Thread: Piper Gilles' Citizenship Drive in Time for Sochi

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Poirier is back on the ice.
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    That's good to hear!
    Indeed!!!

Custom Title
    Problem is, most of the other ice dance teams have been working on their programs since the beginning of summer. P/G have a lot of lost time to make up, and Paul may not be able to train at full strength since he is still recovering from his injury. Piper may have been practicing in the meantime, but given the gap in ability between herself and Paul, her practicing alone isn't much help.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I have a feeling they will be beaten out for 3rd place at Canadians, and citizenship will be a moot point.
    Like when W/P got 3rd place in 2010...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    My early forecast is she doesnt get citizenship in time (although I also predict a 4th or 5th place at Canadians, so I see them 2 steps from making the team, not just 1).
    Yes, I tend to agree with you. I think there will be multiple teams vying for that 3rd spot. IMO, P/I were very much underscored in the SD at Canadians last year. If they managed to stay on their feet, they may very well have captured the bronze position. Then there are the current bronze medalists: O/W. I'm not overly impressed with this team, but they did deserve their bronze medal. They were able to cut through the middle of the pack last year by skating clean with programs that suited them well, while others faltered. And we have the former bronze medalists still competing: R/H. They had a lovely program 2 seasons ago and should have been bronze medalists that year. Last year was a disaster for them. I expect they have it more together this season, especially with G/P having been injured so long. I expect they had more attention in the off-season. Interestingly, R/H placed higher at their first appearance at Worlds than G/P did at their Worlds debut last season. And then there are the others, dark horses, who could find themselves having a cinderella year like O/W did last year: I personally think last year's Junior champs are better than O/W; former Junior champs P/S (although I heard he's been injured most of the off season); and so on.

What G/P needed to do most since Worlds was work on their basic skating - lines, edges, unison, matching skating skills, dancing together skills. Those things take a lot of work and time. It requires both partners to work on this. Unfortunately, with him having been injured, this is likely not the priority now. It's about getting programs done, choreography learned, and enough together to be competitive. They are having to catch up with fellow competitors who have a number of months ahead of them. It does not bode well for them earning the 3rd spot. And I suspect any "benefit of the doubt" from Skate Canada and judges will likely be gone after last season's results, when they were healthy.

My prediction? I expect that P/I will be ready for a great year. They have a great training environment, lovely skating skills, and great coaches who did wonders for W/P confidence a few years ago. W/P are great role models for them. If they deliver, I think that 3rd spot will be theirs. If they don't deliver, I think R/H will be ready this season as well. They also were well-received a Worlds. If they have a good start to the season, quality programs - music, choreography, packaging, then they will be strong contenders for that 3rd spot as well. It should be a very interesting year in Canada in Senior Dance....

Speaking of that, I think it's time to start a "Canadian Ice Dance - 2013/2014 Edition" thread. It's going to be an exciting year in Senior, and I'm really curious to see how all the new, and some returning, Junior teams are going to fare. I hope to find some time over the next couple of weeks to look at all the video streaming from various competitions.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    ‏@PiperGilles
    Not a canadian yet but I still hope to be ...http://gritmag.com/almost-canadian-nearly-an-olympian/ … Great article from @GRITonline Thank you for telling my story #grateful
    4:33 PM - 18 Nov 13
    https://twitter.com/PiperGilles/stat...95506745913344

Excerpt:

Gilles’ mother become a Canadian citizen when Piper moved to Canada, but it was of no advantage to her, as she was older than 19 at the time. After mountains of paperwork she’s filled out with her lawyer, having her permanent residency in Canada and support from local MP Joe Daniel, she and her team are relying on Section 5(4) of the Citizenship Act, also known as “five-four citizenship,” to give her and Poirier their chance at a chance in Sochi.

This part of the act declares it acceptable for the minister of immigration to grant a citizenship “in order to alleviate cases of special and unusual hardship or to reward services of an exceptional value to Canada.”

Custom Title
    Most countries have such a term. Whatever. The US got Tanith Belbin and she medalled so hey why not Piper for Canada. What's good for the goose is good for the gander and it isn't like Gilles and Poirer will win a medal at the Olympics. But they not only need her to become a Canadian citizen but they need to make the Oly team. Virtue and Moir and Weaver and Poje are locks on olympic opoortunities. So there is one precious spot left.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Most countries have such a term. Whatever. The US got Tanith Belbin and she medalled so hey why not Piper for Canada. What's good for the goose is good for the gander and it isn't like Gilles and Poirer will win a medal at the Olympics. But they not only need her to become a Canadian citizen but they need to make the Oly team. Virtue and Moir and Weaver and Poje are locks on olympic opoortunities. So there is one precious spot left.
    You're missing the point of why I posted the tweet and the link.
    Isn't the article the first time that Gilles has said that her ONLY recourse for acquiring Canadian citizenship is special dispensation? (Yes, we all know that such dispensation would not be unique -- but it is rare.)

When Gilles previously has discussed her pursuit of Canadian citizenship, AFAIK she believed (and/or led us to believe) that her family ties in Canada and her mother's Canadian citizenship gave her a direct and certain path to citizenship for herself. Only now is she saying otherwise, IIRC.

Custom Title
    If Piper's mom is Canadian, she should automatically be entitled to Canadian citizenship by birth

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by 96skiluvr View Post
    If Piper's mom is Canadian, she should automatically be entitled to Canadian citizenship by birth
    Well my understanding is she, Piper's mom was not born in Canada and neither was Piper so there is the problem.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Mom is; apparently Piper isn't - the law changed a couple year's ago, according to some of the first posts on this thread.

Custom Title
    The "citizenship by descent" law only applies to first generation children...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules_2009.asp

If I am not mistaken, Piper's grandmother was Canadian. The law permits Piper's mother to apply for citizenship by descent. However since Piper is second generation born outside of Canada, she does not qualify under the changes.

What I don't understand is, this law was enacted as of 2009 according to the website. Piper and Paul did not get together until 2011. I was under the impression Piper's mother applied to activate her Canadian citizenship hoping to speed Piper's application. Did they not know about the 2009 law, or was there another plan?

Custom Title
    The third spot for Ice Dance at Canadians is wide open. Virtue/Moir are a lock, and I'd say it's safe to say Weaver/Poje are more than likely a lock on silver. Bronze is anyone's for the taking, it will likely be between Gilles/Porier (providing she gets her citizenship on time), Paul/Islam, Ralph/Hill, and Orford/Williams. So Gilles Porier aren't a lock for the team. A medal? I don't think so, top 15 is possible.

Caitlyn Weaver was born in the US, but has represented Canada for most of her career.

Great Idea for a threat for Canadian Ice Dance thread! Ice Dance in Canada is the best I think it's ever been!

Custom Title
    At first I had no opinion on Pipers citizenship. But their awesome freelance made me hope they get on the Oly team. That dance is innovative and awesome and "deserves" to be displayed on the Olympic stage.

On the Ice
    Just saw on Piper's facebook page from a friend a congratulations message about a swearing in ceremony but nothing official posted yet.
    Now the message is MIA.
    So I'm just guessing that she's got her citizenship now.

Not that I'm really pushing for them.. Really want Paul/Islam to go as they have shown so much improvement this year!!

Custom Title
    Maybe she joined the girl scouts.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast