Gold vs. Kim | Golden Skate

Gold vs. Kim

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I see Grace as her sucessor if all goes well. Could a techie person compare their LPs this year in terms of content difficulty across all the elements, jumps, footwork, speed, choreo , spins etc. How did they compare when both were 17?

How I wish they had summer skating trials and all had to qualify for soschi moths ahead. Ladies event alone will be thrilling I hope. I cannot wait-!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Gracie doesn't have the soul and connection to the music that Yu-Na displayed at an even younger age.

Krislite

Medalist
In terms of accomplishments, she's way behind:

17 year old Yuna: two World medals, two GPF titles, three GP titles, etc.
17 year old Gracie: one GP medal, one silver at nats

What about artistry and musicality? Not close either. Just compare their performances: "Tango de Roxanne" and "the Lark Ascending" vs. "Hernando's Hideaway" and "Life is Beautiful".

The only terms they are comparable on is technical proficiency. Granted, Gracie may be the type of skater who matures musically and achieves greater competitive results at an older age, but right now there isn't much to go by to call her Yuna's "successor."

Selene

On the Ice
I think Gracie is more of a Miki Ando-type - a strong technician without an artistic bone in her body.

Gracie lost to Yuna by over 30 points at Worlds. She might as well have competed in a different event, because she's not in Yuna's league as a skater. She is far behind when it comes to skating skills, presentation, choreography, musicality, projection to the audience and consistency on her technical elements.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
I think Gracie is more of a Miki Ando-type - a strong technician without an artistic bone in her body.

This may turn out to be true, but I am still hoping that Gracie does develop her artistry to become the next great skater. She has a lot of potential and has the IT factor.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
I don't have the expertise to technically break down their jumps, but aside from not doing 3L and 3A Yuna appears to be in a league of her own. The height, massive ice coverage, ease and consistency of Yuna's jumps is amazing, and this is coming from someone who is not a fan of hers. Gracie's jumps are also impressive but her consistency so far has been her downfall. Her jumps also look more laborious as compared to Yuna. Jenny Kirk has mentioned several times that she jumps with her arms and I think that effects the aesthetics of the jump.

Gracie does trump Yuna in the layback spins (well most North American skaters do) and I like her spin positions better in general. However when it comes down to skating skills, musicality, artistry and performance quality, she's nowhere near Yuna.

Robeye

Final Flight

Gracie lost to Yuna by over 30 points at Worlds. She might as well have competed in a different event, because she's not in Yuna's league as a skater. She is far behind when it comes to skating skills, presentation, choreography, musicality, projection to the audience and consistency on her technical elements.
I would merely point out, though, that both Caro and Mao also lost to Yuna by a landslide, more than 20 points, so Gracie is in stellar company ;). The fact is, when Yuna skates like that, no one has managed to get within striking distance of her (yet). But no one suggests that they ought to be skating in different events (except Phil Hersh :laugh:).

On the other side of the ledger, Gracie is younger than Mao/Caro, and therefore, on that basis alone, has greater upside potential.

Even if, in the worst case scenario, all the apparent effort Gracie is putting into improving her presentation, musicality and artistry comes to naught, and in a couple of years time she really is seen as the inheritor of Miki's mantle (I made a funny :biggrin:) rather than Yuna's, we must try to remember that there are, in the larger scheme of things, far worse fates. I mean, Miki did win a couple of World titles, after all.

But allow me to cling to my hopes (or illusions, as the case may be) for a while longer, that Gracie will continue to slowly blossom over time, and, eventually, do her Korean idol proud.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
to be fair Gracie she just needs more experience and artistry
she already has the big jumps, speed and raw power in her skating

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Gold is already the top skater of her age group. This is proven by her repeated dominance over others of her generation. She does look like the one to beat in the 2015-2018 quad already (unless Yu Na stays on) and thus her likely successor as Queen of Figure Skating.

Country
Russia
Any female skater vs. YuNa - Yuna wins.

Yuna is so much better than any other Lady, that other has no chance.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gold is already the top skater of her age group. This is proven by her repeated dominance over others of her generation. She does look like the one to beat in the 2015-2018 quad already (unless Yu Na stays on) and thus her likely successor as Queen of Figure Skating.

Gracie hasn't really proven herself yet. She has yet to win a major competition (or even a Grand Prix qualifying event). Her jumps are very close to Yu Na's level--when she does them. Her artistry, though, is seriously lacking. But maybe it doesn't matter under IJS. It's heresy, I know, but I really don't think Yu Na is the most artistic skater. But she is miles ahead of Gracie at this point.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Question (non-snarky) about Gold:

Other than her continuing work with Zoueva/Epstein, has Team Gold offered any insight as to how she is going about working on her artistry?

I ask because Max Aaron and his team have shed bits of light here and there on his focus on artistic progress. In his TSL interview, he explained how he applies himself to mastering his choreo from Nichol. Christopher Dean tweeted about working with him. MA has said that he is taking classes in ballet and ballroom, even entered and won a ballroom competition, and is looking forward to more. Coach Tom Z just posted a little vid of one of MA's sessions with Camerlengo.

I'm aware that Team Gold has shared vids of her jump training; have they posted anything comparable that is indicative of her attention to artistic improvement?
Not expecting any video from Canton; I've read that Zoueva in general is secretive.
But I'm curious whether Team Gold has showed other ways in which GG is placing importance on her artistry.

Vicky458

On the Ice
i see grace as her sucessor if all goes well. Could a techie person compare their lps this year in terms of content difficulty across all the elements, jumps, footwork, speed, choreo , spins etc. How did they compare when both were 17?

seriously?????

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Gracie hasn't really proven herself yet. She has yet to win a major competition (or even a Grand Prix qualifying event). Her jumps are very close to Yu Na's level--when she does them. Her artistry, though, is seriously lacking. But maybe it doesn't matter under IJS. It's heresy, I know, but I really don't think Yu Na is the most artistic skater. But she is miles ahead of Gracie at this point.

She isnt going to win a major event until Kim, Asada, and Kostner retire. On reputation (along with current ability) those are out of reach for her. Which will probably be after next season, atleast for Asada and Kostner. That doesnt mean she isnt likely the skater to beat and with a good shot to win alot of major titles from 2015-2018. She will be competing against people like Sotnikova, Osmond, Li, who she is already beating consistently.

She doesnt neccessarily have to be as good as Kim to win major titles. The field of the last 8 years is probably the toughest and strongest ever with the all time best female skater Kim, one of the all time best Asada, and other great skaters like Ando, Kostner, Rochette, and others. Gold's competition while decent is probably going to be nowhere near that.

It is also not fair to compare Gold who is nowhere near her potential to Kim who is already a virtually finished product. Gold could have alot of improvement left and given her talent and youth really should. Granted Kim at the same age even was already a better skater, but as I said the level of skating required to be on top next quad is not likely to be the same as it was the past 2.