Virtue and Moir News | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Virtue and Moir News

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Good points, Doris.

I am bothered by the idea that people should only be rewarded to playing it safe artistically. What about technically or in other aspects of Ice Dance?

If Davis and White were playing it safe, as some claim, on the whole, they would not win. Given the level of competition that Virtue and Moir has provided to Davis and White, there's no way that Davis and White could rest on any laurels. Since the Olympics, they have challenged themselves to improve because they have too. Some of those lifts, literally, are not safe!

Both teams have advanced the sport in their own way. You can't advance the sport by playing it safe, be it artistically or technically.

Ah the talk was about D and W choice of music and interpretation. V and W have taken far more risks but there is no bonus system for diversity or difficulty that way so D and W cna play it safe musically ; techincally they have to push. We'll see if V and M can challenge - I hope so.

apple123

On the Ice
D/W have connections to music?! lol, every single time they use dramastic music to carry them and the audience, while V/M bring various music to life and move the audience, there is a difference, people!

emdee

Final Flight
D/W have connections to music?! lol, every single time they use dramastic music to carry them and the audience, while V/M bring various music to life and move the audience, there is a difference, people!
So true of their free dances. Their programs are interchangeable if you substitute the music ....so much for their connection.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7etC7yMjE-s&feature=player_detailpage&t=219

What do you think then that those people in the yellow Virtue & Moir T-shirts were doing giving D&W a standing ovation for their Giselle SD in London, Ontario? V&M had not skated yet. Do you think that was because they had bad choreo, performance, and interpretation?

More yellow shirts giving D&W a standing ovation after their FD; V&M had skated their Carmen brilliantly just before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnMKrwLFYCM&feature=player_detailpage&t=294
Again why do you think they are standing?

It is never wise to underestimate your biggest competitors.

And frankly, I fail to see how a tango club dance to movie soundtracks (Il Postino 2011) a period piece grand ball theme to classical music (Strauss) (Die Fledermaus 2012) and a French-Canadian musical (Notre Dame de Paris 2013) are particularly similar.

Yes, NDdP is similar to Phantom 2010 in concept.

Last edited:

Orange Cat

On the Ice

i think that's an unfair statement. D/W do have connection with their music- they listen to the music and skate accordingly, and they're pretty good at getting certain moods and stories across. I adore their "Die Flaudermaus" FD and really enjoyed their Bollywood OD, Giselle SD and even their Latin SD. They don't have the same level of sensitivity and nuance that V/M have, and I don't think they could ever give us anything quite so exquisite as V/M's Mahler FD, but to say that D/W have no connection to music but depend upon dramatic music to carry them is rather harsh call IMO...

ETA: Sorry for going a bit off topic! Back to the topic- I'm sure V/M will be fine when it comes to balancing training and the making of this documentary/film, and I hope that I can get legal access to it as an Australian! I'd be keen to watch it.

I love both couples, but even if I didn't love one of them, I would admire that couple. How does it make V/M look better to classify D/W as substandard in some way? Personal preference is one thing, but clearly both of these teams are skating to an extraordinarily high standard. They're not going to be exactly the same, because they're not robots. Thank goodness for that!

emdee

Final Flight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7etC7yMjE-s&feature=player_detailpage&t=219

What do you think then that those people in the yellow Virtue & Moir T-shirts were doing giving D&W a standing ovation for their Giselle SD in London, Ontario? V&M had not skated yet. Do you think that was because they had bad choreo, performance, and interpretation?

More yellow shirts giving D&W a standing ovation after their FD; V&M had skated their Carmen brilliantly just before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnMKrwLFYCM&feature=player_detailpage&t=294
Again why do you think they are standing?

It is never wise to underestimate your biggest competitors.

And frankly, I fail to see how a tango club dance to movie soundtracks (Il Postino 2011) a period piece grand ball theme to classical music (Strauss) (Die Fledermaus 2012) and a French-Canadian musical (Notre Dame de Paris 2013) are particularly similar.

Yes, NDdP is similar to Phantom 2010 in concept.

Doris, we do that because we are polite Canadians. I was one of those in a yellow shirt who stood up. We are also known for giving every dog his due. D&W are worthy of a standing O when they skate well. But that doesnt take away the fact that their twizzles are repetitive, they reuse lifts and there is a robotic quality to their skating. Also they are far from adventurous when it comes to selection of Free Dances.

bramweld

Record Breaker
These are both very good teams that appeal to very different tastes. What I cannot appreciate, while I understand how it is calculated is when V/M's PCS marks are so close to that for D/W. Take a look at their worlds performances and look at the nuances, body line, toe point, interaction between partners, ease of movement of just say Scott. When you look at Charlie you do not see these qualities but rather an athlete focused on completing his elements. There are precious few moments when Charlie actually invests himself in the emotions required for the dance. How then can the PCS be the same, in my opinion as a dancer? The simple answer is the construction of the PCS mark in COP! COP IMHO, has taken away the essence of dance and made it about the impressive execution of elements. Seeing that COP may not change in the near future, I am hoping that a team will come along that will combine beautifully the best attributes of both V/M and D/W.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
yawn, typical V/M ubers who resort to D/W are just good in "technical elements"
whats so groundbreaking about V/M even if you rate them on pcs ?
they play the same role on a very safe and boring programs

I'd watch D/W anyday and they are finally getting the scores they deserve despite Moirs diva rants

clairecloutier

Final Flight
yawn, typical V/M ubers who resort to D/W are just good in "technical elements"
whats so groundbreaking about V/M even if you rate them on pcs ?

V/M ubers just cannot see things from a balanced viewpoint. In their minds, V/M are just the greatest ice dancers ever and simply can do no wrong. The ubers think no one can ever come close to V/M and really shouldn't even bother trying. I feel that D/W fans in general are not like this. They may prefer D/W, but are not so vehement and absolutist in their comments. IMO.

Macassar88

Medalist
This is supposed to be able Virtue and Moir. Not ice dancers or Davis and White. Can we leave them out of this and stop starting wars between the two?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I feel that D/W fans in general are not like this. They may prefer D/W, but are not so vehement and absolutist in their comments. IMO.

:rofl: :no: :disagree:
Thanks to eyria and other individuals who prefer Davis/White, but who are not absolutist. And to your non-absolutist counterparts who happen to prefer Virtue/Moir.
But you are deluding yourself if you believe that as an entire group, D/W fans have a more balanced viewpoint than V/M fans and are immune from insisting that their favorite couple can do no wrong.

bramweld

Record Breaker
The Olympic season can't start soon enough we're beginning to foam at the mouth and it isn't looking pretty. But you know who doesn't love a good water war every now and again. Hehehe......

emdee

Final Flight
The Olympic season can't start soon enough we're beginning to foam at the mouth and it isn't looking pretty. But you know who doesn't love a good water war every now and again. Hehehe......

You said it Bram!
Well we will get a first glance of VM this weekend and I for one cannot wait!

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
emdee, I'm afraid I'm missing the "polite" in all your snarks about D/W; to wit, on this thread alone, "So true of their free dances. Their programs are interchangeable if you substitute the music ....so much for their connection." And of course the pretends-to-be-balanced comment: "DW programs, lifts and twizzles are very repetitive. I guess since their lines are inferior to VM they have to hone up on what they can do well. " Umm, right, as though no other skaters ever emphasize what they do well in their programs?