Iced coffees. Yay or nay? | Golden Skate

Iced coffees. Yay or nay?

louisa05

Final Flight
My sister-in-law owns an independent coffeehouse. She makes the best iced coffee ever. She uses a cold press for it so it is not lukewarm like it is at most places where a hot drink is poured over ice. I like it with milk and a shot of vanilla. Best thing ever.

McDonald's iced mochas or lattes are not bad.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I like Dunkin Donuts ice coffee. I don't like any flavorings in my coffee, either hot or cold, other than coffee & half & half,

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I like Dunkin Donuts ice coffee. I don't like any flavorings in my coffee, either hot or cold, other than coffee & half & half,

I love Dunkin Donuts coffee; unfortunately there are not any Dunkin Donuts locations where I live; I usually try to find a Dunkin Donuts when I'm traveling to a place that has one.

I own a Nespresso pod espresso maker (http://www.nespresso-us.com/machines/citiz-and-milk/) and make my own coffee drinks. I usually like to brew two espresso shots with milk and a little chocolate syrup, does the trick every time.

Here's a lovely cold brew recipe (which louisa05 referenced) worth trying if you want to do it at home: http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/do-it-yourself/2011/08/how-to-make-cold-brew-coffee/ (how-to)
http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/do-it-yourself/2011/08/how-to-make-cold-brew-coffee/ (that's the recipe)

Johar

Medalist
I really liked how Mkcha BK Jo's tasted at Burger King a few years ago. Then they changed the formula.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Wendy's has 99-cent iced coffee in a few flavors. Medium or small (Wendy's medium is larger than Starbucks venti).
I don't know whether the iced coffee at Wendy's contains any of the sketchy ingredients used at McDonald's.
But Wendy's price is right. ;)

Johar

Medalist
I didn't know Wendy's has iced coffees! Is it nationwide?

Nutritional Info - Wendy's Vanilla Iced Coffee - Value
Calories - 60 (from Fat - 20)
Fat - 2.5g (Saturated Fat - 1.5g)
Sodium - 25mg
Carbs - 8g (Sugar - 7g)
Protein - 1g

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I didn't know Wendy's has iced coffees! Is it nationwide?

Nutritional Info - Wendy's Vanilla Iced Coffee - Value
Calories - 60 (from Fat - 20)
Fat - 2.5g (Saturated Fat - 1.5g)
Sodium - 25mg
Carbs - 8g (Sugar - 7g)
Protein - 1g

Given there's a whole website on it: http://www.wendysbreakfast.com/food/redhead-coffee.html, I think it's nationwide.

I like Wendy's a lot for a fast-food place. Sadly, my town lost BOTH our Wendy's locations last year due to some food safety issues from the franchisee. One is now a Carl's Jr. (which I don't like that much) and the other is a fast-food Mexican joint.

Too bad, Mrs. P. Wendy's is my favorite of the fast-food companies. It has that great baked potato, which makes a perfect meal all by itself with any of the toppings (and it's pretty healthful for a fast food dish), and its Caesar side salad is very tasty. (At least, this all was true last time I went in; I haven't had a chance to visit a Wendy's in awhile.)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Too bad, Mrs. P. Wendy's is my favorite of the fast-food companies. It has that great baked potato, which makes a perfect meal all by itself with any of the toppings (and it's pretty healthful for a fast food dish), and its Caesar side salad is very tasty. (At least, this all was true last time I went in; I haven't had a chance to visit a Wendy's in awhile.)

I love the baked potato! My favorite thing to do is have the baked potato and chili and dump the chili in the potato. Perfect dish for a rainy or cold day.

Also, as someone who writes for a living, I appreciate that you used healthful rather than healthy to describe the dish. :)

I love the baked potato! My favorite thing to do is have the baked potato and chili and dump the chili in the potato. Perfect dish for a rainy or cold day.

Also, as someone who writes for a living, I appreciate that you used healthful rather than healthy to describe the dish. :)

Thanks for noticing! I try to remember to use the word correctly.

Yes, a baked potato is one of the ultimate comfort foods. (And a source of vitamin C!)

heyang

Record Breaker
Not a coffee drinker myself, but I've heard that the problem with iced coffee (and tea) is that it's not typically brewed strong enough to stand up the melting ice. Considering that the cup is filled with about 66% ice, that's a lot of ice.

louisa05

Final Flight
Not a coffee drinker myself, but I've heard that the problem with iced coffee (and tea) is that it's not typically brewed strong enough to stand up the melting ice. Considering that the cup is filled with about 66% ice, that's a lot of ice.

That's why cold brewed coffee is better--doesn't need as much ice and the ice does not melt quickly.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't drink coffee but it's not surprising that McD's product is sketchy. Even their orange juice is scary. If you leave it sitting in the fridge the mixture sinks and the water (?) floats on top. YOU CANNOT REMIX IT. I don't know what is in it, but it's scary to think about. (And yet that stuff is addicting.)

You mean it's not just me that doesn't drink coffee, Toni? Yay! I'm not alone. Do you drink tea? It has its charms.

I've never had McDonald's orange juice. Every now and then I get the urge for something wicked and salty, and I get a small serving of fries. Even Tropicana from a carton sounds better than what you just described. (Actually, Tropicana from a carton is pretty good.)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I only drink minute maid orange juice. it's very close to what the juice at mcdonalds uses. and no, I don't drink tea. hate the stuff.