What does Suzuki lack? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

What does Suzuki lack?

b-man

Final Flight
I would like to see Satoko get a spot on the world team this year or 4CC. If Mao and Akiko finish up in Sochi, I'd like to see Satoko, Kanako and maybe Haruka Imai or Rika Hongo (if she's eligible) go to worlds.

I agree with almost all of your post. However, since 2014 world's are in Tokyo, it would seem logical that Mao and Akiko would like to make possibly their final appearance before a home crowd, and I am sure the Japanese home audience would also very much want to see their final appearance at a World's in Tokyo.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
My picks

SA: Asada, Wagner, Radionova
SC: Kim, Gold, Osmond
CoC: Sotnikova, Kostner, Murukami (I agree with Patongfan that Kostner can have a bad event in the GP, especially her first)
NHK: Asada, Gold, Radionova
TEB: Kim, Sotnikova, Wagner
CoR: Kostner, Lipnitskaya, Murakami

There's always surprises on the GP circuit and the only thing I feel certain about is Kim winning her events.

interesting, this looks closest to a realistic results
but well see

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
If both Suzuki and Murakami fail to reach the grand prix final I see Ando's stock (which I currently consider very low) of making the Japanese Olympic team, suddenly will go way up, as the JSF will not be at all pleased or impressed if they dont have atleast 2 women in the final.

I think it is very possible for neither of those two to make the final. Suzuki does not get good scores unless she skates very well. Murukami is good but I feel like she is someone who places high because the others make mistakes. Realistically, there are 3 spots in the final that are up for grabs and Gold, Wagner, Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova, Tuk, and Radionova have as good a chance as the Japanese women to earn one.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I feel like Radionova will be like Tuktamysheva a few years ago. Her technical ability is very consistent, and she can certainly steal the silver at Skate Canada.

Suzuki has a tough set of GP spots, but I can picture her medaling at both, and maybe even making the GPF.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I feel like Radionova will be like Tuktamysheva a few years ago. Her technical ability is very consistent, and she can certainly steal the silver at Skate Canada.

Suzuki has a tough set of GP spots, but I can picture her medaling at both, and maybe even making the GPF.

Radionova is in Skate America not Skate Canada

Suzuki has really only have a shot at bronze, Gold will be Kim and silver will go to Osmond skating in home ice no matter how she skates
her bronze she has to fight with Gracie, Julia and Kiira

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Radionova is in Skate America not Skate Canada

Suzuki has really only have a shot at bronze, Gold will be Kim and silver will go to Osmond skating in home ice no matter how she skates
her bronze she has to fight with Gracie, Julia and Kiira

Right, I meant SA.

I don't think Osmond is guaranteed a silver. I actually think she could be off the podium at Skate Canada if she skates poorly, and given the field (Korpi is a question mark but I expect Gold and Lipnitskaia, and of course Kim, to skate well). Her PCS will be higher than Julia and Gracie, but if she messes up elements there will be no saving her. Akiko with two strong skates can handily take silver. Her problem is usually one being good and not the other.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Right, I meant SA.

I don't think Osmond is guaranteed a silver. I actually think she could be off the podium at Skate Canada if she skates poorly, and given the field (Korpi is a question mark but I expect Gold and Lipnitskaia, and of course Kim, to skate well). Her PCS will be higher than Julia and Gracie, but if she messes up elements there will be no saving her. Akiko with two strong skates can handily take silver. Her problem is usually one being good and not the other.

Akiko doesnt do well early in the season, she might even be off the podium in SC
Osmond usually does ok skating in home ice, she feels she is secured and her scores will be inflated
less than 3 Falls in LP and a clean SP she will easily take the silver in home ice,
an almost clean Osmond might even challenge Yuna for the Gold or will have almost the same scores skating on home ice

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Osmond usually does ok skating in home ice, she feels she is secured and her scores will be inflated
less than 3 Falls in LP and a clean SP she will easily take the silver in home ice,
an almost clean Osmond might even challenge Yuna for the Gold or will have almost the same scores skating on home ice

I do think there is home ice inflation but I don't think it is to this extent. Even if clean, Osmond's skating isn't refined enough to challenge Yuna, and I don't think her BV is high enough to challenge Gracie if she skates well.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Right, I meant SA.

I don't think Kaetlyn is guaranteed higher PCS than Gracie. Gracie has very, very strong skating skills and is making strides in her presentation that should be evident by the time SC rolls around. I agree that Akiko is well within reach of a silver medal, but on the flipside, she's a skater who can either be brilliant or catastrophic without warning. Yuna, barring disaster, will easily overtake the rest of the field at both of her events.

I'm very interested to see how Radionova and Tukt fare at SA.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I do think there is home ice inflation but I don't think it is to this extent. Even if clean, Osmond's skating isn't refined enough to challenge Yuna, and I don't think her BV is high enough to challenge Gracie if she skates well.

her PCS has already been propped, she gets already a higher PCS than Sotnikova and Gracie :frown: , all it needs is another GOE tweaking
but she might be in trouble at Cup of Russia, Osmond wont have inflated scores outside Canada, I think she senses this thus
she usually panics and falls all over the place

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I don't think Kaetlyn is guaranteed higher PCS than Gracie. Gracie has very, very strong skating skills and is making strides in her presentation that should be evident by the time SC rolls around. I agree that Akiko is well within reach of a silver medal, but on the flipside, she's a skater who can either be brilliant or catastrophic without warning. Yuna, barring disaster, will easily overtake the rest of the field at both of her events.

I'm very interested to see how Radionova and Tukt fare at SA.

Tuk wont be at test skates tommorow, that might be a sign she isnt ready yet
I would put Radionova as higher chance of medaling than Tuk, both a bronze medal at best.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Akiko doesnt do well early in the season, she might even be off the podium in SC

1.) Akiko has done quite well on the GP: Since she did her first GP event in 2008 (NHK Trophy), she's only been off-the-podium twice. In 2009 at Skate Canada and in 2010 at the Grand Prix Final.
2.) Worlds was on home ice and Osmond finished 8th after having two falls, so she's not going to medal just because it's on home ice.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
1.) Akiko has done quite well on the GP: Since she did her first GP event in 2008 (NHK Trophy), she's only been off-the-podium twice. In 2009 at Skate Canada and in 2010 at the Grand Prix Final.
2.) Worlds was on home ice and Osmond finished 8th after having two falls, so she's not going to medal just because it's on home ice.

Worlds was with all the top tier skaters
Osmonds only skater she cannot reach is Yuna, so silver is definitely attainable for her
Akiko won silver last GP in Canada, Osmond won and that was without Kim Yuna

realistically, Akiko will be fighting for bronze with Gracie, Julia maybe Kiira

npavel

On the Ice
Kiira is definitely ready by SA as she has to fight for a spot at Olympics at Nebelhorn. I'm not sure Osmons is, her programs look quite unpolished as we saw

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

You are exagerrating the impact of home ice. Osmond's short program at Worlds was clean and her best, and she had only the 8th highest PCS, and couldnt even beat Murakami doing the same jumps. Kostner with a fall was over her too. Then when she fell twice in the LP she was rightfully dumped way down and home ice could not save her.

Home ice might give her an advantage on Gold and Suzuki she might not get elsewhere if they skate comparably well, but if not she wont be held up.

As for being close to Yu Na Kim, yeah if Kim falls in the short program, has another UR in the short program, and falls atleast 3 times in the long program, while Osmond is totally clean on home ice with improved presentation and difficulty compared to last year their scores might be close at Skate Canada. Otherwise no. People should have learnt from the poster who humiliated themselves by starting a thread before Worlds how clean Osmond could challenge clean Kim at Worlds, and would/should get equal or higher PCS.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Kiira is definitely ready by SA as she has to fight for a spot at Olympics at Nebelhorn. I'm not sure Osmons is, her programs look quite unpolished as we saw

Kiira's competing at SC, not SA. I don't doubt that she'll get an Olympic spot for Finland at Nebelhorn.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It will be interesting if Kiira can do any damage this season. She seemed to be a dangerous floater last year before being injured, but suddenly the field seems alot deeper with all the up and comers. There are about 12 or 13 women now who are extremely strong skaters, maybe more.

thinspread

On the Ice
It will be interesting if Kiira can do any damage this season. She seemed to be a dangerous floater last year before being injured, but suddenly the field seems alot deeper with all the up and comers. There are about 12 or 13 women now who are extremely strong skaters, maybe more.

Yes, it will be interesting how Korpi would fare against Gold, Osmond, Lipnitskaia at SC.

b-man

Final Flight
I think it is very possible for neither of those two to make the final. Suzuki does not get good scores unless she skates very well. Murukami is good but I feel like she is someone who places high because the others make mistakes. Realistically, there are 3 spots in the final that are up for grabs and Gold, Wagner, Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova, Tuk, and Radionova have as good a chance as the Japanese women to earn one.

Wagner had an advantage last year with a relatively easy field at SA. The US Fed has arranged another relatively easy field at SA this year, plus Wagner has TEB which also has a relatively easy field. Sotnikova also has TEB plus CoC, two relatively easy fields. Gold and Suzuki both have SC and NHK which both have deeper quality fields, so it will be more difficult for them to make the final.