Kerrigan/Harding ESPN documentary premieres Nov 5, 2013 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kerrigan/Harding ESPN documentary premieres Nov 5, 2013

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kerrigan must be getting paid for this because i can't see any other reason the bring up this sordid tale once again.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
They're going to air it during Sochi? Oh, yuck. Why would a fine skater like Nancy, a two-time Olympic medalist, want to be introduced to a new generation of sports viewers as part of that sorry series of events? Nancy contributed to the American record of Olympic excellence in a way that has not been matched by any ladies' skaters since 2006. Seven years of famine, and we bring out one of our best recent skaters to talk of her in this way? And then we give equal spotlight time to Harding? Distasteful.

I think you nailed it with seven years of famine. NBC is probably looking to get major interest generated back into figure skating. It's also been 20 years and with any major incident they tend to look back at it every so often. The US has a potential rivalry with Ashley and Gracie and its going to be an all out fight for that third spot so what better way than to bring up the incident that started it all. It's all about the ratings.... Tonya is probably in it for the money, Nancy doesn't need it, maybe a to let her fans know where she is at in her life with it? I can only speculate though.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Kerrigan must be getting paid for this because i can't see any other reason the bring up this sordid tale once again.

No, NBC is not paying Kerrigan for the interview.
But Kerrigan might have a very big :eek: incentive other than cash for cooperating with NBC's interview -- according to SI's reporting a week ago (which I saw for the first time today).

What makes this announcement interesting is the gamesmanship between ESPN and NBC for Kerrigan. ESPN Films announced in May that it was producing a 30 for 30 documentary on Harding and Kerrigan, a film being directed by Nanette Burstein, who co-directed the sensational documentary, "The Kid Stays In The Picture." Burstein told SI.com in May that she was optimistic Kerrigan would sit down with her for an interview but as of this writing, Kerrigan had declined ESPN's overtures (ESPN has already interviewed Harding). Burstein said if the she could not get Kerrigan on film, the documentary would still proceed. It is scheduled to air in November. Said an ESPN spokesperson: "We are still pursuing an interview with her, but we're completely prepared to do a film in which Nancy exists only in archives."
An NBC Sports spokesperson told SI.com on Saturday that Kerrigan is not being paid for her interview with Carillo. But when asked if Kerrigan was being considered for an on-air gig for the Sochi Games, the spokesperson said, "Nancy is among many former Winter Olympic athletes under consideration for an on-air role in Sochi."​

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IMO, there is money in it (somehow) for both Tonya and Nancy ... college costs are increasing astronomically.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Kerrigan live interview on NBC Today show - Fri Aug 23

This morning Matt Lauer just teased that the Today show will have a live interview with Kerrigan tomorrow.
IIRC, the tease said the interview is her first since her brother's conviction and is an exclusive.

Matt is a good interviewer and will ask questions tactfully, but I'm a bit anxious about it nonetheless.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Matt is a good interviewer and will ask questions tactfully, but I'm a bit anxious about it nonetheless.

Wild speculation:
I wonder whether the interview will be tied to an announcement that Kerrigan will be joining NBC's on-air talent line-up (as a commentator or whatever) for the Sochi Olympics.

Although Lauer read the tease, I don't know whether he will conduct tomorrow's interview.
Savannah Guthrie also is a good interviewer. :)

Here is the tease tweeted by @TodayShow:
Friday on TODAY...an exclusive live interview with Nancy Kerrigan. Tune in!
5:29 AM - 22 Aug 13
https://twitter.com/todayshow/status/370523184690237441

Sk8Boi

Match Penalty
If it is a DOCUMENTARY, then I may watch. If it is a re-hash of gossip and other B.S., I won't watch. I want to see the facts, and a non-biased presentation, i.e. a documentary.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Kerrigan live interview on NBC Today show - Fri Aug 23

For those in other time zones:
The Kerrigan segment ran from 7:32-7:38 am, including a set-up piece before the live interview, for which Kerrigan was in studio with Matt Lauer.
ETA, video link: on.today.com/16CJzN2

Kerrigan was not plugging anything, and now that I have seen the interview, I don't really understand the purpose of the booking -- except maybe to steal ESPN's thunder before its documentary airs in November. The interview was cordial, but Kerrigan did not seem to have a burning desire to say much of anything.

I don't think I'm spoiling anything to say that Lauer tried asking her a series of questions about her father's death, about her brother's trial and imprisonment, and about the Harding-related attack on Kerrigan herself. Kerrigan's mantra in reply to all of them was that she and her family want to move on and have moved on.
She finally spoke more eloquently about earning the silver at the 1994 Olympics -- summoning the mental focus to overcome her injury and withstand the intense media spotlight after the attack. :bow:

She is in NYC because of the U.S. Open and her husband's involvement in the tennis world. My hunch is that the Today show booked her for this morning (as opposed to any other) partly because she already was going to be in town anyway.

ETA: Or maybe Kerrigan wanted to be interviewed today so that she and her family would be guaranteed easy access to the One Direction concert? JK. ;) :rofl:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I slept through it... It's a good thing it's a Friday or Lauer would probably rake her over the coals for not answering his questions. He's really become a grumpy old man. If he doesn't get his way in an interview he doesn't hide his disappointment anymore.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
ESPN apparently did not air the Kerrigan/Harding documentary that once was scheduled for last night.

In July, ESPN had announced that the doc would be part of its 30 for 30 documentary series, but it seems to have disappeared entirely from the fall lineup.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
ESPN apparently did not air the Kerrigan/Harding documentary that once was scheduled for last night.

In July, ESPN had announced that the doc would be part of its 30 for 30 documentary series, but it seems to have disappeared entirely from the fall lineup.

I could see them using the footage closer to Sochi when skating will be more on people's minds.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
No, NBC is not paying Kerrigan for the interview.
But Kerrigan might have a very big :eek: incentive other than cash for cooperating with NBC's interview -- according to SI's reporting a week ago (which I saw for the first time today).

What makes this announcement interesting is the gamesmanship between ESPN and NBC for Kerrigan. ESPN Films announced in May that it was producing a 30 for 30 documentary on Harding and Kerrigan, a film being directed by Nanette Burstein, who co-directed the sensational documentary, "The Kid Stays In The Picture." Burstein told SI.com in May that she was optimistic Kerrigan would sit down with her for an interview but as of this writing, Kerrigan had declined ESPN's overtures (ESPN has already interviewed Harding). Burstein said if the she could not get Kerrigan on film, the documentary would still proceed. It is scheduled to air in November. Said an ESPN spokesperson: "We are still pursuing an interview with her, but we're completely prepared to do a film in which Nancy exists only in archives."
An NBC Sports spokesperson told SI.com on Saturday that Kerrigan is not being paid for her interview with Carillo. But when asked if Kerrigan was being considered for an on-air gig for the Sochi Games, the spokesperson said, "Nancy is among many former Winter Olympic athletes under consideration for an on-air role in Sochi."​

Wild speculation:
I wonder whether the interview will be tied to an announcement that Kerrigan will be joining NBC's on-air talent line-up (as a commentator or whatever) for the Sochi Olympics. ...

Here is the tease tweeted by @TodayShow:
Friday on TODAY...an exclusive live interview with Nancy Kerrigan. Tune in!
5:29 AM - 22 Aug 13
https://twitter.com/todayshow/status/370523184690237441

Finally, the other shoe has dropped, per NBC's press release yesterday:

Two-Time Olympic Figure Skating Medalist Nancy Kerrigan To Join NBC Olympics in Sochi
U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Famer to Serve as Skating Analyst for NBC Olympics & Appear on Additional NBCUniversal Properties

(Sorry if this news already has been discussed elsewhere on GS.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW: Jan 16, 9 p.m. ET, is the new air date/time for the ESPN documentary on Kerrigan and Harding.
http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=thepriceofgold (the page includes a link to a preview video)​