Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Piper Gilles' Citizenship Drive in Time for Sochi

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Or joined the armed forces?

Rinkside
    I saw the same thing about a swearing in ceremony. She probably doesnt want anyone to know so that her detractors don't raise a fuss and complain. I sure hope she didnt jump the line in front of some other deserving people that have been waiting longer. I will never understand how she is viewed as providing some sort of special service to Canada.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    I saw the same thing about a swearing in ceremony. She probably doesnt want anyone to know so that her detractors don't raise a fuss and complain. I sure hope she didnt jump the line in front of some other deserving people that have been waiting longer. I will never understand how she is viewed as providing some sort of special service to Canada.
    There's not really a "queue" to jump when it comes to naturalization. A decision on her case won't affect other applications in any way, there's not a quota or anything you can't go above. Plus I don't really know what "deserving" means in this context.

Anyway, isn't her Mom Canadian? Is there a return migration policy in Canada she is using?

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MalloryArcher View Post
    ... Anyway, isn't her Mom Canadian? Is there a return migration policy in Canada she is using?
    The fact that Mama Gilles acquired Canadian citizenship has no bearing on Piper's application for citizenship for herself, according to posts earlier in this thread (including, but not limited to, those at the links below).

Custom Title
    Her GRANDMOTHER is a Canadian citizen, but her mother was born in the US. Her mother recently applied for Canadian citizenship but the law had been changed and that no longer helped Piper.

Custom Title
    Initially I heard Pipers mother applied to activate her Canadian citizenship to help speed Pipers application, but that does not make sense given the 2009 changes to the immigration act. It seems likely Piper's people would have contacted an immigration lawyer to discuss her situation, so they must have known about the changes to the law. I can only assume Piper's mother activated her citizenship because it would look better when Piper's case is reviewed. It is less impressive if the active Canadian connections are a grandmother and cousins, or if it became known Piper's mother qualified for citizenship by descent, but had no interest. Especially when Piper would like special treatment by having her citizenship application accelerated. It also doesn't hurt Piper's case when they consider she is attending university in Canada (Ryerson).

Custom Title
    There is an article in the Toronto Star today stating that Piper Gillies has received her citizenship.

http://read.thestar.com/?origref=htt...an-citizenship

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by trains View Post
    There is an article in the Toronto Star today stating that Piper Gillies has received her citizenship.

Seriously how long has Gillies even live in Canada? Tanith lived in the US for over 7 years and still had to get a special act from Congress to get her citizenship before the 2006 Olympics otherwise she was going to have to sit out another Olympics. And Piper is not even nearly as accomplished as Tanith was.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by trains View Post

Congratulations to Gillies. This probably solidifies their chances of making the Canadian Olympic Team. They have a brilliant FD this year.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    @PiperGilles
    Guess who has their citizenship ceremony at 1:39 today?!?!?!? This girl!!!!!😍😍❤️❤️❤️😀😀😄😭😭😄😀😛 So excited!!
    6:53 AM - 17 Dec 13
    https://twitter.com/PiperGilles/stat...58829286940672

Custom Title
    Congratulations to Piper! I love their FD and hope they get to skate it at the Olympics!

Custom Title
    This great news. Now they just have to qualify, but I think they have a fighting chance.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrgirl View Post
    At first I had no opinion on Pipers citizenship. But their awesome freelance made me hope they get on the Oly team. That dance is innovative and awesome and "deserves" to be displayed on the Olympic stage.
    I honestly do not understand why clever choreography should promote a skater/team to outstanding levels. Maybe the choreographers should be receiving medals, then everyone might try a bit harder to make good programs.

Last I looked the marks are supposed to be attributed for skating. Given their lacklustre international marks, I think the international judges at least are looking past the choreo and not just handing out marks for choreography that "deserves ....the Olympic stage".

Much of the dance is reused moves from other pieces, and not all their's, innovative - not so much. Good choice of little used music though.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    I honestly do not understand why clever choreography should promote a skater/team to outstanding levels.
    It's a scored component in ice skating.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    True, although the definition of the choreo mark includes items that are in the dancers' control, (like size of pattern/use of space) as well as items that come directly from the choreographer.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast