Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best coaches in the world in each discipline?

Custom Title
    I remember when Michelle fell on that jump in the 2002 Olympics (was it a lutz? I was so distressed I've never rewatched that program), and someone on this board said that if she had had a coach, he would have been able to keep track of minor deviations in her jumps and gotten her back on track during practices. Of course, these days a choreographer is especially crucial for packing all the points values into a program. Hmm. Behevia, you're right about mommy or daddy, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Which one is more important and critical to a skater? A choreograper or a coach?
    Coach - as Mishin has proved, an amazing skater like Plushenko can still win with Mishin-choreographed programs

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I remember when Michelle fell on that jump in the 2002 Olympics (was it a lutz? I was so distressed I've never rewatched that program), and someone on this board said that if she had had a coach, he would have been able to keep track of minor deviations in her jumps and gotten her back on track during practices. Of course, these days a choreographer is especially crucial for packing all the points values into a program. Hmm. Behevia, you're right about mommy or daddy, it seems.
    Flip

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    Ladies: Tammy Gambill
    Before Caroline went to Tammy, she had a mule kick to the moon. After only a few months with her, the mule kick was practically gone.
    Tammy enabled Caroline to win a bronze medal at 4CC's making Caroline the only US lady with multiple ISU Championship Medals.
    Clarification: Zhang worked with Kathy Casey in Colorado Springs in the spring/summer of 2011 and her flip technique improvements reportedly were noticeable from around that time. Zhang was only with Gambill for a few months that year, and was with Peter Oppegard/Karen Kwan-Oppegard by 2012 Nationals and Four Continents.

That said, Gambill is widely known for being an excellent technical coach for young skaters. She has helped Australia's Brendan Kerry (who switched to her last season) develop his triple axel, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Coach - as Mishin has proved, an amazing skater like Plushenko can still win with Mishin-choreographed programs
    Wich programs? Plushy's choreographers were David Avdish, Sergei Petukhov, Yuri Smekalov,Valeri Mikhailovsky. If I right remember, Mishin choreographed the very early programs.

Mishin, Fassi, Carroll, Tarasova

Moskvina, Ingo Stauer

Spilband, Zueva,

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Wich programs? Plushy's choreographers were David Avdish, Sergei Petukhov, Yuri Smekalov,Valeri Mikhailovsky. If I right remember, Mishin choreographed the very early programs.
    Mishin likes to make changes after the program is ready, there are videos on Youtube with Plushenko's programs at the beggining of the season, they are very different from what we see later in competitions. The same for Liza and Artur.

Ciocio, can you give me a YouTube-example? I am very curious to see what changes Mishin had made!

Willemijn, for example the Nijinsky program http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbjJufbHXpE beautiful program on TEB, Paris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3a61BJQp7o on Rus Nat and on the ECH and WCH

deleted

Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    Mishin likes to make changes after the program is ready, there are videos on Youtube with Plushenko's programs at the beggining of the season, they are very different from what we see later in competitions. The same for Liza and Artur.
    Oh, i understand,yes, you are right! For example in last year Plush's SP was made by Camerlengo, to Gary Moore "The prophet" music, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxB5m7kwpsobut Mishin didn't like it, plus Hanyu's SP was so similar and he was the first who performed it,thus they replaced it. The LP choreographer was Miyamoto to Romeo and Juliet soundrack, Mishin also didn't like it, and they replaced with Best of Saint-Saens program. Plushy had a program in 2011 "Jewis melody" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9gyjnsLeIw the choreographer was Zhulin, they replaced with Tango Roxanne program. Not to mention in 2010 his first LP's choregrapher was Dennis Petokhov, but...we all know what happened.

And maybe Plushy is one of the biggest star, he is doing, what Mishin talks to him..

part of Myamoto's interview:

"You choreographed the program for Plushenko, also. Maybe because of his injuries, he has not performed it yet.

I feel sorry, too. But it was fun. We, Plushenko, Mishin and I discussed a lot and created one. Same as Mishin, I’m a person who doesn’t give in. So we started argument easily. We negotiated constructively, “OK, I understand you want to do this. I accept it but take that instead.....”. When we became too heated, Plushenko came between, saying “easy, easy”. "

part of Camerlengo's interview:

Icenetwork.com: It's your first time working with Plushenko -- what are your overall impressions?

Camerlengo: It was awesome. He is very good. Of course, it is very different to work with him, because first of all, there is Mishin always there, right behind you. He will say, 'I want something like this, I want something like that, I wish he could go like this.' Even before you are doing something, he gives you direction of how he wants it. So it's a kind of a different procedure for me. Normally, I create [choreography] and then I show it, and then a coach may say, 'This part, I don't like.' With Mishin, it is before I even create something. It's, 'I want something here, then he turns, then he goes faster, and then he slows down.'

Custom Title
    plushyfan - the Prophet clip isn't working; Youtube says it doesn't exist...

Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    plushyfan - the Prophet clip isn't working; Youtube says it doesn't exist...
    I corrected it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Willemijn, for example the Nijinsky program http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbjJufbHXpE beautiful program on TEB, Paris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3a61BJQp7o on Rus Nat and on the ECH and WCH
    The Nijinsky program is probably not a good example; it was continuously watered down because Plushenko was injured and couldn't physically skate to its full capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    The Nijinsky program is probably not a good example; it was continuously watered down because Plushenko was injured and couldn't physically skate to its full capacity.
    I can't find the new version easier

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Which one is more important and critical to a skater? A choreograper or a coach?
    A good coach can help "fix" bad choreography. A good choreographer still can't make up for a bad coach. Additionally, most skaters spend a much, much greater amount of time with their actual coach.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast