Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What does Suzuki lack?

Hybrid View

What does Suzuki lack?

Can the skaters or those with youunger, sharper eyes explain to me what Akiko lacks? I see her as underrated/underscored. I love her skating skills, her oy, her music choices, choreography. I was angry when they let Mao beat her at NHK. Besides her age, can someone explain to me any valid reasons that she seems not to get her due in Japan, or internationally.

I find her skating-esp last two years to be among the best of the ladies. For those who know IJS more than I and know Akiko better than I as a skater, I wonder what others feel her rank in the world should be, as opposed to what it is. "O'' was one of my favorite programs this past year. For me, Akiko is a very complete package. What flaws am I missing in general or in particular? Thank you.

Medalist
    Akiko is one of the most beautiful skaters right now. I think her skating is breathtaking, especially O. The first thing I thought of was that she probably isn't JFSF's number one. And as much as we don't like it, there are "favorites" in figure skating. Mao, Carolina and Yuna and the "it" girls. They have the reputation scoring and the added bonuses that Akiko doesn't have. Part of it is politicking, part of it is having the 3A that Mao has or the 3-3 that Yuna has which give them the WOW factor and the PCS boost. She is definitely being held down sometimes although other times she isn't as consistent as she needs to be.

~high art~
    She can't receive the GOE bonus because her jumps and spins are of mediocre quality to put it nicely.

She can't receive the PCS because she doesn't have many transitions and she is way too behind in style especially compared to the "top three."

I think she deserved the NHK and Four Continents wins over the actual winner, but I don't agree with the argument she is underscored. She is fairly scored most of the time, and even over marked in WTT where she broke 133 with a performance that lacked energy (so slow) and spark, and had multiple questionable rotations with poor landings.

Custom Title
    Suzuki lacks a chance of an Olympic medal and future expectations. Therefore she can't have strong federation supports. Suzuki sometimes receives very generous scores in Japan WHEN Asada bombed in the SP. That's a proof that the JSF is using Suzuki as a convenient tool. She never had performances and scores which might enable her to win an Olympic medal outside of Japan. Suzuki's bronze medal score at 2012 worlds was the 3rd lowest ladies' podium score under the new judging system. The "win" of WTT can't compensate for the 12th place at worlds in Canada. The highest score she had outside of Japan is only 181 pts. I think she will be finally ditched by the JSF if she couldn't prove her "chance of an Olympic medal" at Skate Canada. She could have WTT-like treatments at NHK trophy again, but it won't change their plans.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Suzuki lacks a chance of an Olympic medal and future expectations. Therefore she can't have strong federation supports. Suzuki sometimes receives very generous scores in Japan WHEN Asada bombed in the SP. That's a proof that the JSF is using Suzuki as a convenient tool. She never had performances and scores which might enable her to win an Olympic medal outside of Japan. Suzuki's bronze medal score at 2012 worlds was the 3rd lowest ladies' podium score under the new judging system. The "win" of WTT can't compensate for the 12th place at worlds in Canada. The highest score she had outside of Japan is only 181 pts. I think she will be finally ditched by the JSF if she couldn't prove her "chance of an Olympic medal" at Skate Canada. She could have WTT-like treatments at NHK trophy again, but it won't change their plans.
    I totally agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    I agree about NHK, strongly disagree about 4CC. Mao was the clear winner there in both SP and Lp.
    I agree she is underrated. Even the judges sometimes acknowledge that. I mean she got a huge score at 2013 WTT with a program less than steller compared to her NHK trophy LP. But when the new season comes, I think she'll be back in the 58-59 PCS category
    Hopefully not, when Adelina, Gracie and even Liza has proved that they can score higher PCS than that. Akiko, unless she has a meltdown, deserves a PCS around Ashley's or slightly below, considering how she's not Japan's #1 Lady.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Moment View Post
    I think she deserved the NHK and Four Continents wins over the actual winner,
    I agree about NHK, strongly disagree about 4CC. Mao was the clear winner there in both SP and Lp.
    I agree she is underrated. Even the judges sometimes acknowledge that. I mean she got a huge score at 2013 WTT with a program less than steller compared to her NHK trophy LP. But when the new season comes, I think she'll be back in the 58-59 PCS category

~high art~
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    Mao was the clear winner there in both SP and Lp.
    No, Akiko should have won the free skate and overall. Mao got too many passes from the tech caller for her shaky execution of spins where she did NOT fulfill the features (ROFL at them being strict). Her flip in the second half was URed as well. Also their PCS should have been around the same, not one noticeably above the other.

Custom Title
    Suzuki's PCS could be higher than Asada only in Japan and only when she skated after Asada. It doesn' matter how their contents were. Even at 2012 worlds, Asada's PCS was higher than Suzuki's. At that time, Suzuki skated after Asada in both SP and FS. Suzuki is treated as a "top skater" only in Japan for obvious reasons.

In other words, a "top skater only in Japan" is of little use at the Olympics.

Banned
    this will be her last season anyways, she could still be in the hunt for that Olympic spot
    it will really depend on Miki , but if Akiko performs poorly I agree her PCS will be in 57-59 range again
    she might have hit her all time peak last season, she is already going 28 years old

No, Akiko should have won the free skate and overall. Mao got too many passes from the tech caller for her shaky execution of spins where she did NOT fulfill the features (ROFL at them being strict). Her flip in the second half was URed as well. Also their PCS should have been around the same, not one noticeably above the other.
    are you fricken kidding me, there was no doubt that Mao was the clear winner in the in the sp and fs and overall, the gap between them was HUGE. Mao gave two phenomenal performances, both performances of Mao being one of my favorites that season. based on their performances there was no doubt for the viewers and commentators who the clear winner would be and that sure was also reflected in the scores.

I find it absurd that whenever Akiko competes against Mao you find her underscored, but everywhere else she is overscored

ps: Mao Asada received level 4 on all her spins in the freeskate, and except for one level3 spin in the sp, she also received level 4 on all her spins and steps in the sp too. so how about looking at the protocol before you begin to make your fake claim, otherwise it becomes really hard to take anything you say seriously!

by the way, the skater who according to the technical panel did NOT fulfill her features all season was Kim

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mary01 View Post
    by the way, the skater who according to the technical panel did NOT fulfill her features all season was Kim
    Uh-what do you mean by saying that Yuna did not fulfill all of the 'features'? Like, she never got level four for any spin(s) last season? Or was it that she didn't deserve level four for any of her spins that actually did receive level four?

~high art~
    The talk that Satoko is favoured over Akiko by the JSF is interesting. Oh well. Akiko at her best is certainly heads and shoulders above Satoko, but JSF's plans seem understandable when you think neither skaters have a good chance to medal.

It's easy to ignore URs anyway. I know skaters frequently get a pass for rotations when they're landed fine. And both skaters have UR issues, not just Satoko Miyahara.

Custom Title
    The talk that Satoko is favoured over Akiko by the JSF is interesting. Oh well. Akiko at her best is certainly heads and shoulders above Satoko, but JSF's plans seem understandable when you think neither skaters have a good chance to medal.

It's easy to ignore URs anyway. I know skaters frequently get a pass for rotations when they're landed fine. And both skaters have UR issues, not just Satoko Miyahara.
    Hmm, Miyahara's UR issues are much more apparent. Also, I hope JSF doesn't pull a Russian Federation-Kovtun-Menshov scenario and give a youngster a shot even if a veteran has "earned" their spot.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    I would hope, being that Akiko is planning on retiring next year, that the JSF wouldn't crap all over her in her final season. Let's not forget Akiko has been an integral part of keeping Japan in the standings over the last 4 years. Since 2010 she's placed 1st or 2nd at every GP event she's entered; she's been at every GPF and medaled in 2 of the 3 (4th in the other); she was the top Japanese lady in 2012, finishing ahead of Mao and Kanako at worlds and in the rankings that season. She's been a phenomenal representative of her country, very humble, gracious and classy despite some of the fudged up stuff they've done to her at these competitions.

If the JSF passes over Akiko for Satoko, I'd be appalled. I think Satoko is brilliant and as long as she continues to improve, she'll definitely be the flagship for the Japanese women in the 2014-2015 season. However, she lacks the overall maturity, polish, presence, experience and reputation Akiko has. As great as Satoko is, she'd be steamrolled in the standings next to the Big Three and a number of the 3rd tier skaters as well.

It's not Satoko's time yet. I'd like to see Mao, Akiko and Kanako go to Sochi. They've carried the bulk of the burden for the last 4 years and they deserve to get the opportunity to compete. Mao is a favorite for the podium and both Akiko and Kanako are outside shots at a medal but definite contenders for a top 5-10 finish. I barely see Satoko making the top 10 in Sochi. Her skating is still too small; the skill is there but the impact and presence is not. She needs time to mature and grow.

I would like to see Satoko get a spot on the world team this year or 4CC. If Mao and Akiko finish up in Sochi, I'd like to see Satoko, Kanako and maybe Haruka Imai or Rika Hongo (if she's eligible) go to worlds.

Banned
    I agree by fairness the Japanese Olympic team should already be Asada, Murakami, and Suzuki. Those three have been the constants this quad. Satoko's time will come, and Ando has had her time. IMO neither of those deserve to be on the Olympic team over the former three. However fairness does not always prevail in sport. The JSF will likely focus on what fits their own plans the best, as well as who skates well this season and at Nationals.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast