Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best coaches in the world in each discipline?

Custom Title

Post Best coaches in the world in each discipline?

Who does everyone think are the best coaches in the world in each discipline, or do you think they're all as good as eachother?

I thought it might be an interesting discussion!

Custom Title
    In ice dance, I think Marina Zueva is incredible, as not only does she coach the normal things but also her choreography is great across all the disciplines!

Banned
    Zueva is also renowed for recycling programs and plagiarism

singles:
    Krall, Orser, Nicks, Mishin

Ice Dance:
    Shipilband

Pairs;
    Moskvina - the good ol' days

Custom Title
    Dance-zueva
    Pairs-still going to say moskvina
    Singles - morozov or orser

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Dance-zueva
    Pairs-still going to say moskvina
    Singles - morozov or orser
    I dont get the Zueva credits, she's not a real coach
    she is more like a choreographer abeit recylcing it again and again

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    I dont get the Zueva credits, she's not a real coach
    she is more like a choreographer abeit recylcing it again and again
    This is totally accurate! However her top 2 teams are top 2 in the world! If ice dance judges love recycling then she will give them all the recycling they can swallow!!!

Custom Title
    Where is Patrick Chan's coach in this discussion? Oh wait he doesn't have a coach.

Miserere Nobis
    Singles: Mishin, Nicks, Orser

Dance: Zoueva

Custom Title
    singles: Orser, Carroll

Custom Title
    Isn't it great that Orser has become one of the best coaches?
    Carroll definitely for singles, and Mishin. What about Nobuo Sato of Japan? I'd put him in the top ranks.

For pairs, Moskvina still heads my list. She's not just a wonderful coach but a great and innovative choreographer. And shouldn't we include Yao Bin for pairs? He practically birthed the Chinese pairs program, though it seems to be entering a dormant period right now. Look at the three pairs he did shepherd onto the world stage.

I don't know which of the two, Zoueva or Shpilband, is responsible for most of the incredible quality of the Canton ice dancers, but one or both of them should definitely be on this list. I'd add Betty Calloway, Torvill and Dean's coach.

Tarasova's track record goes across several disciplines. She started out with ice dancers, including Olympic champions Klimova/Ponomarenko and Bestemianova/Bukin and ended up coaching both men and ladies to OGMs, including Arakawa, Yagudin, and Kulik. She didn't coach them from scratch but seems to have had a hand in their final development.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Pairs: Moskvina & Yao Bin (especially because he took China from also ran status to a world power in pairs)
    Dance: I'd give it to Shpilband over Moskvina, because he took the US from also ran status to a world power in dance, and because he appears to truly have been the technical force between the Shpilband/Zoueva pair. You can always pay a choreographer separately, but the technical coaching is where the rubber really meets the road

Singles: Mishin, with a shoutout to Tarasova from the past

Ladies: Tammy Gambill

This woman has completely changed both Caroline Zhang and Karen Chen.

Before Caroline went to Tammy, she had a mule kick to the moon. After only a few months with her, the mule kick was practically gone.
    Tammy enabled Caroline to win a bronze medal at 4CC's making Caroline the only US lady with multiple ISU Championship Medals.

Before Karen Chen went to Tammy, she was under rotating many jumps an landing almost on the side of her skate. After, her jumps looked much improver and her JUNIOR score of 61.34 is the highest SP score posted by a US lady this summer, junior or senior.

Custom Title
    See, I don't agree with Tarasova being mentioned in a "best coach" poll, particularly for singles.

The men she's "coached" to success came to her with all the goods already. Kulik had his impeccable jump technique from Kudriatsev (sp?) already. Yagudin had his Mishin technique. Even Kovtun got his technique elsewhere. She's more of a choreographer than a coach.

Singles:
    Mishin for jumps; Nicks/Orser for packaging; Morozov for consistency/confidence and politicking

Pairs:
    Steuer, Moskvina, Yao, Vasiliev

Dance:
    Shpilband, Zhulin, Krylova

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    See, I don't agree with Tarasova being mentioned in a "best coach" poll, particularly for singles.

The men she's "coached" to success came to her with all the goods already. Kulik had his impeccable jump technique from Kudriatsev (sp?) already. Yagudin had his Mishin technique. Even Kovtun got his technique elsewhere. She's more of a choreographer than a coach.
    This is very true - Tarasova actually tried to change Yagudin's technique, but he refused to let her make any changes.
    And Kovtun and Sotnikova both get their technique from Buyanova

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast