Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How many champ/elite skaters were only kids?

Custom Title
    I know Elaine Zayak had an older sister. She may also have had a brother -- I don't remember for sure.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Evan Lysacek has sisters, I don´t remember how many (2 or 3).
    As far a I remember he has two sisters, one is older and the other one is younger. Hope I'm not wrong.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Looking back, I think Dorothy Hamill was an only child, but Peggy Fleming has two or three sisters, and Janet Lynn has several brothers. Michelle Kwan of course has Karen, plus a brother. I think Tara Lipinski is an only child, but Sarah Hughes has several siblings, including skater Emily. And Alissa has a twin. Then there are the most successful skating siblings, Hayes and David Jenkins, each an Olympic gold medalist.

What's difficult for skating champions' parents is probably keeping the other sibling(s) in the spotlight as well. Money is only part of the problem: it's also time. Skate parents spend a lot of time ferrying the skater to and from practice, sitting in the rink and waiting, and maybe traveling to competitions when the child is young. What's left over for the other siblings' class play or violin recital? I read the post that YuNa's sister had to give up her dreams of singing, and I feel sad for her. I wonder why she couldn't try her hand at singing now: it isn't as if you have to be a certain age to embark on a singing career. It's not like skating, where your skills peak and then diminish.
    Hamill has two older siblings.
    Hughes has five siblings
    Lysacek has one older and one younger sister

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by vera01 View Post
    I'm wondering if both Davis/White are only children. I've never heard about them having any sisters or brothers.
    Davis has a younger brother, Clayton. White is the youngest in a family of three older sisters, Emily, Stephanie, Lindsay and an older brother Jason.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Carol Heiss had a sister Nancy and brother, both of whom skated. Nancy was US Junior champion in 1955 and senior silver medallist in 1959. Wikipedia has no separate entry for Bruce.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3