What does Suzuki lack? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What does Suzuki lack?

christinaskater

Medalist
Oh, I know her chances of winning are extremely low to nonexistent. But in a scenario where there is a surprise gold medalist at the games, my vote would go for Akiko. Ice is slippery though, so you never know what will happen. :)

I will also give the Gold medal to Akiko Suzuki. She is just glorious!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Oh, I know her chances of winning are extremely low to nonexistent. But in a scenario where there is a surprise gold medalist at the games, my vote would go for Akiko. Ice is slippery though, so you never know what will happen. :)

That would be the biggest upset in Olympic skating history bar none. Even a bigger upset than Paul Wylie's shock silver in 1992. It might even be the biggest upset in any skating competition period if Suzuki won the OGM next year. A year ago I wouldnt have said that, but obviously a ton has changed in one year.

b-man

Final Flight
I believe the 3rd skater should be selected on the basis of "usefulness for Japan", not current scoring abilities. Miyahara is expected to make contributions (along with Murakami) at least until Marin moves up to the senior rank. It probably means that Miyahara is responsible for obtaining the spots for 2018. They shouldn't waste a valuable Olympic spot to a veteran who has no chance of a medal and future expectations.

I disagree with this philosophy. Why waste a spot on Miyahara, who would be lucky to be in the top 15 in Sochi, when you have a skater who should be in the top six or top eight? Wouldn't that be more useful for Japan to have three skaters in the top ten? Miyahara will have many chances in 2014-2015 to take her place on Japan's world team after Mao and Akiko retire. Giving her Sochi experience won't make her UR's suddenly dissappear. She may be the future, but she hasn't shown she is worthy of displacing Akiko for Sochi.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I believe the 3rd skater should be selected on the basis of "usefulness for Japan", not current scoring abilities. Miyahara is expected to make contributions (along with Murakami) at least until Marin moves up to the senior rank. It probably means that Miyahara is responsible for obtaining the spots for 2018. They shouldn't waste a valuable Olympic spot to a veteran who has no chance of a medal and future expectations.

I wouldn't say Suzuki has no chances of a medal. Suzuki has beaten Mao (at WTT), and should have won NHK. She is inconsistent between her SP and FS, but I wouldn't count her out. For OGM though that is very unlikely.

Moment

Final Flight
I wouldn't say Suzuki has no chances of a medal. Suzuki has beaten Mao (at WTT), and should have won NHK. She is inconsistent between her SP and FS, but I wouldn't count her out. For OGM though that is very unlikely.

Mao is not the only skater she has to beat for Bronze, though.

Not to say Akiko doesn't have a chance, but unfortunately many things are holding her back.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
her biggest hurdle now is time and age
I think she might have passed her all time peak last season

she regressed a bit in the middle of last season
since her great form in 2011

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Mao is not the only skater she has to beat for Bronze, though.

Not to say Akiko doesn't have a chance, but unfortunately many things are holding her back.

This is true (about Mao)... but I think many think the overwhelming favourites for the podium are Kim, Mao and Kostner, particularly with their PCS advantage over the field. Suzuki can garner good PCS but she's one of those skaters that her PCS actually reflects her performance/skate (I know, what a concept!) instead of being able to rely on good PCS even with errors. If she goes clean, she can really put the pressure on Kostner and Asada. The Olympics is about skating clean, and it's not something that Kostner and Asada are known for, so the judges might be inclined to reward a clean Suzuki. Even Murakami who is prone to UR's might end up placing well if her program "looks" cleaner.

Moment

Final Flight
This is true (about Mao)... but I think many think the overwhelming favourites for the podium are Kim, Mao and Kostner, particularly with their PCS advantage over the field. Suzuki can garner good PCS but she's one of those skaters that her PCS actually reflects her performance/skate (I know, what a concept!) instead of being able to rely on good PCS even with errors. If she goes clean, she can really put the pressure on Kostner and Asada. The Olympics is about skating clean, and it's not something that Kostner and Asada are known for, so the judges might be inclined to reward a clean Suzuki. Even Murakami who is prone to UR's might end up placing well if her program "looks" cleaner.

Mao can definitely produce "cleanish" skates in good form, a recent example being her GPF performances except for the doubled Salchow. A doubled jump is not a major mistake that disturbs the program as a whole, anyway.

There are too many "ifs" for a scenario that allows Akiko a top three finish. Very few, small to no errors from the skater, the other skaters not performing well enough. Because she is not clearly ahead of the rest of the field who are NOT "the top three" skaters (more accurately, Yuna and the other two :p). She is now in the mix with other top level skaters including two Americans, two Russians and Kanako Murakami.

thinspread

On the Ice
She gets a lot of respect from me. She's got to where she's now against the odds. I don't mean in the talent department, but the overt favoritism of her fed and her earlier struggle with physical disorder. I want to see her on the Sochi podium. I wish she skate with the same confidence and focus as she did in NHK.

deedee1

Record Breaker
GOOooooo Akiko! GOOOooooo other ladies!! Olympic medals are not sealed/stamped for and shipped to only these three skaters YET. ;) (Hoping I have picked up English words that are appropriate enough, but apology if sounding a bit cynical to some of you. :p)

I don't think you sound cynical. You're exactly right, Deedee. The future is open, and one never knows how a competition will turn out. And that's a good thing. Otherwise, the leaders would grow complacent, and the climbers would have no reason to keep on trying. In a way it's unfortunate that there are more good skaters than there are medals, but it also means that many skaters have a chance to excel, and fans can root for more than just two or three "inevitable" champions.

Jtsmith12

On the Ice
I think Akiko has a great shot of making the Olympic team. Besides I don't think anyone is a lock to make the team yet. I do think that if she does make the team I could see her placing top 10. Maybe even top 5.

Sk8Boi

Match Penalty
She is old and lacks excitement and her skating is stale. So she lacks excitement, youthful vigor, originality and pizzzazzzzz.

chloepoco

Medalist
She is old and lacks excitement and her skating is stale. So she lacks excitement, youthful vigor, originality and pizzzazzzzz.

Are you kidding me?! Akiko is one of the few skaters who can get the audiences excited to watch, is full of vigor, originality and pizazz!!

aftertherain

Record Breaker

Lol, you. There are numerous skaters who lack what you claim Akiko lacks and they're all younger than she is! Ain't nothin' to do with age. And when Akiko is on, she's got "youthful" vigor and pizzazz in spades. Her "Die Fledermaus" program, which was done in the same year as Davis/White's, was arguably on par with theirs in terms of speed, enchantment, and vitality. Sheer brilliance.

minze

Medalist
I think Akiko has a great shot of making the Olympic team. Besides I don't think anyone is a lock to make the team yet. I do think that if she does make the team I could see her placing top 10. Maybe even top 5.

Mao Asada is a lock for that team. Seriously, even if she placed 4th at nationals they will send her to the Olympics. Mao Asada is the queen of Japanese skating and I think rightfully so. She brings the sponsors, ratings and fans. Not to say Akiko and others don't bring anything, but not to the level of Mao. Mao would have to bomb really badly like placing below top 10 not to go to the Olympics.
Before people complain about how Mao gets preferential treatment, considered this: she has brought more medals to Japan in her reining as a top skater than anyone . she brings the money for the federation and the fans consider her #1. So Mao has earned the treatment she gets from her federation

With all that said, I think Akiko deserves to go to the Olympics and I think she will go to the olympics

leoncorazon

Skating on through
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I love Akiko because she skates with heart but I think that she could definitely be more streched out...sometimes her knees look bent to me...I think that maybe it's her line and her inconsistency that hold her back...

altuixde

On the Ice
Akiko is one of my favorite skaters. That being said, one small flaw that comes to mind is that sometimes, before a jump, you can see on her face that she's thinking "Uh-oh." This doesn't happen in every performance, and even when it does happen it isn't too distracting. Perhaps other skaters do this too, but I only remember Akiko doing it (possibly because Akiko is just more memorable to me in general).

NMURA

Medalist
Miyahara's performances at Asian Trophy definitely impressed the JSF officials, and Suzuki must be feeling mounting pressure now...
According to a hearsay, Suzuki is assigned to Finlandia Trophy. Probably she wants to be on the top of world standings (and skate before Asada at NHK). But Russia is sending strong skaters to Finlandia these days. Without sufficient preparations, she could only damage her reputation further. It is not in Japan so she will not be treated as a top skater.