Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35

Thread: How many champ/elite skaters were only kids?

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    560
    I'm wondering if both Davis/White are only children. I've never heard about them having any sisters or brothers.

  2. #17
    Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,790
    Quote Originally Posted by vera01 View Post
    I'm wondering if both Davis/White are only children. I've never heard about them having any sisters or brothers.
    As mentioned above in post #2, Davis has at least one brother. The same for White.

    When asked to give advice to other "skating moms," the mothers of Davis and White say (among other points they make) that it is important for siblings who do not skate to receive as much parental attention as those who do.

  3. #18
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    39
    Elena Radionova and Julia Lipnitskaia are definitely only kids. I´m nor sure about Mirai Nagasu.

  4. #19
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie-Anna View Post
    Elena Radionova and Julia Lipnitskaia are definitely only kids. I´m nor sure about Mirai Nagasu.
    Nagasu is an only. However, I do think that at least half of all elite skaters do have siblings and there's not much correlation at all. It is interesting to see who are only children and not though

    Sasha Cohen has a sister.

  5. #20
    EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Co. Tyrone, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,206
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Jason Brown has an older sister (Jordan) and a younger brother (Dylan - I see what you did there, Mr and Mrs Brown!). His older sister was the reason he started skating but she doesn't anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    It's probably because I'm Irish, and this is probably a reference most Americans would understand, but I'm afraid I don't know what you are getting at here. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Jord-AN
    Jas-ON
    Dyl-AN

    Same endings, all pronounced the same
    Ah, so it's as straightforward as that! D'oh!

    I though it was something more complicated, like they were named after famous people that most people on your side of the Atlantic would be familiar with, but people on this side of the Atlantic would not.

    Methinks I think too much!

    CaroLiza_fan

  6. #21
    Custom Title cinnamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Looking back, I think Dorothy Hamill was an only child, but Peggy Fleming has two or three sisters, and Janet Lynn has several brothers. Michelle Kwan of course has Karen, plus a brother. I think Tara Lipinski is an only child, but Sarah Hughes has several siblings, including skater Emily. And Alissa has a twin. Then there are the most successful skating siblings, Hayes and David Jenkins, each an Olympic gold medalist.
    Janet Lynn has a younger sister.
    Midori Ito has an older brother and a younger sister.

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Looking back, I think Dorothy Hamill was an only child, but Peggy Fleming has two or three sisters, and Janet Lynn has several brothers. Michelle Kwan of course has Karen, plus a brother. I think Tara Lipinski is an only child, but Sarah Hughes has several siblings, including skater Emily. And Alissa has a twin. Then there are the most successful skating siblings, Hayes and David Jenkins, each an Olympic gold medalist.
    Dorothy Hamill has a brother.

  8. #23
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,777
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    like they were named after famous people that most people on your side of the Atlantic would be familiar with, but people on this side of the Atlantic would not.
    Methinks you need to revise your geography...as Australia is nowhere near the Atlantic. :P

  9. #24
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Evgeni Plushenko has a younger sister whom he provides for.
    Plushenko's sister is older, not younger.

  10. #25
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,931
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    Plushenko's sister is older, not younger.
    yes, but Plushy cares for her and helps them , because she divorced from her husband ...

  11. #26
    EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Co. Tyrone, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,206
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    I though it was something more complicated, like they were named after famous people that most people on your side of the Atlantic would be familiar with, but people on this side of the Atlantic would not.
    Methinks you need to revise your geography...as Australia is nowhere near the Atlantic. :P
    Oops! Sorry, Karne! I forgot you were the Australian member.

    Oh well, I suppose it's easy to forget who is who when you haven't been chatting on the forum for a while. And because you've taken your location off your profile, there wasn't anything to remind me.

    But, that's no excuse for me saying something stupid! I will be more careful in thinking about what I write in future.

    Apologies again.

    CaroLiza_fan (who from now on should probably be known as "The Thick Paddy"!!!)

  12. #27
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,777
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    Oops! Sorry, Karne! I forgot you were the Australian member.

    Oh well, I suppose it's easy to forget who is who when you haven't been chatting on the forum for a while. And because you've taken your location off your profile, there wasn't anything to remind me.

    But, that's no excuse for me saying something stupid! I will be more careful in thinking about what I write in future.

    Apologies again.

    CaroLiza_fan (who from now on should probably be known as "The Thick Paddy"!!!)
    Awwww, don't feel bad My penchant for young American men probably confuses many!

  13. #28
    EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Co. Tyrone, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,206
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Awwww, don't feel bad My penchant for young American men probably confuses many!
    And my penchant for young Russian ladies probably does the same!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by vera01 View Post
    I'm wondering if both Davis/White are only children. I've never heard about them having any sisters or brothers.
    Getting back on subject, and the Ice Network profile for Davis/White tells us that Charlie is the youngest of five children (one brother and three sisters):

    http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/de...d=38007&mode=P

    Unfortunately, they do not go into any more details about his family.

    Ice Network also tells us that Meryl has a younger brother called Clayton who, at the time it was written, was 22. There is a photo of them with their grandparents at the bottom of this story on the Team USA website:

    http://www.teamusa.org/Road-to-Sochi...ian-Connection

    Neither website mentions any other siblings for Meryl, so I assume that it is just her and Clayton.

    CaroLiza_fan

  14. #29
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,997
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    Dorothy Hamill has a brother.
    Thanks for the correction. I had forgotten.

  15. #30
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    3,548
    Evan Lysacek has sisters, I don´t remember how many (2 or 3).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •