How many champ/elite skaters were only kids? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How many champ/elite skaters were only kids?

cinnamon

On the Ice
Looking back, I think Dorothy Hamill was an only child, but Peggy Fleming has two or three sisters, and Janet Lynn has several brothers. Michelle Kwan of course has Karen, plus a brother. I think Tara Lipinski is an only child, but Sarah Hughes has several siblings, including skater Emily. And Alissa has a twin. Then there are the most successful skating siblings, Hayes and David Jenkins, each an Olympic gold medalist.
Janet Lynn has a younger sister.
Midori Ito has an older brother and a younger sister.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looking back, I think Dorothy Hamill was an only child, but Peggy Fleming has two or three sisters, and Janet Lynn has several brothers. Michelle Kwan of course has Karen, plus a brother. I think Tara Lipinski is an only child, but Sarah Hughes has several siblings, including skater Emily. And Alissa has a twin. Then there are the most successful skating siblings, Hayes and David Jenkins, each an Olympic gold medalist.

Dorothy Hamill has a brother.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
like they were named after famous people that most people on your side of the Atlantic would be familiar with, but people on this side of the Atlantic would not.

Methinks you need to revise your geography...as Australia is nowhere near the Atlantic. :p ;)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I though it was something more complicated, like they were named after famous people that most people on your side of the Atlantic would be familiar with, but people on this side of the Atlantic would not.

Methinks you need to revise your geography...as Australia is nowhere near the Atlantic. :p ;)

Oops! :eek: Sorry, Karne! :eek:: I forgot you were the Australian member. :slink:

Oh well, I suppose it's easy to forget who is who when you haven't been chatting on the forum for a while. And because you've taken your location off your profile, there wasn't anything to remind me.

But, that's no excuse for me saying something stupid! I will be more careful in thinking about what I write in future.

Apologies again.

CaroLiza_fan (who from now on should probably be known as "The Thick Paddy"!!!)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oops! :eek: Sorry, Karne! :eek:: I forgot you were the Australian member. :slink:

Oh well, I suppose it's easy to forget who is who when you haven't been chatting on the forum for a while. And because you've taken your location off your profile, there wasn't anything to remind me.

But, that's no excuse for me saying something stupid! I will be more careful in thinking about what I write in future.

Apologies again.

CaroLiza_fan (who from now on should probably be known as "The Thick Paddy"!!!)

Awwww, don't feel bad :) My penchant for young American men probably confuses many! :)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Awwww, don't feel bad :) My penchant for young American men probably confuses many! :)

And my penchant for young Russian ladies probably does the same!!! ;) :laugh:

I'm wondering if both Davis/White are only children. I've never heard about them having any sisters or brothers.

Getting back on subject, and the Ice Network profile for Davis/White tells us that Charlie is the youngest of five children (one brother and three sisters):

http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=38007&mode=P

Unfortunately, they do not go into any more details about his family.

Ice Network also tells us that Meryl has a younger brother called Clayton who, at the time it was written, was 22. There is a photo of them with their grandparents at the bottom of this story on the Team USA website:

http://www.teamusa.org/Road-to-Sochi-2014/Features/2013/March/11/Meryl-Davis-Canadian-Connection

Neither website mentions any other siblings for Meryl, so I assume that it is just her and Clayton.

CaroLiza_fan

gkelly

Record Breaker
I know Elaine Zayak had an older sister. She may also have had a brother -- I don't remember for sure.

Nigel

On the Ice

What's difficult for skating champions' parents is probably keeping the other sibling(s) in the spotlight as well. Money is only part of the problem: it's also time. Skate parents spend a lot of time ferrying the skater to and from practice, sitting in the rink and waiting, and maybe traveling to competitions when the child is young. What's left over for the other siblings' class play or violin recital? I read the post that YuNa's sister had to give up her dreams of singing, and I feel sad for her. I wonder why she couldn't try her hand at singing now: it isn't as if you have to be a certain age to embark on a singing career. It's not like skating, where your skills peak and then diminish.

Hamill has two older siblings.
Hughes has five siblings
Lysacek has one older and one younger sister

KKonas

Medalist
I'm wondering if both Davis/White are only children. I've never heard about them having any sisters or brothers.

Davis has a younger brother, Clayton. White is the youngest in a family of three older sisters, Emily, Stephanie, Lindsay and an older brother Jason.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Carol Heiss had a sister Nancy and brother, both of whom skated. Nancy was US Junior champion in 1955 and senior silver medallist in 1959. Wikipedia has no separate entry for Bruce.