The decision that boiled your blood | Page 7 | Golden Skate

The decision that boiled your blood

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I think Yu-Na has good speed and nice centering on her spins which are two of the three things that make a spin great. I think the area she needs work is positioning. Her positions are decent but not great, except for her back position in her layback. It's lovely and very good; however, her leg and arm positions aren't that good which lessens the effect somewhat.

Getting off the general topic here, I think Yuna's spiral positions improved under Peter Oppegard, actually. Before him, she either (1) never did the arabesque spiral on the outside-edge, or (2) never got the chance to before the SpSq was abolished in 2011. Before then, she'd always do her arabesque in the inside edge, and then transition into her weird I'm-nonchalantly-throwing-my-jacket-behind-my-back catch-foot position on the outside edge.

(BP = Before Peter, AP = After Peter)

BP - Catch-foot spiral (2008-2009): http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Yu+Na+Kim+2008+Skate+America+Day+3+DbXOuINekt1x.jpg
AP - Catch-foot spiral (2010-2011): http://file2.cbs.co.kr/newsroom/image/2011/03/22114919296000_61000080.jpg

BP - Arabesque spiral (2009-2010): http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Yu+Na+Kim+Skate+America+FozHL1W-lkMx.jpg
BP - Arabesque spiral (2009-2010): http://images.china.cn/attachement/jpg/site1007/20100225/000d87ad41a00cf060f761.jpg
AP - Arabesque spiral (2010-2011) - Practice :thumbsup:: http://xportsnews.hankyung.com/contents/images/upload/article/2011/0322/1300761196744.jpg
AP - Arabesque spiral (2010-2011) - Practice/All That Skate show: http://oi41.tinypic.com/r2813c.jpg

YouTube - Before Peter versus After Peter. Her turn-out/free leg position seems quite improved. Flexibility is still "meh", but I'll take what I can get.

It's really a shame she hasn't worked on her positions with him since then. :eek:hwell: Her arabesque spiral (2012-2013) has reverted back to its earlier forms: http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/...da3cced3f6ae901e93901203f9224_zps3478ae9a.jpg

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
Getting off the general topic here, I think Yuna's spiral positions improved under Peter Oppegard, actually.
It's really a shame she hasn't worked on her positions with him since then. :eek:hwell: Her arabesque spiral (2012-2013) has reverted back to its earlier forms: http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/...da3cced3f6ae901e93901203f9224_zps3478ae9a.jpg
Oooh. I thought I was the only one who noticed this...and even then, I questioned myself because it's not as if I'm an expert on spiral subtleties. It's hard to tell from the different angles...She hasn't reverted completely, but yes, I would agree that her spiral in 2011 was at its best*

*By her standards, not best ever from everyone and of all time forever

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Oooh. I thought I was the only one who noticed this...and even then, I questioned myself because it's not as if I'm an expert on spiral subtleties. It's hard to tell from the different angles...I don't think she has reverted completely, but yes, I would agree that her spiral in 2011 was at its best.

To be honest, maybe Yuna's spirals just look *better* when they're on the outside edge. I found this image from her "Imagine" program.

http://cfile236.uf.daum.net/image/017C9C4751C5C276033D28

... versus the spiral she did in "Les Miserables" and her earlier programs with the exception of "Homage to Korea", which were all done on the inside edge.

gmyers

Record Breaker
From notes at the time. In Nagano there were 4 judges from former Soviet Union (Lithuania, Ukraine, Czech Republic, Russia). The French judge was changed by the French Association to one who was known to be more supportive of Anissina &Peizerat than Moniotte & Lavanchy - Peizerat’s godfather, in fact. (Moniotte & Lavanchy who were silver medalists at 1994 Worlds and bronze medalists in 1995, placed 10th in the CDs, 12th in the OD and 11th in the FD and overall.) If anyone was “screwed” one could certainly make a case here.
Judges: Senft, CAN, Gordon-Poltorak, POL (current chair of the ISU Ice Dance Committee), Gasiorowska, LTU, Balkov, UKR, Denzer, GER, Portova, CZE, Shekovtseva, RUS, Zuccaro, ITA, Hamel, FRA (Horen USA was substitute).

Watching all practices as I was required to do, Bourne & Kraatz did not practice well the week leading into the CDs. Whether this was something that contributed to their score for the Golden Waltz is impossible to know for certain, but judges do watch some practices. B&K received two 3rds (Canada&Germany), two 4ths (Poland/Lithuania) and 5 5ths from the other judges. Contacted after this event, Lawrence Demmy, VP of the ISU and a former Ice Dance world champion (1952-55) said he noted 3 errors in their waltz, while Canadian judge Jean Senft said she saw only one.

Though G&P won both CDs, the tally wasn’t unanimous as they looked nervous and tense and had an obvious error in the waltz. (Being Olympic and world champions just does give you extra cred, deservedly or not.) Platov also fell in the warm up for their Jailhouse Rock OD, and they barely won this portion of the event over Krylova/Ovsiannikov who were 2nd. A&P were 3rd and B&K 4th. Bourne & Kraatz changed their Jive OD to new music, Greased Lightning, after criticism at the Championship Series Final (now known as the Grand Prix) that it was too slow. In the FD, Senft placed B&K’s Riverdance 2nd, 4 judges gave them 3rd place. A&P were 3rd.

Bourne & Kraatz took 3rd in their Riverdance FD, but because of their 5th in the CDs, couldn’t move into medal position. A&P were 4th in their Romeo & Juliet FD but won bronze, K&P’s Carmen was 2nd for silver, and G&P won gold their Memorial FD.

Punsalan & Swallow skated first of the 24 couples and although they skated very well throughout the competition, the US had little dance world cred at that time to beat Lobacheva & Averbuck or Fusar-Poli & Margaglio of Italy especially with no US judge on the panel.

For my personal opinion, B&K were definitely slighted in the Waltz CD. However, I found their OD simplistic, and their Riverdance, although fun to watch, technically it had too much side-by-side skating and very easy dance holds compared to the top three.

There was a pretty strong case for K&O to win gold with their Carmen FD and I probably would have gone in that direction over G&P’s Memorial.
Anissina & Peizerat’s OD was fast and had strong choreo, as did their Romeo & Juliet FD which was mesmerizing, so I definitely would have had them 3 overall, but I understand why some were upset over the results. If B&K hadn’t been 5th in the CDs, they would have won bronze in Nagano.

This analysis is very appreciated but Czech was not soviet just in soviet block like Poland. former soviet union and former communist soviet block. I don't think any country in the former soviet block was as hostile to all things Russian than Poland and no soviet republic was more anti Russia than Lithuania.

prettykeys

Medalist
To be honest, maybe Yuna's spirals just look *better* when they're on the outside edge. I found this image from her "Imagine" program.

http://cfile236.uf.daum.net/image/017C9C4751C5C276033D28

... versus the spiral she did in "Les Miserables" and her earlier programs with the exception of "Homage to Korea", which were all done on the inside edge.
Perhaps. :) Like I said, I don't know enough to be able to point out the differences and it might even vary by individual skaters from performance to performance.

I would have loved for someone who has a better eye to analyze it, but I'm guessing that skating fans who are crazy about spirals aren't going to look to YuNa's and pay much attention...and yes, for many YuNa fans she can do no wrong so they probably weren't comparing whether the 2013 spiral was better, worse, or the same as before. Regardless, the difference from 2013 isn't as obvious as from before-and-after-2011, so yes, Oppegard obviously had a hand in that.

From notes at the time. In Nagano there were 4 judges from former Soviet Union (Lithuania, Ukraine, Czech Republic, Russia). The French judge was changed by the French Association to one who was known to be more supportive of Anissina &Peizerat than Moniotte & Lavanchy - Peizerat’s godfather, in fact. (Moniotte & Lavanchy who were silver medalists at 1994 Worlds and bronze medalists in 1995, placed 10th in the CDs, 12th in the OD and 11th in the FD and overall.) If anyone was “screwed” one could certainly make a case here.
Judges: Senft, CAN, Gordon-Poltorak, POL (current chair of the ISU Ice Dance Committee), Gasiorowska, LTU, Balkov, UKR, Denzer, GER, Portova, CZE, Shekovtseva, RUS, Zuccaro, ITA, Hamel, FRA (Horen USA was substitute).

Watching all practices as I was required to do, Bourne & Kraatz did not practice well the week leading into the CDs. Whether this was something that contributed to their score for the Golden Waltz is impossible to know for certain, but judges do watch some practices. B&K received two 3rds (Canada&Germany), two 4ths (Poland/Lithuania) and 5 5ths from the other judges. Contacted after this event, Lawrence Demmy, VP of the ISU and a former Ice Dance world champion (1952-55) said he noted 3 errors in their waltz, while Canadian judge Jean Senft said she saw only one.

Though G&P won both CDs, the tally wasn’t unanimous as they looked nervous and tense and had an obvious error in the waltz. (Being Olympic and world champions just does give you extra cred, deservedly or not.) Platov also fell in the warm up for their Jailhouse Rock OD, and they barely won this portion of the event over Krylova/Ovsiannikov who were 2nd. A&P were 3rd and B&K 4th. Bourne & Kraatz changed their Jive OD to new music, Greased Lightning, after criticism at the Championship Series Final (now known as the Grand Prix) that it was too slow. In the FD, Senft placed B&K’s Riverdance 2nd, 4 judges gave them 3rd place. A&P were 3rd.

Bourne & Kraatz took 3rd in their Riverdance FD, but because of their 5th in the CDs, couldn’t move into medal position. A&P were 4th in their Romeo & Juliet FD but won bronze, K&P’s Carmen was 2nd for silver, and G&P won gold their Memorial FD.

Punsalan & Swallow skated first of the 24 couples and although they skated very well throughout the competition, the US had little dance world cred at that time to beat Lobacheva & Averbuck or Fusar-Poli & Margaglio of Italy especially with no US judge on the panel.

For my personal opinion, B&K were definitely slighted in the Waltz CD. However, I found their OD simplistic, and their Riverdance, although fun to watch, technically it had too much side-by-side skating and very easy dance holds compared to the top three.

There was a pretty strong case for K&O to win gold with their Carmen FD and I probably would have gone in that direction over G&P’s Memorial.
Anissina & Peizerat’s OD was fast and had strong choreo, as did their Romeo & Juliet FD which was mesmerizing, so I definitely would have had them 3 overall, but I understand why some were upset over the results. If B&K hadn’t been 5th in the CDs, they would have won bronze in Nagano.

Thanks for all these helpful details! I don't have the eye you do, or the expertise (which is why I'm always so happy to get your insights), but I do recall that it was Annissina/Piezerat's Romeo and Juliet program that made me sit up and take notice of them. I actually found their 2002 free dance a letdown after that magnificent performance. The music in 2002 was rather overwrought, and the concept of the dance somewhat forced, whereas with the Prokofiev there was a clear narrative and compelling characterization, which added to the fluidity of the dance. I'm glad they won in 2002, to be sure, but I much preferred their Romeo and Juliet. Mesmerizing is exactly the word for it.

LRK

Record Breaker
Gotta say the first thing I did when I saw Josh's name on the list for both SC and CoR was wince, because that's a tough pair of assignments. Nonetheless, I am confident that Josh can be the top US man at SC (he's already beaten Jeremy), and he should hold his own at CoR against Dornbush.

Kovtun's assignment at CoC is actually a fair bit tougher than it looks, and almost as tough as SC. Han Yan beat Josh at JWC in 2012, don't forget, and only missed JGPF last year because he was having uncharacteristic problems. Then he turned around and medalled at 4CC, which is no small feat. Nan Song has always been a pretty good skater, Kevin Reynolds has the tech to fight him, Denis Ten is the reigning world silver medallist. No, CoC is definitely not as straightforward as it seems.

As to CoR, well, I guess it becomes the young guns learning from the older experienced skaters, the apprentices learning from the masters. I think Plushenko will take them all, of course, so there's no question of a direct comparison between him and Kovtun - but a lot there depends on who the third Russian man is there. They may choose to give Gachinski a second or Menshov. And in either case, Kovtun will HAVE to beat him to salvage a reputation on the National level. And both those men have an axe to grind that they'll be only too happy to grind on Kovtun.

What I will be looking for in terms of comparison is not just the simple stuff of scores and jumps landed. How did they do relative to their countrymen at the same event (if any)? Did he make a mistake? If he did, how well did he recover from that? Is he rotating his jumps? Is he looking nervous, anxious, unsettled?

For Kovtun in China: How does he stand up against Han Yan? How does he compare to Reynolds and Dornbush? How close is he to Ten in scores?

For Farris in Canada: Ignoring Chan who will be chanflated anyway, how does he go against Abbott and Miner? How does he compare to the Japanese? What's he like against Brezina?

Of course there are other wildcards floating around as well. Max Aaron is going to be a major force in this GP series. Jason Brown, Artur Gachinski and Konstantin Menshov all have opportunities to cause upsets at their respective single events. And of course, the ultimate wildcard is simply: it's the Olympic season.

And that's going to be an interesting factor. Kovtun is still expected to be the alternate for Sochi by Tarasova (and presumably the fed). Joshua is not expected to make the Sochi team. He is considered a dark horse, in contention if he skates well enough, but not in the first row. Still, he is being talked about. How will both of them hold up under that pressure?

Thanks, karne, for such a well-thought-out and thought-provoking post! I think it's the longest I've ever seen you write, but every word worth reading - you should do this more often. :)

Oh, I don't think that Kovtun's assignment is by any means easy - or that he has any great chance of winning a medal. It's just that, on first look, at least, Farris' opposition looked more formidable. But as you say, there are certainly other ways of comparison other than medals! Drat! I'm almost looking forward to the GP now - and I tried not to do that to myself! Last year, I was really looking forward to it, and even though the men's event did produce some good to brilliant performances, as a whole it did disappoint horribly. The potential was just so much higher than what was actually produced. And now I cannot help thinking that it may turn out quite fascinating. Well, whatever the outcome, I believe this season will be quite unique. It being the last season for so many veterans, and the GP getting some new blood - I can't help but think that it must be rather... thrilling for some of the new seniors to skate against some of the skaters they've grown up watching. I was thinking, for example, that when Plushy did his first seniors - Farris and Kovtun would have been... what?... 3?4? (I, unlike Mathman, am awful at maths, so if I'm far off hopefully someone will set me straight!) And Brian and Dai, for example, have been at it quite some time too! Let's hope this will be a great send-off for them - and a great introduction for the newcomers - and progress for those in between - and no blood-boiling decisions from the judges, please! (Yeah, I don't have much hope of the latter; still... hope springs eternal and what-not.... :) )

Aww, shucks guys! Thanks! *blushes and giggles* It's called Naked Ice but I probably should have given the name more thought. :laugh: I get really disturbed when I check the stats and see that a lot of people stumble across my blog due to searching for, ahem, other things...:eek:

It's a pretty balanced blog no matter your skater preference. I do try hard to be as objective as I can be by offering constructive criticism rather than just tearing people down...but I let the snark sneak in every now and then. ;)

I used to post notices about updates in the announcement section here before the mods banned it but I do post update news on FSU (there's a thread in Great Skate Debate) as well as on a few other sites. I joined Twitter before nationals last year (@NakedIceBlog) so I tweet whenever I update too. I love to write and I love jabbering about skating so it just seemed right to do a blog. I'm doing my "Off Season Fun" stuff (fashion reviews, program reviews, polls) until the JGP season starts.

Thanks so much for reading and saying such nice things! It does make me feel good to know other people enjoy it. :)

I found the blog and have read about the ladies' Worlds programs. Very enjoyable and clear. I look forward to reading more. Also, I agree about the two costumes, Li's and Gedevanishvili's. They are indeed stunning.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Am I the only person here who thought Kerrigan was wrong in that robbery in Norway. Two wonderful programs after nearly losing her leg. Don't get me wrong young Oksana was special, and skated from her heart. And she would have been a star whether silver or gold in the whack explosion. I was so pleased and surprised for Nancy-what guts she had, the world down her throat, and every word scrutinized. I enjoy her skating and loved her true Irish Princess look on the ice-wow. Her LP was iconic in the Vera Dress and I think she may have doubled a flip in her lp-or was it the lutz? At any rate, Oksana made many mistakes and her ending was a hot mess.

Nancy lost by one tenth of a point due to the German judge Jan Hoffman was it? That must still hurt after she fought her way back. Makes my blood boil people recall her silly Mickey mouse comments more than her two Olympic medals. She has some very nice pro skates while birthing 3 kids Nancy was a great role model for skaters-she went thru more than most charmed skaters like Kwan or Yama. Anyone else appalled by Norway? I wish I had a sister like Nancy-her brother was saved by her love and her support. What an Olympian - And I am still an Oksana fan. Sadly fame went to her head very fast, poor little thing.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Am I the only person here who thought Kerrigan was wrong in that robbery in Norway. Two wonderful programs after nearly losing her leg. Don't get me wrong young Oksana was special, and skated from her heart. And she would have been a star whether silver or gold in the whack explosion. I was so pleased and surprised for Nancy-what guts she had, the world down her throat, and every word scrutinized. I enjoy her skating and loved her true Irish Princess look on the ice-wow. Her LP was iconic in the Vera Dress and I think she may have doubled a flip in her lp-or was it the lutz? At any rate, Oksana made many mistakes and her ending was a hot mess.

Nancy lost by one tenth of a point due to the German judge Jan Hoffman was it? That must still hurt after she fought her way back. Makes my blood boil people recall her silly Mickey mouse comments more than her two Olympic medals. She has some very nice pro skates while birthing 3 kids Nancy was a great role model for skaters-she went thru more than most charmed skaters like Kwan or Yama. Anyone else appalled by Norway? I wish I had a sister like Nancy-her brother was saved by her love and her support. What an Olympian - And I am still an Oksana fan. Sadly fame went to her head very fast, poor little thing.

I thought Nancy should have won in Lillehammer too.

Krislite

Medalist

Oh my goodness, something we can agree on! :biggrin: I thought Kerrigan should have won, too.

prettykeys

Medalist
I, too, thought Nancy Kerrigan should have won, but it didn't boil my blood that Oksana Baiul did.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Well like Salt Lake, I can see how Oksana won. if you have Oksana second technically but wins artistically goodbye gold medal nancy. Oksana has fought back. But Nancy did not almost lose her leg - her injury in her 13,000 dollar Vera Wang was nothing compared to Oksana getting stabbed by the GErman girls blade and then fall into her calf muscle.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Actually, Hofman was interviewed later and said if he'd had instant replay and had realized Baiul's Lutz was 2 footed (along with the other mistakes), he would have dropped her a tenth technically thus giving the win to Kerrigan. I was PO'd at the time, but then realized that Baiul's program construction was so good as to hide her technical errors, so good for her!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thanks, karne, for such a well-thought-out and thought-provoking post! I think it's the longest I've ever seen you write, but every word worth reading - you should do this more often. :)

Oh, I don't think that Kovtun's assignment is by any means easy - or that he has any great chance of winning a medal. It's just that, on first look, at least, Farris' opposition looked more formidable. But as you say, there are certainly other ways of comparison other than medals! Drat! I'm almost looking forward to the GP now - and I tried not to do that to myself! Last year, I was really looking forward to it, and even though the men's event did produce some good to brilliant performances, as a whole it did disappoint horribly. The potential was just so much higher than what was actually produced. And now I cannot help thinking that it may turn out quite fascinating. Well, whatever the outcome, I believe this season will be quite unique. It being the last season for so many veterans, and the GP getting some new blood - I can't help but think that it must be rather... thrilling for some of the new seniors to skate against some of the skaters they've grown up watching. I was thinking, for example, that when Plushy did his first seniors - Farris and Kovtun would have been... what?... 3?4? (I, unlike Mathman, am awful at maths, so if I'm far off hopefully someone will set me straight!) And Brian and Dai, for example, have been at it quite some time too! Let's hope this will be a great send-off for them - and a great introduction for the newcomers - and progress for those in between - and no blood-boiling decisions from the judges, please! (Yeah, I don't have much hope of the latter; still... hope springs eternal and what-not.... :) )

I think the absolute key for the GP rookies (Aaron not so much, but Farris, Kovtun, Yan and Brown), is that people analyse their PERFORMANCES rather than the result. For example, the field at TEB is so ridiculous that Brown could finish as low as 9th quite easily, and we all know how brilliant he is. But the key will be for the USFSA in particular not to panic and freak and think he can't do it, because he can, he just got a crazy field for his GP debut. And being a rookie he may not pull the PCS that he does in Juniors or that he deserves.

Well like Salt Lake, I can see how Oksana won. if you have Oksana second technically but wins artistically goodbye gold medal nancy. Oksana has fought back. But Nancy did not almost lose her leg - her injury in her 13,000 dollar Vera Wang was nothing compared to Oksana getting stabbed by the GErman girls blade and then fall into her calf muscle.

I also thought that Nancy should have won. I preferred her powerful flowing motion to Oksana's fussy, over-ornamented style (though I loved Oksana's short program). As for Nancy's leg injury, she of course wasn't in danger of losing her leg, but an inch or two in another direction and she might have lost the use of it. What they were trying to do was kneecap her, and that's an injury that it's not easy to come back from. If her kneecap had been badly broken, she would not have skated again, or been able to take part in other sports such as jogging. My blood still runs cold when I think of this.

I agree with Skateluvr that Nancy seems to have picked herself up and created a good life for herself and her family. Even in tragedy she has behaved with dignity and compassion. As with Princess Kate and Diana, the difference between Nancy and Oksana comes down to the presence or absence of a strong, supportive family. Even with her troubled brother, Nancy always had a family behind her, and she seems to have created a new generation with tight bonds. Oksana was hampered from the get-go by abandonment and loss. I think that even if she had not won in 1994, she would have descended into trouble back in Dnieperpetrovsk. I do hope for a better future for her.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I agree Nancy should have won gold in Lillehammer. And I am not necessarily a huge Nancy fan--in fact, I think Oksana at her best was a more talented skater. But Nancy's programs at Lillehammer were the best of her career, and IMO she deserved the win.

EricRohmer

On the Ice
the Kimflation at Olys and 2013 worlds is mindboggling.

You seem to forget that there was an underscore issue for Yuna at 2013WC SP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyw2uuvXTsQ (British guys' Kim comment at Caro's scores-up time)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ahs1ggmYLE (British guys' Kim comment at Mao's replay time)

As for LP..
Canada Quebec's commentator praised like this.
"You're living a time I've never testified!
Since I comment figure skating in 25 years, I never seen a performance like that!
Never never never never! We get the privilege to see this together."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTeSbVLiGWY (4:35~)

Whether agree or not in detail for this compliment, anyway this will mean Yuna's LP performance was that good. Enough to win by a big margin.
Actually, some commentators (including Tracy Wilson) even predicted WR scores for Yuna LP.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
You seem to forget that there was an underscore issue for Yuna at 2013WC SP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyw2uuvXTsQ (British guys' comment at Caro's scores-up time)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ahs1ggmYLE (British guys' comment at Mao's replay time)

Whether agree or not in detail for this compliment, anyway this will mean Yuna's LP performane was that good. Enough to win by a big margin.
Actually, some commentators (including Tracy Wilson) even predicted WR scores for Yuna LP.

Agreed. Whatever her marks were, she was overwhelmingly the winner, and it was her own WR that would have been beaten anyways. And in the SP her marks were underscored as you said. I don't get why people are so outraged. The Russian pair was massively overscored too, but who cares if they win by a lot or a little, when they deserved to win. More outrageous were Chan, Kostner and the Germans' scores/placements at this past Worlds.

As far as decisions that boil my blood, there's not many that are so outrageous, but there have certainly been questionable victories. Suzuki's NHK loss to Mao was pretty much the worst in recent memory. SLC pairs was also infuriating in the moment, but then it got "resolved".