Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Piper Gilles' Citizenship Drive in Time for Sochi

Hybrid View

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar

Piper Gilles' Citizenship Drive in Time for Sochi

Apparently, the rules for second generation returning Canadians is not immediate. Piper's mother's application does not get her a quick trip to a Canadian passport, due to a recent change in Canadian immigration law. The following article from the Star describes what's going on.

If you are fans of Piper and Paul, I suggest you not read the comments, because they are not particularly kind.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/amateu...irier%2Fpage17

The Star has an editorial supporting Piper getting her citizenship prior to Sochi. Comments are disabled.

Editorial
    http://www.thestar.com/opinion/edito...editorial.html

I'm afraid that G&P's 18th place finish at Worlds did not exactly help their cause, since expedited citizenship is based on exceptional service to Canada.

In fact the tone of the article is that G&P's place on the Canadian Olympic team is guaranteed, when there are 3 or 4 other teams who might pass them at Canadians, including Paul & Islam, Orford & Williams, and Ralph & Hill, especially since Paul's broken ankle and result surgery may impede their training this year.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 07-23-2013 at 08:50 AM.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    BTW, in connection with the article, the front page of the hard-copy edition of The Star had a giant photo of Gilles/Poirier. A headline printed in red and the portion of the photo showing Gilles' face were above the fold. (Not the front page of the sports section. The front page of the first section. )

@PiperGilles
    Front page of the @TorontoStar !!! This is unreal !! Check it out pic.twitter.com/UqmZb5CaeN
    6:31 AM - 19 Jul 13
    https://twitter.com/PiperGilles/stat...17484203081728

One of CAN Fund @CANFUND's reply tweets:
    I just sent an email to the Minister of Immigration. That should clear this issue up! #hopeso @PiperGilles @TorontoStar @PaulDPoirier
    6:55 AM - 19 Jul 13
    https://twitter.com/CANFUND/status/358223697133305857
    Wonder whether CAN Fund really has that kind of clout??

ETA:
    Hmmmm, as of just this month, Canada has a new Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, who happens to be from Ontario.

Custom Title
    I just never will understand how someone can just so blithely turn around and represent another country. Will never be able to fathom it. Even worse, they go to try and represent another country because they weren't good enough in their home country! How can that possibly make them happy inside?

But then what do I know? My blood runs green and gold but it'll never be put to the test for sporting achievement...

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    I just never will understand how someone can just so blithely turn around and represent another country. Will never be able to fathom it. Even worse, they go to try and represent another country because they weren't good enough in their home country! How can that possibly make them happy inside?

But then what do I know? My blood runs green and gold but it'll never be put to the test for sporting achievement...
    It's very difficult to find a partner, be that a girl looking or a boy, so I don't think it's a question of blithely switching countries, it's more like having to accept a boy from no matter what country, just to have a partner. Nobody chooses to skate for some of minor countries, it is just the only way they can get a partner.

Custom Title
    Piper Gilles sat "on the shelf" for two years after her former partner Zach Donohue ditched her for someone else (not his current partner Madison Hubbell). There were other vacancies in dance in the US during that time, but she couldn't get another American partner.

Piper's maternal grandmother IS Canadian, but her mother only recently applied for Canadian citizenship, and did it only to help her daughter's application along.

I do think it is presumptuous of Piper to think she is entitled to Canadian citizenship so she can go to Sochi, when it is by no means a done deal that G/P will get that third Canadian berth. Their performance at 2013 Worlds (18th) did nothing to help their chances, and that was before Paul broke his ankle. In the Gilles/Poirier partnership, Poirier is the one with the past glory, and Gilles the wannabe. When it comes to talent, the couple is by no means of the same caliber. Even in 2018, they may not be Canadian #1. Weaver/Poje seems poised to take over that spot after V/M retire.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Piper Gilles sat "on the shelf" for two years after her former partner Zach Donohue ditched her for someone else (not his current partner Madison Hubbell). There were other vacancies in dance in the US during that time, but she couldn't get another American partner.

Piper's maternal grandmother IS Canadian, but her mother only recently applied for Canadian citizenship, and did it only to help her daughter's application along.

I do think it is presumptuous of Piper to think she is entitled to Canadian citizenship so she can go to Sochi, when it is by no means a done deal that G/P will get that third Canadian berth. Their performance at 2013 Worlds (18th) did nothing to help their chances, and that was before Paul broke his ankle. In the Gilles/Poirier partnership, Poirier is the one with the past glory, and Gilles the wannabe. When it comes to talent, the couple is by no means of the same caliber. Even in 2018, they may not be Canadian #1. Weaver/Poje seems poised to take over that spot after V/M retire.
    The year before she was a "wannabe" starlet in Hollywood, when that didn't pan out she started looking for partners outside.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post

Does anyone know which American skaters Piper tried out with during her hiatus from competition?

Custom Title
    The "citizenship by descent" law only applies to first generation children...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules_2009.asp

If I am not mistaken, Piper's grandmother was Canadian. The law permits Piper's mother to apply for citizenship by descent. However since Piper is second generation born outside of Canada, she does not qualify under the changes.

What I don't understand is, this law was enacted as of 2009 according to the website. Piper and Paul did not get together until 2011. I was under the impression Piper's mother applied to activate her Canadian citizenship hoping to speed Piper's application. Did they not know about the 2009 law, or was there another plan?

Custom Title
    The third spot for Ice Dance at Canadians is wide open. Virtue/Moir are a lock, and I'd say it's safe to say Weaver/Poje are more than likely a lock on silver. Bronze is anyone's for the taking, it will likely be between Gilles/Porier (providing she gets her citizenship on time), Paul/Islam, Ralph/Hill, and Orford/Williams. So Gilles Porier aren't a lock for the team. A medal? I don't think so, top 15 is possible.

Caitlyn Weaver was born in the US, but has represented Canada for most of her career.

Great Idea for a threat for Canadian Ice Dance thread! Ice Dance in Canada is the best I think it's ever been!

Custom Title
    At first I had no opinion on Pipers citizenship. But their awesome freelance made me hope they get on the Oly team. That dance is innovative and awesome and "deserves" to be displayed on the Olympic stage.

On the Ice
    Just saw on Piper's facebook page from a friend a congratulations message about a swearing in ceremony but nothing official posted yet.
    Now the message is MIA.
    So I'm just guessing that she's got her citizenship now.

Not that I'm really pushing for them.. Really want Paul/Islam to go as they have shown so much improvement this year!!

Custom Title
    Maybe she joined the girl scouts.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Or joined the armed forces?

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrgirl View Post
    At first I had no opinion on Pipers citizenship. But their awesome freelance made me hope they get on the Oly team. That dance is innovative and awesome and "deserves" to be displayed on the Olympic stage.
    I honestly do not understand why clever choreography should promote a skater/team to outstanding levels. Maybe the choreographers should be receiving medals, then everyone might try a bit harder to make good programs.

Last I looked the marks are supposed to be attributed for skating. Given their lacklustre international marks, I think the international judges at least are looking past the choreo and not just handing out marks for choreography that "deserves ....the Olympic stage".

Much of the dance is reused moves from other pieces, and not all their's, innovative - not so much. Good choice of little used music though.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    I honestly do not understand why clever choreography should promote a skater/team to outstanding levels.
    It's a scored component in ice skating.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast