Ashley Wagner on The Skating Lesson | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner on The Skating Lesson

MarkusNJ

Rinkside
she is not really learning a new jump. She has done the flip/toe and the axel/toe before. now it's all about getting it out there...and I think she can do it.
Also...just as an aside....didn't Yuna only start doing the 3lutz/toe in the Olympic season?
I will be rooting for her!!!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Also...just as an aside....didn't Yuna only start doing the 3lutz/toe in the Olympic season?

Yes, but Yuna had great success with the 3F/3T previously and upgraded to the slightly more difficult 3Z/3T. Ashley doesn't have a strong 3/3 or even a 2A/3T. Ashley is probably capable of a 3/3 but to me it looks like she lands her jumps a bit too forward to be in the ideal position for the take-off of the second jump.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
true true true.....
I have always wondered why she didn't try 3toe/3toe.....

Yuna or Ashley?

Yuna did 3T+3T way back in 2005 and probably before that. Ashley used to have the 3F+3T (like you said), but she also had a 3Lz+3Lo (which probably received UR calls), so perhaps she never thought to do a 3T+3T because she could do harder 3-3 combinations.

OT - I know Mirai used to attempt a 3Lz+3T, but she's doing 3T+3Ts now. Christina Gao is doing 3T+3Ts now as well, but her 3F+3Ts in the past (2-3 years ago) were ratified on several occasions.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
OT - I know Mirai used to attempt a 3Lz+3T, but she's doing 3T+3Ts now. Christina Gao is doing 3T+3Ts now as well, but her 3F+3Ts in the past (2-3 years ago) were ratified on several occasions.

With 3/3's, you're better off doing the easier combo if you can land it cleaner because there's no point advantage (i.e. a 3F/3T and solo 3T has the same BV as a 3T/3T and a solo 3F). I am surprised about Christina doing the easier combo because her 3F/3T was very impressive.

LRK

Record Breaker
Utterly OT - Why there isn't some kind of bonus for doing more difficult combinations, I shall never understand... Surely a combination is more than the mere sum of its parts?