Glacier Falls Summer Classic | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Glacier Falls Summer Classic

FSGMT

Record Breaker
That was the score that I was expecting for Mirai, she probably received an edge call for the lutz, the UR for the combo and the consequent negative GOEs, plus some not-so-outstanding marks in the first two spins... I'm happy for Courtney but... Leah??! :( her PCS was really low, too...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I was hoping Mirai would have scored more in the 58-59 range but I guess she got some UR's and possibly an edge call?But overall, she really had a lovely presentation out there..

I'd say the lutz was UR as well. It's very early in the season and it's great she trying the difficulty. However, if she is going to UR two jumps she is better off doing the 3T/3T and a 3F. Her 3F here looks really strong.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I'd say the lutz was UR as well. It's very early in the season and it's great she trying the difficulty. However, if she is going to UR two jumps she is better off doing the 3T/3T and a 3F. Her 3F here looks really strong.

Even though the lutz was UR, I am happy that she didn't flutz or at least I don't think she did, I replayed the take off a few times. I could be wrong though. I think she needs more speed. I think she wouldn't have so many UR's. I agree with you on the flip it looked great.

flying camel

Medalist
I like Mirai's SP. It has a very romantic feel to it. She just needs to sell it. She does not look like she had a good center on those spins. But she is so focused on those jumps. I did not think she had that triple/triple in her. There is hope for her yet. I hope she continues to do well in her GP events.

Has anyone seen Hicks SP? I don't see it posted anywhere.

What happen to Caroline? Is she doing the LP?

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I haven't seen Hicks SP anywhere yet. The club may be offering on-demand viewing for a small charge. I believe Caroline Zhang withdrew (not unusual for summer comps).

Oreo

On the Ice
James Bond music is a great idea for Mirai, however this LP music has far too many random cuts (I counted seven). Better to have picked just a few themes and developed them from there. When YuNa skated her Olympic short program to James Bond, you felt she was a Bond girl; the music cuts worked as a whole. I don't think Mirai can pull off the same mood when the music is all over the place.

samson

Medalist
Thanks for posting that video! Is great to have Mirai's free to watch. I feel like 102.32 is kind of typical for Mirai at this point in the season if memory serves. No matter what year it is who her coach is etc... different skaters are able to peak in different ways.

I actually really like this program. For me I think this could be her strongest free skate since Carmen and you can see her maturity in the choreography and the way she performs. She sells it. Her spins looked better here too. Too bad about the UR's - but that opening combo looked strong strong strong.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought it wasn't terrible. It looked incomplete in places, as though there were some missing choreography or something.

I'm OK with the program, but going into the Olympic season with the same FS music that won the prior Olympics is an odd choice, IMO.

It seemed a little dated, maybe that's the music. I'll be interested in seeing where this goes. On the plus: it's a departure for her.

Scout

Final Flight
Good for Courtney! Aside from Sochi, is she also fighting for the last GP spot at Skate America?

macy

Record Breaker
i think mirai's long has potential...she was cautious it looked like. she needs more attitude and i hope her coaches can bring that out in her because she NEEDS that with bond music. i hope i can see courtney's long, that score is huge.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I'm OK with the program, but going into the Olympic season with the same FS music that won the prior Olympics is an odd choice, IMO.

I couldn't help but be struck by that myself. But I'll reserve judgement. Still excited to see what Mirai will do this season.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*shrieks in delight* I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love:

It's fantastic! Love how quickly the crowd gets into it. He's still a little short of puff at the end but this is a magnificent program.

Now please excuse me, I'm off to splash this link EVERYWHERE!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Nice program. A bit ragged - as it should be at this time of the season. That step sequence needs to fly by the end of the season. I hope the costume is also a work in progress. The glitter down the sides of the legs makes him look short and chunky - and he's not.

I don't think it's as bad a look as last season's SP costume though. The shirt is fabulous - I do think he looks best when he has a bit of a V-neck going on. It makes him look older and stronger. The glitter does make the pants look oddly-shaped, which distorts his lines. If they're going to keep the glitter, then the ankle of the pants needs to be wider.

I also think that maybe that pelvic decoration needs extending around the back, so that it looks like a belt or something. At the moment it's creating an optical illusion of a longer torso, which is not something Jason really needs. If they extended that one around the back, and then shortened up the decoration on the outside of his legs so that it stopped maybe halfway down his thighs, I think that would look kind of cool. The current decoration on the front of the pants looks odd when he's turning or from side-on.

There are a few moments in this program I'm looking forward to seeing on the official video, just for the ice-level angle rather than the from-above angle. It looks fabulous so far and if he can build his stamina and put in the 4T at the start...well. The men's field at TEB might just be in for a bit of a surprise.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I just watched Chen's FS: her jumps have improved a lot! Good job, Karen! :clap: