Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 66

Thread: Ashley Wagner on The Skating Lesson

  1. #1
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,007

    Ashley Wagner on The Skating Lesson

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D39dmCQ2ciY

    This part 1.

    I just started watching it, so I'll comment later...

  2. #2
    Custom Title Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    585
    I have ti give up to ashley and jenny and Dave the interview was excellent and honest

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,701
    Wow, this cuckoo thought she was gonna go to World in 2010 because she did good enough at Nats?
    Didn't she realize there were only 2 spots, and the US Fed needed to regain 3 desperately. She thought it was a slap in the face by the US Federation. Well, looks like the US Federation and I wanted the same thing, only I didn't get to do it.

    And all who criticized her are crazy cat ladies. How original!

  4. #4
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,007
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Wow, this cuckoo thought she was gonna go to World in 2010 because she did good enough at Nats?
    Didn't she realize there were only 2 spots, and the US Fed needed to regain 3 desperately. She thought it was a slap in the face by the US Federation. Well, looks like the US Federation and I wanted the same thing, only I didn't get to do it.

    And all who criticized her are crazy cat ladies. How original!
    I don't think it's an unreasonable proposition. Granted, it's been a long, long time, but the U.S. Fed has split assignments before. The most high-profile example of this is in 1992 when they opted to send Paul Wylie to the Olympics and Mark Mitchell to Worlds.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I don't think it's an unreasonable proposition. Granted, it's been a long, long time, but the U.S. Fed has split assignments before. The most high-profile example of this is in 1992 when they opted to send Paul Wylie to the Olympics and Mark Mitchell to Worlds.
    And wow, what an inspired choice that turned out to be. The minute I read your post, I started hearing "Henry V" in my mind. That decision led to one of the great moments in American Olympic skating history. While it would have been nice to see Paul at Worlds, he might or might not have risen to those heights again, and this way he could retire with complete satisfaction, clutching his Olympic silver, while Mark Mitchell got his chance in the world arena.

    I suppose this time around they could have sent Ashley to Worlds, but considering that both Mirai and Rachael had done stunningly at the Olympics, the USFSA probably felt pretty secure with their decision. Too bad the two of them didn't get equivalent results at Worlds.

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,228
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Wow, this cuckoo thought she was gonna go to World in 2010 because she did good enough at Nats?
    Didn't she realize there were only 2 spots, and the US Fed needed to regain 3 desperately. She thought it was a slap in the face by the US Federation. Well, looks like the US Federation and I wanted the same thing, only I didn't get to do it.

    And all who criticized her are crazy cat ladies. How original!
    She said the ones who criticized her legs were probably crazy cat ladies. The US Federation could have at least made her an alternate for Worlds. Did they?

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    100
    I am liking the guests on The Skating Lesson for interviews, and I enjoy Jenny Kirk. The overweight, googlie-eyed dark-haired boy in the middle is kind of amateur, kind of annoying and clearly doesn't seem to really know skating. It seems he is there to try and get gossip/filler to appeal to the crazy cat ladies Ashley mentioned.

    Overall, a good interview from Ashley.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    She said the ones who criticized her legs were probably crazy cat ladies. The US Federation could have at least made her an alternate for Worlds. Did they?
    I thought they did.
    Anyway, I don't recall anyone ever criticized her legs. Do you?

  9. #9
    Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,408
    I thought the interview was great. Very honest and candid and not at all princessy or pageanty. I loved her digs at Sasha Cohen! The comment about her rolling around on the ice to Big Spender and her going all "Bambi" at nationals (I LOLed at that one!).

    I really enjoyed that interview and I can't wait to see the 2nd part. I hope they ask her about the split with Philip Mills, what it was like to skate at worlds this year, and what she thinks of Gracie Gold and all of the hype that surrounds her.

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Boi View Post
    I am liking the guests on The Skating Lesson for interviews, and I enjoy Jenny Kirk. The overweight, googlie-eyed dark-haired boy in the middle is kind of amateur, kind of annoying and clearly doesn't seem to really know skating. It seems he is there to try and get gossip/filler to appeal to the crazy cat ladies Ashley mentioned.

    Overall, a good interview from Ashley.
    Hilarious description of professional ***** David lease!!!
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 07-25-2013 at 11:41 PM.

  11. #11
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Gautier, Mississippi
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Boi View Post
    I am liking the guests on The Skating Lesson for interviews, and I enjoy Jenny Kirk. The overweight, googlie-eyed dark-haired boy in the middle is kind of amateur, kind of annoying and clearly doesn't seem to really know skating. It seems he is there to try and get gossip/filler to appeal to the crazy cat ladies Ashley mentioned.

    Overall, a good interview from Ashley.
    Well, it's good to know that I'm clearly a fat ***

    I thought the interview was great, I hope during the second part they go in depth with her current coaching and choreography situation, and maybe talk a little about her new programs.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 07-25-2013 at 11:41 PM.

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    143
    I actually started to like Ashley a little bit more. In fact, I thought it was great when she said she gets the worst from her mother which, really does make Jenny and Dave's digs a little more trivial when put into perspective. I thought it was insightful and candid and exactly what you need to get from these athletes (see her honest thoughts on Sasha Cohen). They're not all pretty packages and media-trained, which is a little bit frustrating about the Asian skaters- they are limited and constricted by an imposed diplomacy sense and cultural propriety. We need the raw and the real.

    I agree that Dave is a little bit of a brown noser-meets-know it all sometimes but I guess he's just such a big fan of the sport that with all the research and his connections, it can be a little overbearing. Jenny on the other hand (when a little more focused) is gold. She is definitely the better of the two, which is funny because Dave is the supposed journalist!

    Going back to Ashley, I'm glad that she kept the necessary vanity and her self-awareness relative to her degree of talent and the situation at the time. She never said she was as great or on par with the top international girls (in fact she was well aware of the fact that most of the audience weren't there for her), but she also knew well enough she deserved more than what she got with regards to being sent to Junior Worlds.

    Bring on part 2!

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCzar View Post
    but she also knew well enough she deserved more than what she got with regards to being sent to Junior Worlds.
    This is why it's shocking!
    Why did she deserve Sr. Worlds? Under what planet? She was third, was not clean, was not better than the other two.

    Her self-entitlement is extremely high.

    This was why I was turned off by her when I met her. She gave off this air that she deserved this and that. Her interview just showed exactly what I was talking about.

  14. #14
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,007
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    This is why it's shocking!
    Why did she deserve Sr. Worlds? Under what planet? She was third, was not clean, was not better than the other two.

    Her self-entitlement is extremely high.

    This was why I was turned off by her when I met her. She gave off this air that she deserved this and that. Her interview just showed exactly what I was talking about.
    YMMV, I guess. I don't get that vibe from her at all. When I met her at Skate America, she was quite friendly and gracious.

    From where I stand, someone who is willing to move across the country and start over to achieve one's goal is the exact opposite of being entitled.

    I haven't seen that part of the interview yet regarding her views on the Fed's decision, so I'll refrain from commenting on that for now.

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    From where I stand, someone who is willing to move across the country and start over to achieve one's goal is the exact opposite of being entitled.
    Of course this someone isn't entitled.
    But someone who did not finish top 2, made several visible errors, and whined about not getting a ticket to World even after 4 years, that's entitlement.

    I was turned off by her chattering with her friend at the concession stand. I didn't intend to eavesdrop on them, but what they said were quite annoying. I'm sure if you talk to her directly, she wouldn't be rude or crazy. I just happened to saw her in her element.

    Anyway, I don't hate her. I think she's fine, doing her job as one of the top US girls at the moment.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •