaged the audience with her performance. I remember watching her back in the days I knew nothing about skating (I still don't) and think Wow she is beautiful.

2. With Mao other than the NHK trophy which clearly Akiko should have won I agree with that, but we have to remember Akiko had a bad short. It wasn't like she had a clean short and Mao was gifted the gold. Mao had a better short than Akiko. But I hate that the win went to Mao because people blame her for what happened to Akiko.

3. With Mao winning everything expect Worlds last season (again Akiko should have won NHK) but cup of China Julia was superior technically but she did not have a flawless technical free. And that did not make up for all the qualities she still lacks (Mao is ahead of her in PCS by a lot. So I think Mao won fairly. If Julia skated a perfect free, even with presentation being inferior too Mao she should have won, but her free was not perfect.

Of course I am bias as a Mao fan but other than the NHK trophy I don't think she was gifted anything last season.

Thanks for reading my blog! I'm updating it later on today BTW so make sure to check it out ;)

I don't blame Mao (or any skater for that matter) for the scores they receive. It's a knee-jerk reaction to attack the skater b/c they are the ones getting the scores but the truth is it always comes down to the judges.

For NHK, I know Akiko was weaker in the SP but given what both she and Mao turned in over the course of the competition, I thought Akiko should have edged Mao out. IIRC the margin of victory was really small...I think it may have been less than a point. When it's that close, I tend to think that the judges have more control over the placements and that was a case where they should have given it to Akiko instead of Mao.

ITA about Mao's COC victory over Julia. Mao's skating overall was stronger than Julia's...but the fact of the matter was she didn't land many jumps cleanly in that competition. Other skaters would have been hammered for that and would not have been able to make up the point difference in PCS and GOE but Mao did. I definitely agree with her winning but what I said holds true: she won with a handful of triple jumps.

All of the top skaters receive a boost here and there and I'm fine with that. That's the way the sport has always been and will always be. Seniority and reputation factor into your scores and how you place in competitions. It's not always fair but it's just the way it is.