Best coaches in the world in each discipline? | Golden Skate

Best coaches in the world in each discipline?

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
Who does everyone think are the best coaches in the world in each discipline, or do you think they're all as good as eachother?

I thought it might be an interesting discussion!

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
In ice dance, I think Marina Zueva is incredible, as not only does she coach the normal things but also her choreography is great across all the disciplines!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Zueva is also renowed for recycling programs and plagiarism

singles:
Krall, Orser, Nicks, Mishin

Ice Dance:
Shipilband

Pairs;
Moskvina - the good ol' days

gmyers

Record Breaker
I dont get the Zueva credits, she's not a real coach
she is more like a choreographer abeit recylcing it again and again

This is totally accurate! However her top 2 teams are top 2 in the world! If ice dance judges love recycling then she will give them all the recycling they can swallow!!!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Where is Patrick Chan's coach in this discussion? Oh wait he doesn't have a coach. :laugh:

Isn't it great that Orser has become one of the best coaches?
Carroll definitely for singles, and Mishin. What about Nobuo Sato of Japan? I'd put him in the top ranks.

For pairs, Moskvina still heads my list. She's not just a wonderful coach but a great and innovative choreographer. And shouldn't we include Yao Bin for pairs? He practically birthed the Chinese pairs program, though it seems to be entering a dormant period right now. Look at the three pairs he did shepherd onto the world stage.

I don't know which of the two, Zoueva or Shpilband, is responsible for most of the incredible quality of the Canton ice dancers, but one or both of them should definitely be on this list. I'd add Betty Calloway, Torvill and Dean's coach.

Tarasova's track record goes across several disciplines. She started out with ice dancers, including Olympic champions Klimova/Ponomarenko and Bestemianova/Bukin and ended up coaching both men and ladies to OGMs, including Arakawa, Yagudin, and Kulik. She didn't coach them from scratch but seems to have had a hand in their final development.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Pairs: Moskvina & Yao Bin (especially because he took China from also ran status to a world power in pairs)
Dance: I'd give it to Shpilband over Moskvina, because he took the US from also ran status to a world power in dance, and because he appears to truly have been the technical force between the Shpilband/Zoueva pair. You can always pay a choreographer separately, but the technical coaching is where the rubber really meets the road

Singles: Mishin, with a shoutout to Tarasova from the past

Reginald

Match Penalty
Ladies: Tammy Gambill

This woman has completely changed both Caroline Zhang and Karen Chen.

Before Caroline went to Tammy, she had a mule kick to the moon. After only a few months with her, the mule kick was practically gone.
Tammy enabled Caroline to win a bronze medal at 4CC's making Caroline the only US lady with multiple ISU Championship Medals.

Before Karen Chen went to Tammy, she was under rotating many jumps an landing almost on the side of her skate. After, her jumps looked much improver and her JUNIOR score of 61.34 is the highest SP score posted by a US lady this summer, junior or senior.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
See, I don't agree with Tarasova being mentioned in a "best coach" poll, particularly for singles.

The men she's "coached" to success came to her with all the goods already. Kulik had his impeccable jump technique from Kudriatsev (sp?) already. Yagudin had his Mishin technique. Even Kovtun got his technique elsewhere. She's more of a choreographer than a coach.

Macassar88

Medalist
Singles:
Mishin for jumps; Nicks/Orser for packaging; Morozov for consistency/confidence and politicking

Pairs:
Steuer, Moskvina, Yao, Vasiliev

Dance:
Shpilband, Zhulin, Krylova

Macassar88

Medalist
See, I don't agree with Tarasova being mentioned in a "best coach" poll, particularly for singles.

The men she's "coached" to success came to her with all the goods already. Kulik had his impeccable jump technique from Kudriatsev (sp?) already. Yagudin had his Mishin technique. Even Kovtun got his technique elsewhere. She's more of a choreographer than a coach.
This is very true - Tarasova actually tried to change Yagudin's technique, but he refused to let her make any changes.
And Kovtun and Sotnikova both get their technique from Buyanova

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
My choices:

Single: Mr. Nicks, with a shout out to Carlo & Christa Fassi.

Pairs: Tamara Moskvina

Ice Dance: Marina Zuoeva & Igor Shpilband

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I happen to like Marina's "recycled" choreography... if that's what it is.

However, if the top 2 teams retire after Sochi as expected, Shpilband's camp could begin to sweep medal stands again.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Singles:Carroll, Nicks, Orser, Mishin & Sato. Interesting I chose all male coaches?
Pairs: Moskvina
Dance: Shpilband

bebevia

On the Ice
Isn't it great that Orser has become one of the best coaches?
This reminds me: he stepped up as a named coach only after Yuna. His interests were kids, amateurs, and leisure skaters, and Yuna crew spent a long time persuading him to be her (an elite skater's) coach. I guess she changed his likes on coaching competitive skaters. Although Orser was unnamed partly by his choice, his career and connections (besides fair coaching style & commitment) definitely made it easier for his coaching fame once he became confident.

On the same note, I wonder how many unnamed talented coaches are out there that weren't lucky enough to coach a (potential) celebrity skater. Many should be glad to be recognized, but don't have the resources, opportunities, vigour, or sadly, talents - all four are needed in becoming recognized in any field. Also, sometimes, certain styles are inadequate for beginners but good on elites, but often the effect unknown even to oneself before tried; and one often must prove with a random baby who will by miracle continue working with the coach into seniors after realizing his/her talent. I assume quite a few, but who knows unless we've gone through each, if they indeed are just unlucky or not?

Skaters with serious potentials choose to work with tried-and-proven ones; the more skaters a coach tries, the better he/she becomes at it; it takes one success to advance. No one can or should risk a serious skater to an uninsured choice, but at the same time, I really wanna see more than a handful of named & talented coaches managing the elite skater pool; I'm no mess seeker, but do want more competition than that. Dilemmas.