Ladies Short Program - Comments from skaters | Golden Skate

Ladies Short Program - Comments from skaters

Rosaleen

Medalist
These comments are from the 'quick notes' given to the media.

Yoshie Onda
After Japanese Nationals, she caught a cold and has had a fever of 38-39 degrees the last 4 days. Today was the 1st day without a fever. She's always tired and her muscles feel different. Today was her 1st run through since she got sick.

Joannie Rochette
(On missing her combination) I did what I do at home. I miss a jump and I keep going. It helped that I did well in the long program at Nationals. It gave me confidence that I can move up. The program felt good today, I wasn't nervous. I was very confident, especially after what happened in Nationals, it's important for me to keep trying the lutz. The lutz is getting better all the time. I need to gain experience with it, that's why it's in the short.

Jennifer Don (if anyone else is wondering why her marks were so low -- did you notice that she didn't do a layback spin??<G> I didn't notice it until I read her comments. It was supposed to come after the 2axel. )
(on the fall on the triple sal) I don't think I jumped high enough. (on forgetting the layback spin) I don't know!!! A total mind blank I guess. It's never happened to me before like that, never in the short program. I didn't find out until Thursday evening that I was coming here. I'm really happy just to be here. A lot of that (mistake with layback) has to do with my lack of training beforehand. We only had Thursday & Friday to skate

Angela Nikodinov
(on coming back from injury) US Nationals helped me to remember how to compete again. There is a lot less pressure on me at this even. I just love skating in Canada. I was real relaxed out there, didn't doubt myself. I'm looking forward to the long program.

Yukari Nakano
I landed the 3axel in both short & free program at Japanese Nationals. Today I felt very nervous. I even stumbled in my footwork.

Joanne Carter
I've been out for a little while with an injury and then coming back and things haven't been working so well. For a long, long time that's the best I've skated. (on her marks) I don't care. That performance is a personal best for me. Friday is another day, and I'll be there and do what I can.

Cynthia Phaneuf
(on her schedule since Nationals) I train and I do interviews.
(on missing the 3lutz) Okay, it's one jump, I can do better. It was lack of concentration. I know I can do it. Between the warm-up and my skate, my nose started to bleed. It was a little unsettling. It's the 2nd time it's happened to me in competition.
(on preparing for the long) I keep my head up and do one thing at a time.

Amber Corwin
(on the 3t3t combination) It's my trademark, so I've got to do it. It feels good to be on the top. I feel stronger than ever now. It's like a whoe new stage in my life. I felt fabulous out there, I felt like I was flying. It was magical. This is like my World Championships, because I'm not going to worlds.

Yukina Ota
It's easier for me to skate in Canada in this event than in Japanese Nationals. I enjoy skating in Canada, the audience is very good. I also skated a good short program at Skate Canada. This morning, I didn't have a good practice. I had the flu before coming here.

Jennifer Robinson
This was a total 100 per cent plus skate for me. Happy to get the flip done, the speed up and remember the choreography. Had extra adrenaline & intensity.
(on coming back from Nationals) It was the hardest week I've ever had. Nationals drains you and not a successful one drains you even more - I had 3 bad skates. I've had tears all week. Trained hard for 4 days, then took the weekend off and it worked

Nadine

Record Breaker
You rock, Rosaleen! {two thumbs way up} :love:

Just adding my own personal comments to a few of the skaters' below (btw they ALL did great :)^):

Rosaleen said:
These comments are from the 'quick notes' given to the media.

Yoshie Onda
After Japanese Nationals, she caught a cold and has had a fever of 38-39 degrees the last 4 days. Today was the 1st day without a fever. She's always tired and her muscles feel different. Today was her 1st run through since she got sick.

ME: poor Yoshie Bear :( ~ didn't know this ~ but she'll come back "fighting" in the FS! GOOOOOOOO YOSHIE!!!!

Jennifer Don (if anyone else is wondering why her marks were so low -- did you notice that she didn't do a layback spin??<G> I didn't notice it until I read her comments. It was supposed to come after the 2axel. )
(on the fall on the triple sal) I don't think I jumped high enough. (on forgetting the layback spin) I don't know!!! A total mind blank I guess. It's never happened to me before like that, never in the short program. I didn't find out until Thursday evening that I was coming here. I'm really happy just to be here. A lot of that (mistake with layback) has to do with my lack of training beforehand. We only had Thursday & Friday to skate

ME: great job ~ just being there is an honor in itself ~ blows my mind how she is able to do both singles & pairs! :eek: My hat goes off to her. Good Luck in the FS, Jennifer!

Angela Nikodinov
(on coming back from injury) US Nationals helped me to remember how to compete again. There is a lot less pressure on me at this even. I just love skating in Canada. I was real relaxed out there, didn't doubt myself. I'm looking forward to the long program.

ME: phenomenal job, Angela! Coming this far from that major shoulder injury & subsequent surgery last year is out-of-this-world. Good Luck in the FS!

Yukari Nakano
I landed the 3axel in both short & free program at Japanese Nationals. Today I felt very nervous. I even stumbled in my footwork.

ME: Holy Cow! :eek: I didn't know she tried the 3A both times. And now I find out she also tried it at 4CC (just a step-out is all). I'm going to start calling her Tsunami Girl (in honor of Midori Ito), especially since she became only the third woman in history to have ever officially landed it in competition @ 2002 Skate America. WTG, Yukari!!!! Now on to the FS w/that power jump. (crossing fingers)

Joanne Carter
I've been out for a little while with an injury and then coming back and things haven't been working so well. For a long, long time that's the best I've skated. (on her marks) I don't care. That performance is a personal best for me. Friday is another day, and I'll be there and do what I can.

ME: WTG, WTG, WTG!!! I take my hat off to this 23 yr. old WARHORSE (likewise to her teammate, 28 yr. old Miriam Manzano, whom won the bronze at Finlandia earlier this year). Keep up the great work!

Amber Corwin
(on the 3t3t combination) It's my trademark, so I've got to do it. It feels good to be on the top. I feel stronger than ever now. It's like a whoe new stage in my life. I felt fabulous out there, I felt like I was flying. It was magical. This is like my World Championships, because I'm not going to worlds.

ME: YES!!!!!!!!! Heck yeah, that's your trademark (TM).......you consistently do it over & over & over again despite the criticism that you're washed up.......h*** no, you don't even see the elite doing a 3/3 as consistently as this WARHORSE! WTG, Amber! My hat goes off double time to you and I'll be crossing my fingers for you in the long (no lie). :)^) Btw, reading Amber's words (aka "magical", "my World Championships") has put mist in my eye (no lie). :love:***

Jennifer Robinson
This was a total 100 per cent plus skate for me. Happy to get the flip done, the speed up and remember the choreography. Had extra adrenaline & intensity.
(on coming back from Nationals) It was the hardest week I've ever had. Nationals drains you and not a successful one drains you even more - I had 3 bad skates. I've had tears all week. Trained hard for 4 days, then took the weekend off and it worked

ME: another great job from another WARHORSE! *clapping* Good Luck in the FS, Jennifer!

Peace & Love, Nadine

:)GREAT JOB, LADIES!!!:)