Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ashley Wagner on The Skating Lesson

Hybrid View

skating philosopher

Ashley Wagner on The Skating Lesson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D39dmCQ2ciY

This part 1.

I just started watching it, so I'll comment later...

I have ti give up to ashley and jenny and Dave the interview was excellent and honest

Custom Title
    Wow, this cuckoo thought she was gonna go to World in 2010 because she did good enough at Nats?
    Didn't she realize there were only 2 spots, and the US Fed needed to regain 3 desperately. She thought it was a slap in the face by the US Federation. Well, looks like the US Federation and I wanted the same thing, only I didn't get to do it.

And all who criticized her are crazy cat ladies. How original!

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Wow, this cuckoo thought she was gonna go to World in 2010 because she did good enough at Nats?
    Didn't she realize there were only 2 spots, and the US Fed needed to regain 3 desperately. She thought it was a slap in the face by the US Federation. Well, looks like the US Federation and I wanted the same thing, only I didn't get to do it.

I don't think it's an unreasonable proposition. Granted, it's been a long, long time, but the U.S. Fed has split assignments before. The most high-profile example of this is in 1992 when they opted to send Paul Wylie to the Olympics and Mark Mitchell to Worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I don't think it's an unreasonable proposition. Granted, it's been a long, long time, but the U.S. Fed has split assignments before. The most high-profile example of this is in 1992 when they opted to send Paul Wylie to the Olympics and Mark Mitchell to Worlds.
    And wow, what an inspired choice that turned out to be. The minute I read your post, I started hearing "Henry V" in my mind. That decision led to one of the great moments in American Olympic skating history. While it would have been nice to see Paul at Worlds, he might or might not have risen to those heights again, and this way he could retire with complete satisfaction, clutching his Olympic silver, while Mark Mitchell got his chance in the world arena.

I suppose this time around they could have sent Ashley to Worlds, but considering that both Mirai and Rachael had done stunningly at the Olympics, the USFSA probably felt pretty secure with their decision. Too bad the two of them didn't get equivalent results at Worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    They split assignments in 2006, when they sent Michelle Kwan to the Olympics, but assigned Emily Hughes the Worlds team spot. However, what ended up happening was Michelle withdrew from the Olympics so Emily went to both.

Down With It
    I suppose this time around they could have sent Ashley to Worlds, but considering that both Mirai and Rachael had done stunningly at the Olympics, the USFSA probably felt pretty secure with their decision. Too bad the two of them didn't get equivalent results at Worlds.
    Her candor was great and refreshing in this interview.
    Finally time to take the kid gloves off and get to see how these skaters really think.

As for Worlds that year, the major black mark against her (IMO) was how poorly she did in 2008. I think it would have actually been a mistake to send Wagner to 2010 worlds over either Nagasu or Flatt (considering the latter's 5th place finish last year). Too bad Nagasu tanked but at least she stayed in the top 10. But it's completely understandable that Wagner "felt" that she might have deserved the trip based on her results that season and THAT'S the type of honesty I appreciate from skaters. Whether I agree or not is beside the point- I just respect them more for coming out and saying it.

I agree that Dave is a little bit of a brown noser-meets-know it all sometimes but I guess he's just such a big fan of the sport that with all the research and his connections, it can be a little overbearing. Jenny on the other hand (when a little more focused) is gold. She is definitely the better of the two, which is funny because Dave is the supposed journalist!
    Yeah, not a fan of his at all. I'll be honest- his "tabloid" type style of talking/reporting is a complete turnoff and sours TSL in my eyes. I'll give him a little credit though- he does ask good questions of the guests on occasion.

It seems he is there to try and get gossip/filler to appeal to the crazy cat ladies Ashley mentioned.
    It is so funny she mentioned that...because I think THAT's the exact audience this type of show targets! It's like, "in your face!!"

This was why I was turned off by her when I met her. She gave off this air that she deserved this and that. Her interview just showed exactly what I was talking about.
    Wagner? Anyway she comes across to me as confident without being cocky. She knows what she wants, isn't afraid to admit it (for the most part), and goes for it.

Yes, there were sections of the interview that bored me. Mainly because I'm just not into the gossip stuff (and frankly she fits right in with the two of them- this is not a diss) . But the parts about why she made the choices she did were quite revealing, I thought, and made the interview worth watching/sitting through.

I found myself wishing I was there so I could ask her some follow-up questions of my own...hopefully Jenny and/or Dave think to ask at least some of them in part 2...

Custom Title

She said the ones who criticized her legs were probably crazy cat ladies. The US Federation could have at least made her an alternate for Worlds. Did they?

Banned
    I am liking the guests on The Skating Lesson for interviews, and I enjoy Jenny Kirk. The overweight, googlie-eyed dark-haired boy in the middle is kind of amateur, kind of annoying and clearly doesn't seem to really know skating. It seems he is there to try and get gossip/filler to appeal to the crazy cat ladies Ashley mentioned.

Overall, a good interview from Ashley.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Boi View Post
    I am liking the guests on The Skating Lesson for interviews, and I enjoy Jenny Kirk. The overweight, googlie-eyed dark-haired boy in the middle is kind of amateur, kind of annoying and clearly doesn't seem to really know skating. It seems he is there to try and get gossip/filler to appeal to the crazy cat ladies Ashley mentioned.

Hilarious description of professional ***** David lease!!!
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 07-25-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Boi View Post

Well, it's good to know that I'm clearly a fat ***

I thought the interview was great, I hope during the second part they go in depth with her current coaching and choreography situation, and maybe talk a little about her new programs.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 07-25-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    She said the ones who criticized her legs were probably crazy cat ladies. The US Federation could have at least made her an alternate for Worlds. Did they?
    I thought they did.
    Anyway, I don't recall anyone ever criticized her legs. Do you?

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    I thought the interview was great. Very honest and candid and not at all princessy or pageanty. I loved her digs at Sasha Cohen! The comment about her rolling around on the ice to Big Spender and her going all "Bambi" at nationals (I LOLed at that one!).

I really enjoyed that interview and I can't wait to see the 2nd part. I hope they ask her about the split with Philip Mills, what it was like to skate at worlds this year, and what she thinks of Gracie Gold and all of the hype that surrounds her.

Custom Title
    I thought they did.
    Anyway, I don't recall anyone ever criticized her legs. Do you?
    No, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. I wouldn't take offense at what she said. There are some people who make uncalled-for attacks on skaters' weight and looks. On You Tube, in particular, there are a lot of crazy trolls who say very nasty things about skaters. For a while, there was a rash of racist comments about Michelle Kwan on her videos. I think You Tube finally banned the offenders.

Custom Title
    It might not of come out well or as clearly as it could have, but I think she was simply trying to distinguish Jenny and Dave's "insults" or critiques (throwing shade) as informed from people (who she called 'crazy cat ladies') whose who throw insults or critiques on discussion boards like this without the benefit of insider knowledge. The age/gender implications of crazy cat ladies might have been and unfortunate choice, but I think she was really talking about Jenny and Dave and why their "insults" or critiques are 'ok' by her.

Anyway, I like the opportunities TSL offers for us to actually hear from skaters and coaches in way more detail than a soundbite...looking forward to more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast