Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Piper Gilles' Citizenship Drive in Time for Sochi

Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    Actually, Canada has a bigger interest. According to a newspaper article, this baby is 3rd in line for the throne (Charles --> William --> Royal baby). Since whoever is monarch in England automatically becomes the monarch of Canada, this baby could eventually become the "King of Canada" someday.
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    rvi5, surely Mrs. P was making exactly the same point, although she and you have chosen different words to express it.
    Yes! My reference to the Commonwealth is the fact that the Royal Family is very much tied to Canadian life for better than worse, though when I wrote my post, I wasn't explicitly thinking of the royalty line.

Golden, regarding your question what kind of treatment V&M got when they won Gold, I haven't been able to find the front page from that day. However I did find this: http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/m...oposal-021413/

So cute!

Custom Title
    rvi5, surely Mrs. P was making exactly the same point, although she and you have chosen different words to express it.
    Yes, I understood Mrs. P's point. I was expanding on it by indicating there were more/larger reasons for Canadians to take an interest in the new baby.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    To me, it all was inherently understood as part of her reference to Canada's natural interest in the royal baby. YMMV.
    Will not belabor (pun intended ) my interpretation further.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Piper Gilles sat "on the shelf" for two years after her former partner Zach Donohue ditched her for someone else (not his current partner Madison Hubbell). There were other vacancies in dance in the US during that time, but she couldn't get another American partner.

Piper's maternal grandmother IS Canadian, but her mother only recently applied for Canadian citizenship, and did it only to help her daughter's application along.

I do think it is presumptuous of Piper to think she is entitled to Canadian citizenship so she can go to Sochi, when it is by no means a done deal that G/P will get that third Canadian berth. Their performance at 2013 Worlds (18th) did nothing to help their chances, and that was before Paul broke his ankle. In the Gilles/Poirier partnership, Poirier is the one with the past glory, and Gilles the wannabe. When it comes to talent, the couple is by no means of the same caliber. Even in 2018, they may not be Canadian #1. Weaver/Poje seems poised to take over that spot after V/M retire.
    Does anyone know which American skaters Piper tried out with during her hiatus from competition?

Custom Title
    What does this baby with no name from Britain have to do with the price of tea in China let alone figure skating??? Jeesh. Are we trying to suggest Katie and Willie's kid is the next Robin Cousins????

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    What does this baby with no name from Britain have to do with the price of tea in China let alone figure skating??? Jeesh. Are we trying to suggest Katie and Willie's kid is the next Robin Cousins????
    If you read the thread earlier, you'll see it was the case of thread drift. I was explaining the play of the G&P story and compared it to the coverage of the Royal Baby.

By the way, he does have a name! http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/p...unced/2581511/

Custom Title
    Oh, interesting analysis - comparing a team that may not even make the third spot on their national team to a future king and the most well known monarchy in the world. lol

Sorry for thread drift in another direction, but on the topic of Poirier's status post-injury:

FWIW, Gilles/Poirier are not listed among the performers in their club's show on Wed Aug 7 -- athough G/P are giving an autograph session.

I feel pretty sure that G/P have performed in this show in years past ...

Custom Title
    Not a surprise G/P aren't in the club show---Paul is recovering from a broken ankle.

Yes, I mentioned Poirier's injury in my post above. And the reason I made note of Gilles/Poirier's absence from the show is the possible(??) implication that his injury might(??) have been more severe than Kaitlyn Weaver's was.

IIRC, Poirier's injury occurred very early in May. So the show is about three months post-injury.

Weaver injured her ankle on Dec 14 and had surgery on Dec 18.
    Three months later, on Mar 14, Weaver/Poje placed sixth in the SD at London Worlds -- with a personal best score.

According to Sun Valley's website, G/P still are scheduled to perform in an ice show there later in August. Hope Poirier will be ready to skate then.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Yes, I mentioned Poirier's injury in my post above. And the reason I made note of Gilles/Poirier's absence from the show is the possible(??) implication that his injury might(??) have been more severe than Kaitlyn Weaver's.

IIRC, Poirier's injury occurred very early in May. So the show is about three months post-injury.

Weaver injured her ankle on Dec 14 and had surgery on Dec 18.
    Three months later, on Mar 14, Weaver/Poje placed sixth in the SD at London Worlds -- with a personal best score.

According to Sun Valley's website, G/P still are scheduled to perform in an ice show there later in August. Hope Poirier will be ready to skate then.
    That's a very good point. I hope that Paul is on the same recovery schedule as Kaitlyn, and the reason they did not appear is just that a show is not worth the risk to them, particularly as I suspect they do not get paid for a club show. The Sun Valley gig is a better test, since performers get paid for it. But I fear you are right, and Paul is not completely recovered, or they would have done the show.

On the Ice
    If I'm not mistaken, this annual Scarboro show is where teams debut their new programs, and program readiness may be another factor behind the team's decision not to skate.

Poirier is back on the ice.
    Verified by tweet from @PiperGilles.
    Not clear when exactly he returned to the ice.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    That's good to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    .... The Sun Valley gig is a better test, since performers get paid for it. ....
    Update:

Sun Valley Resort ‏@sunvalley
    We're sorry to announce that due to an injury @PiperGilles & @PaulDPoirier will not be performing at #SVOnIce on August 24.
    2:33 PM - 6 Aug 13
    https://twitter.com/sunvalley/status/364861916075663360

@PiperGilles
    @sunvalley We're so sad that we can't perform but when we are healthy we'd love to do the show. I can still remember doing the show as a kid
    6:22 PM - 6 Aug 13
    https://twitter.com/PiperGilles/stat...19564812812291

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast