Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 141

Thread: What does Suzuki lack?

  1. #76
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Boi View Post
    She is old and lacks excitement and her skating is stale. So she lacks excitement, youthful vigor, originality and pizzzazzzzz.

    Lol, you. There are numerous skaters who lack what you claim Akiko lacks and they're all younger than she is! Ain't nothin' to do with age. And when Akiko is on, she's got "youthful" vigor and pizzazz in spades. Her "Die Fledermaus" program, which was done in the same year as Davis/White's, was arguably on par with theirs in terms of speed, enchantment, and vitality. Sheer brilliance.

  2. #77
    Custom Title Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtsmith12 View Post
    I think Akiko has a great shot of making the Olympic team. Besides I don't think anyone is a lock to make the team yet. I do think that if she does make the team I could see her placing top 10. Maybe even top 5.
    Mao Asada is a lock for that team. Seriously, even if she placed 4th at nationals they will send her to the Olympics. Mao Asada is the queen of Japanese skating and I think rightfully so. She brings the sponsors, ratings and fans. Not to say Akiko and others don't bring anything, but not to the level of Mao. Mao would have to bomb really badly like placing below top 10 not to go to the Olympics.
    Before people complain about how Mao gets preferential treatment, considered this: she has brought more medals to Japan in her reining as a top skater than anyone . she brings the money for the federation and the fans consider her #1. So Mao has earned the treatment she gets from her federation

    With all that said, I think Akiko deserves to go to the Olympics and I think she will go to the olympics

  3. #78
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    67
    I love Akiko because she skates with heart but I think that she could definitely be more streched out...sometimes her knees look bent to me...I think that maybe it's her line and her inconsistency that hold her back...

  4. #79
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    91
    Akiko is one of my favorite skaters. That being said, one small flaw that comes to mind is that sometimes, before a jump, you can see on her face that she's thinking "Uh-oh." This doesn't happen in every performance, and even when it does happen it isn't too distracting. Perhaps other skaters do this too, but I only remember Akiko doing it (possibly because Akiko is just more memorable to me in general).

  5. #80
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    956
    Miyahara's performances at Asian Trophy definitely impressed the JSF officials, and Suzuki must be feeling mounting pressure now...
    According to a hearsay, Suzuki is assigned to Finlandia Trophy. Probably she wants to be on the top of world standings (and skate before Asada at NHK). But Russia is sending strong skaters to Finlandia these days. Without sufficient preparations, she could only damage her reputation further. It is not in Japan so she will not be treated as a top skater.

  6. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    This is true (about Mao)... but I think many think the overwhelming favourites for the podium are Kim, Mao and Kostner, particularly with their PCS advantage over the field. Suzuki can garner good PCS but she's one of those skaters that her PCS actually reflects her performance/skate (I know, what a concept!) instead of being able to rely on good PCS even with errors. If she goes clean, she can really put the pressure on Kostner and Asada. The Olympics is about skating clean, and it's not something that Kostner and Asada are known for, so the judges might be inclined to reward a clean Suzuki. Even Murakami who is prone to UR's might end up placing well if her program "looks" cleaner.
    Even if she were able to beat one of Mao or Kostner somehow, there is also Wagner, the Russians, Gold, and her remaining teammate (whomever that would be, presumably Murakami) to worry about as well. All skaters probably more favored than she is at this point, especialy after her 11th place at Worlds. That is without even getting into the dark horses like Osmond, Li, Korpi, etc... A medal is a huge ask for her at this moment, and it wont be an automatic neccessarily even if she beats Mao (which probably means Mao had a bad skate and lost to some of these others too, and thus no guarantee Suzuki is above all these others to get a medal).

  7. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Miyahara's performances at Asian Trophy definitely impressed the JSF officials, and Suzuki must be feeling mounting pressure now...
    According to a hearsay, Suzuki is assigned to Finlandia Trophy. Probably she wants to be on the top of world standings (and skate before Asada at NHK). But Russia is sending strong skaters to Finlandia these days. Without sufficient preparations, she could only damage her reputation further. It is not in Japan so she will not be treated as a top skater.
    but I dont think they should bank on Miyahara yet either with her tiny jumps
    but you are right the JSF probably thinks she has passed her all time peak and needs to invest on younger skaters, she was never a favorite anyways in the first place.

    Suzuki isnt getting younger she is turning 29 years old

  8. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    To me she is an example how judges dont differntiate various PC categories. IMO her interpretation mark should be higher than everyone except on some occasions (but not all) Kim or Kostner. Her performance should be near the top too. Skating skills and transitions she would be more mid pack of the top 12 skaters I agree, but it seems since she isnt tops in those the other PC categories follow suit.

  9. #84
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,858
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    but I dont think they should bank on Miyahara yet either with her tiny jumps
    but you are right the JSF probably thinks she has passed her all time peak and needs to invest on younger skaters, she was never a favorite anyways in the first place.

    Suzuki isnt getting younger she is turning 29 years old
    Age isn't really an issue. Arakawa was about 27, Shen/Zhao were in their 30's. Plushenko was 27 in Vancouver. Clearly, Suzuki is no spring chicken, but she's still producing some of her finest skating, regardless of her age.

  10. #85
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,339
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    To me she is an example how judges dont differntiate various PC categories. IMO her interpretation mark should be higher than everyone except on some occasions (but not all) Kim or Kostner. Her performance should be near the top too. Skating skills and transitions she would be more mid pack of the top 12 skaters I agree, but it seems since she isnt tops in those the other PC categories follow suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Age isn't really an issue. Arakawa was about 27, Shen/Zhao were in their 30's. Plushenko was 27 in Vancouver. Clearly, Suzuki is no spring chicken, but she's still producing some of her finest skating, regardless of her age.
    I agree with everything that has been said. I can see why she doesn't get top marks for SS and TR, but still don't see why judges don't award her higher marks for P/E and IN.

  11. #86
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    956
    Age is the issue.
    Arakawa never competed Vancouver Olympics. Plushenko had extraordianry jumping talents (when he was young) and no one could be compared (maybe save Hanyu). Shen/Zhao are pair skaters. Their technical requirements are much less than the singles skaters. What is the point of giving the 3rd spot to a mentally unstable and inconsistent 29 y/o who has no chance of an Olympic medal? I think Suzuki needs to win Skate Canada with Olympic medal-worthy performances to let the JSF reconsider their "plans".

  12. #87
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,073
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Age is the issue.
    Arakawa never competed Vancouver Olympics. Plushenko had extraordianry jumping talents (when he was young) and no one could be compared (maybe save Hanyu). Shen/Zhao are pair skaters. Their technical requirements are much less than the singles skaters. What is the point of giving the 3rd spot to a mentally unstable and inconsistent 29 y/o who has no chance of an Olympic medal? I think Suzuki needs to win Skate Canada with Olympic medal-worthy performances to let the JSF reconsider their "plans".
    Seriously?

    Well if everything is predetermined, what's the point of Akiko competing this season? Shessh....for her sake, I hope she proves everyone wrong.

  13. #88
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,339
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Age is the issue.
    Arakawa never competed Vancouver Olympics. Plushenko had extraordianry jumping talents (when he was young) and no one could be compared (maybe save Hanyu). Shen/Zhao are pair skaters. Their technical requirements are much less than the singles skaters. What is the point of giving the 3rd spot to a mentally unstable and inconsistent 29 y/o who has no chance of an Olympic medal? I think Suzuki needs to win Skate Canada with Olympic medal-worthy performances to let the JSF reconsider their "plans".
    Geez. You're really throwing everything out there because you really, really want Satoko on that Olympic team, don't you?

  14. #89
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    You mean Satoko Miyahara, who landed a total of one clean triple at Jr. Worlds?

    Maybe if Akiko, a World medalist and 8-time GP medalist, forgets to show up to Japanese Nationals next season.

  15. #90
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,339
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    You mean Satoko Miyahara, who landed a total of one clean triple at Jr. Worlds?
    Yes, that one. NMURA seems quite adamant on Ms. Miyahara making the team no matter what Akiko Suzuki does (except "win Skate Canada").

    Something about "more exposure" (higher PCS?) for Satoko on the senior circuit before the 2014-2015 season. When's a better time than the Olympics? Just ask Miki Ando. She totally splatted all over the place at 2006 Olympics and then somehow outmaneuvered Mao at 2007 Worlds for the gold.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •