Ashley Wagner on The Skating Lesson | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner on The Skating Lesson

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So it proves that she is a catty girl.
I wouldn't go so far saying she is a bad person. I have always maintained that she is not my cup of tea.

why are you getting testy with me? When did anyone ever said her fans are stupid? Relax, girlfriend.

I'm just wondering why you have spent the majority of this thread nitpicking at every word she's said in this interview.:scratch: It seems you're bent on proving what you perceive as Ashley's bad character or moral shortcomings. In this thread, you've basically stated that Ashley is unoriginal, catty, delusional, entitled, a cuckoo, so on and so forth.

Many people here, including myself, don't agree with your interpretation. :disagree:

ETA: I am saying the above statement based on the numerous positive comments on this thread regarding Ashley's demeanor and conduct in this interview.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'll be honest...there were some periods where I was :bang:

But, I'd take this any day over sound bytes. Another kudos to TSL.

bara1968

On the Ice
I really enjoyed those two interviews. Thank you for sharing!

I was very impressed to see Ashley trying to elevate herself a lot despite all the difficulties she went through in the end of last season. I don't know whether DW's program will be well suited for her or not, but seems like she is happy to work with him so what do I know?

Good luck Ashley! (BTW I didn't laugh at all when you said you wanted to be on the podium in Sochi . I think it is possible! ) :)

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
It was an amazing interview.

In regards to what was said about Dave Lease, I personally love Dave Lease being a co-host, him and Jenny are perfect together (they compliment eachother so, so well!) and he makes it so much more interesting to watch.

Ashley came across really well in the interview and I'm excited to see her new programs! Best of luck to her :biggrin:

MarkusNJ

Rinkside
I felt that Ashley came off as real....she is realistic about the next season, she talked about her disappointment in the 2010 season, and she didn't really hold back. I appreciate that a lot.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I'm just wondering why you have spent the majority of this thread nitpicking at every word she's said in this interview.:scratch: It seems you're bent on proving what you perceive as Ashley's bad character or moral shortcomings. In this thread, you've basically stated that Ashley is unoriginal, catty, delusional, entitled, a cuckoo, so on and so forth.

I made a statement based on my observations. People asked me why I said what I said. So I tell them exactly why with examples. If someone ask you why you think someone is entitled, wouldn't you give an example to why someone is? If you do like all reasonable adults, why are you scratching? :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I made a statement based on my observations. People asked me why I said what I said. So I tell them exactly why with examples. If someone ask you why you think someone is entitled, wouldn't you give an example to why someone is? If you do like all reasonable adults, why are you scratching? :)

It's one thing to make an observation, it's another to belabor it.

ucrgirl

On the Ice
It is upseting how many people are picking at the interview and finding things to critisize. What I saw was that Ashley has been able to evaluate herself, figure out where changes needed to be made and sacrifice to make those changes. If other US ladies could do that they would have been world champions.

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Overall I thought Jenny & Dave did a nice job with this interview. Other than a few unnessecary attemps to make fun of others, Ashley seems to be focused on what she needs to do for this important Olympic season. I especially appreciate the respect she has for Mr. Nicks, which he deserves. Also her decision to branch out to other choreographers could be a extremely important with the international judges. Philip Mills doesn't appear to have handled her decision well at all.

meem

On the Ice
Just watched both parts of the interview. I've always enjoyed Ashley's skating and worried about her during her last years on the East Coast (so glad she decided to "go big or go home" and moved west to John Nicks). This was a delightful interview. Ashley had me laughing out loud several times - she's especially funny when she's self-deprecating (e.g. the times she thought how great her next move on the ice would look and then she does a big splat). Got my fingers crossed that she defends her national title and has a wonderful skate also at the Olympics. I don't watch the late night talk shows and wonder if she was a guest on any of them these past two years? She'd be a great guest with her sense of humor (and maybe inspire a bit more interest in figure skating competitions).

mskater93

Record Breaker
Has Gracie ever come out and said "look look, this is the Gold lutz?" If she did, I'm annoyed by Gracie. If she didn't, I'm annoyed by Ashley for dragging Gracie into something that has nothing to do with anything.
Alex O said it jokingly in an interview with IN last year and Gracie and Adam Rippon had a twitter joke going on that Gracie said it should be renamed the "Gold Lutz" because Lutzes are harder for ladies.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Finally started watching Ashley's interview, almost done with the first part. Great interview, she always comes across as fiercely determined and of course competitive yet fun-loving and likeable with a good head on her shoulders. As everyone has already noted she is frank and clear-eyed about her strengths and weaknesses. One thing I love about Ashley is that while she doesn't hide her disappointment - even misery - over her stumbles she is matter-a-fact about it. She's not tragic about it, shall we say.

I especially loved her discussion of Mr. Nicks' training style. It was interesting to hear about how he teaches elite skaters about small moments that grab the audience and draw them into the performance. It certainly showed in her skating while she was with him! She already was going for that sort of skating before she went to Nicks but he did give her a bit of extra magic, and probably Mills too. Despite her stumbles toward the end of the season, I still think Ashley's maturity and ice presence and delivery were in a rank above the other USA ladies last season.

The interview certainly made me root for her this season! I wish her all the best with Arturian and for her to stay healthy and get that triple triple that she wants.

Icey

Record Breaker
As innocent as her use of the word was, she might want to avoid using "pansy" in Sochi.

The Olympic year is not a good year to learn a jump she really should have had several seasons ago. Her coaches failed her here. She seems full of uncertainty. Maybe time to bring in a sports psychologist. She is miscast as Juliet, but I hope she can bring it off. Should have trusted her own intuition here imo. I sense she has a very hard year ahead of her.

R.D.

Record Breaker
It's not like she has to learn it from scratch...she already knows how to do the 3-3, but I agree in principle that it is not the best time to be testing new jump content in competition. Still, if she wants the Olympic podium she has no other choice. It's a risk but it's one she'll have to take.

I'm also not fully convinced that Wagner will get to the level she aspires to reach in such a short amount of time (given the significant changes in her training schedule, and the fact that it seems to have really hit her hard if the interview is any indication) but her competitive history suggests that it's possible. In fact, that's exactly what she did from 2011 to 2012. But can she do it again? We'll have to wait and see. We can't possibly know what will happen.

LRK

Record Breaker
I hadn't the time to listen to this until now, but now I have, I really enjoyed it. I thought Ashley was delightful. I hope she conquers the 3-3. :)