Virtue and Moir News | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Virtue and Moir News

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
A lot will happen between now and February. I think the fact that it is so hotly debated means how uncertain the outcome will be. Truly excited.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's lovely to have a really good rivalry going into an Olympics. That's why 1988 was such a special Olympics in men's, ladies, and even pairs. Dance not so much. B&B winning were a forgone conclusion.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Absolutely! This is what makes this match-up so special!

Yep, D/W had the better of the rivalry last year, but since the Olympics it's been V/M, D/W, V/M, D/W at worlds. No guarantees for either team, and it may come down to personal preferences of whoever is on the judging panel.

I agree this is a special match-up. Both are strong teams for different reasons. I do hope this doesn't come down to personal preference, though. First of all it has to be about the technical achievement - the levels of the SD and the step sequences in both SD and FD are the main deciders generally for teams at such an elite level. When it comes to PCS, I really truly hope this is not about personal preference. The rules and criteria and intent of the PCS are actually quite detailed, and if there would be some extra effort on the part of the judges to be really clear about what constitutes lower and higher levels and marks ahead of the competitive season, then perhaps we would have less controversy. I truly believe that as a general rule there is not nearly enough attention paid to all the aspects of PCS, and GOE's are not nearly defined well enough. Edge quality, matching lines, smoothness, positions in lifts, difficult and novel choreography, timing and musicality, etc. are too often ignored in both GOE and PCS. It's too easy to just reward speed. Ice dance is not a speed contest. It's ice dance.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know what you're saying... but while we can enjoy both V/M and D/W, many of us give a slight edge to one or the other based on what we see as important.

I can't see where judges would be any different, especially if both teams deliver the superb performances they are capable of.

In this match-up it could boil down to GOE, and, as you say, that's defined in such a way as to permit a greater degree of subjectiveness.

I really hope it doesn't come down to a particularly visible error (like V/M twizzle bobble WC SD 13) to decide.

Maxi

Rinkside

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I desperately DESPERATELY want them to win this years OGM just for their Carmen. Can't wait to see their experimental/contemporary ballet FS, a must see this season.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FWIW ;):

Eric Radford ‏@Rad85E
Just saw Tessa and Scott's Olympic free dance. You are all going to love it! #WOW
9:04 AM - 6 Sep 13
https://twitter.com/Rad85E/statuses/376013046411317248

Interesting that Radford as a fellow skater had the opportunity to see it at Skate Canada's High Performance Camp.
In contrast, at U.S. Champs Camp, supposedly only the federation officials are permitted to see the programs.

Binthere

On the Ice
FWIW ;):

Eric Radford ‏@Rad85E
Just saw Tessa and Scott's Olympic free dance. You are all going to love it! #WOW
9:04 AM - 6 Sep 13
https://twitter.com/Rad85E/statuses/376013046411317248

Interesting that Radford as a fellow skater had the opportunity to see it at Skate Canada's High Performance Camp.
In contrast, at U.S. Champs Camp, supposedly only the federation officials are permitted to see the programs.

My thought exactly. They don't train at the same center either, so it must not be such a strictly closed camp. Hoping for more insights.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Not news, and not specific to Virtue/Moir, but here are two Skate Canada national team photos from High Performance Camp:

And this one is a kind of cool photo of autographed cards showing individual skaters, couples, or pairs;
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...51852174502039.1073741826.129815677038&type=1

BTW: Purich/Tran attended HPC, but are not on the national team and do not appear in these photos.

Not news, and not specific to Virtue/Moir, but here are two Skate Canada national team photos from High Performance Camp:

And this one is a kind of cool photo of autographed cards showing individual skaters, couples, or pairs;
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...51852174502039.1073741826.129815677038&type=1

BTW: Purich/Tran attended HPC, but are not on the national team and do not appear in these photos.

These are indeed cool photos! Thanks.

lcd

Match Penalty
What a great opportunity and gesture of support that Purich/Tran were invited to attend.

Love the photos with Tessa and Scott.