Virtue and Moir News | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Virtue and Moir News

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I love both couples, but even if I didn't love one of them, I would admire that couple. How does it make V/M look better to classify D/W as substandard in some way? Personal preference is one thing, but clearly both of these teams are skating to an extraordinarily high standard. They're not going to be exactly the same, because they're not robots. Thank goodness for that!

Thanks Olympia, as usual, for being the voice of reason.

As for D/W being robots, why don't you ask all the people in Japan, Russia and elsewhere who gave standing ovations over such robotic dancing? Oh wait, they were just being polite. :laugh:

That's the last I'll say on this matter. Carry on.

Back on topic: V/M's music choices do sound quite lovely and I think we're in for a treat this season. The dark chocolate idea sounds like a good one too. :biggrin:

vera01

Final Flight
These are both very good teams that appeal to very different tastes. What I cannot appreciate, while I understand how it is calculated is when V/M's PCS marks are so close to that for D/W. Take a look at their worlds performances and look at the nuances, body line, toe point, interaction between partners, ease of movement of just say Scott. When you look at Charlie you do not see these qualities but rather an athlete focused on completing his elements. There are precious few moments when Charlie actually invests himself in the emotions required for the dance. How then can the PCS be the same, in my opinion as a dancer? The simple answer is the construction of the PCS mark in COP! COP IMHO, has taken away the essence of dance and made it about the impressive execution of elements. Seeing that COP may not change in the near future, I am hoping that a team will come along that will combine beautifully the best attributes of both V/M and D/W.

I actually think Charlie did improve a lot since last Olympics. While I'd prefer to watch Scott over Charlie since I just find him to be a better dancer, D/W improved quite a lot while V/M was struggling with injuries/surgeries. I think this explains why D/W have never lost to V/M last season, and while I am a fan or V/M, I have to give D/W a credit for this.

I also believe that D/W's consistency(and to add, I don't remember them being injured after Olympics) has affected the PCS.

May this season be injury-free for both Tessa and Scott. I'd hate to see them struggle with any kind of injury.

yawn, typical V/M ubers who resort to D/W are just good in "technical elements"
whats so groundbreaking about V/M even if you rate them on pcs ?
they play the same role on a very safe and boring programs

And who brought D/W here in first place?:laugh:

I get that you dislike most Canadian skaters, but why do you need to rant about how good D/W are and how bad V/M are in a thread that is supposed to be about V/M? Go to D/W fan thread if you are trying to be a D/W uber.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Virtue and Moir have skated to a more diverse selection of music and dance styles in their fd's during their competitive career than their nearest rivals. I wonder why people don't think DW have to work that much harder when they unveil yet another bombastic, theatrical epic, either literally or in execution.

Who brought D/W into the discussion? It appears to have been a V/M fan.

Geez, how polarizing. This is making me a D/W fan for the season before I've heard a note of music or seen a single move from either team. Ugh. This isn't my first Olympic cycle with the forum, and I was with Skatefans before that -- too early to get this heated.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I get that you dislike most Canadian skaters, but why do you need to rant about how good D/W are and how bad V/M are in a thread that is supposed to be about V/M? Go to D/W fan thread if you are trying to be a D/W uber.

so what does V/M merit other than their intangible so called connection ? and it has nothing to do with my indifference to most canadian skaters
D/W simply have better speed, quickness and overall better lifts than V/M, they had their time in 2010 under home ice
by 2014 they aren't that unbeatable as some V/M ubers would like to make it out, they are beatable even by a huge margin by D/W
the fact that Marina Queen recycled Zueva continues to give them same and overused programs but D/W can pull it off at least

spikydurian

Medalist
And who brought D/W here in first place?:laugh:
:agree:

Me too, Aftertherain. Maybe I'm just greedy, but if two amazing couples show up at the same time, why would I say, "Naaah, I only want one amazing couple to cheer for. Let's disregard the other one." That's like being given two super-de-duper chocolate desserts (ice cream and truffles, maybe) and saying, "I'll just have to dislike one of these, because who needs two super-de-duper chocolate desserts?" Or being presented with two glittering emeralds at once and saying....

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Me too, Aftertherain. Maybe I'm just greedy, but if two amazing couples show up at the same time, why would I say, "Naaah, I only want one amazing couple to cheer for. Let's disregard the other one." That's like being given two super-de-duper chocolate desserts (ice cream and truffles, maybe) and saying, "I'll just have to dislike one of these, because who needs two super-de-duper chocolate desserts?" Or being presented with two glittering emeralds at once and saying....

OR, you can just think of them being in the form of a single lava cake and a single scoop of super delicious vanilla ice-cream, in which case you can have both!

Wait. Why can't you say yes to both emeralds?

We are on the same wavelength! My point is that I would say yes to both emeralds. And both desserts! As I say yes to both of these jewels of skating teams.

emdee

Final Flight
Make no mistake we are saying yes to both emeralds ....but just commenting about the lower lustre of one ! Of course this is only the view of this gemologist.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Here's the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcsl2p5eAfk

(Sound quality is horrible)

I like it. It feels so cinematic and classy now vocals are used, it feels like a very good romantic movie by Nora Ephron :p (Hopefully have a happy ending) They are totally leading man and leading lady material and the chemistry is scorching hot. Can't wait for their contemporary ballet FD program.

Scout

Final Flight
os168 - I agree! I like the program and I can only imagine what it will be like when it has a bit more mileage on it! Good start to the season. Level 4 on everything except the midline step seq. I hope that the tech caller was fair.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Virtue/Moir SD score (FWIW):
37.80 + 38.71 = 76.51​

Protocol:

[Ustream version of the video (audio quality also poor; 3:52 in length):

Ideal Olympic program for them. All that toe work in the middle...my legs hurt just watching it. Light, elegant, classic and very difficult. The ending lost a little pizazz, you could tell they were tired but by February that lift should snap right up there

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Fantastic program. Scott Moir looks crisper and sharper than ever. Any concerns about the final lift's legality? (I'm forgetting the current state of over/above the shoulder blah blah blah.) A real winner for the Olympic season.

PS I wish Tessa would go back to a softer hair color with more shades/highlights. Don't like the flat black look for her.