1st 2Axel by a Lady | Golden Skate

1st 2Axel by a Lady

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I don't know where it's gone, but I remember that a few months back there was a thread here discussing jump records. Which lady landed the 1st 2Axel was discussed, with many posters speculating that it could have been Carol Heiss.

Well, looking foward to Budapest, I was reviewing programs from past Euros and I found this exerpt from the Laussane program:
Although several female skaters claim to have performed the first double axel, one thing is certain: at the Oslo Olympic Games, American Tenley Albright was definately the only one to perform the move.

I just though that you guys would find this tid bit interesting. :)

NCSk8Fan

Match Penalty
The Double Axel

I have read through a web search that gave a list of "firsts" that the first double axels performed were by Dick Button (1948 Olympics) and Carol Heiss (in the 1950's). I also read that the first triple lutzes were by Donald Jackson (1962) and Denise Biellman (1978). The first triple salcow by a lady was Petra Burke (Canada) in 1962, the first double salcow was by Cecelia Colledge (British) in the 1930's, and that she claims to be the first person to do a layback spin. Dick Button was said to be the first man to do a camel spin, and also the first person to do a flying camel spin (I heard Peggy Fleming say that on ABC once). I have used a Google search to find this out, and maybe this will help answer some questions. Thank you!!!!

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
moves

Cecilia Cooledge invented the layback and camel spins. Dick Button invented flying spins.

Cecilia Cooledge invented the layback to try to beat Sonja Henie. She worked with a circus choreographer!

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Giles Graftstrom invented the flying sit spin, which I believe was the first flying spin. He also invented the first change foot spin combo, a sit/sit. I've also read that he was the first to do spirals and camel spins.

I've read that Dick did the first flying camel, but neither the first camel nor the first flying spin.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
According to Donald Jacksons list the first double axel done by a lady was Carol Heiss in 1953. Barbara Ann Scott landed the first double Lutz in 1942. Petra Burka (of Canada) did the first triple jump by a lady in 1962 - a triple Salchow.

Vern Taylor (Canadian champion) was the first man to land the triple axel in 1978. Of course, the great Donald Jackson landed the first triple Lutz in 1962.

Kurt did the first quad (Toe Loop) - 1988 and Elvis did the first quad/double (Toe Loop) in 1991.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Just adding a little as concerns first...

Charlotte Oelschlagel, along w/her husband, was the first to perform (& invent) the back inside death spiral. Also, she invented the Charlotte Spiral & Stop.

By the way, does anyone know who might have a Charlotte doll? I've looked & searched for one for quite some time now..........many years..........and have been unable to acquire one. I'm beginning to think it was only a myth. :)^( They were produced around the time she was a big star at the Hippodrome Theatre in NYC around 1915-1921. Thanks in advance.

Peace & Love, Nadine

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3632169/1074879478313_0000charlotte.jpg

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I find these lists interesting, especially the contradictions.

The Lausanne program is interesting because it has a lot of tid bits that I never heard before. For example:

It lists Vern Taylor as performing a triple axel in 1978, but it also says that in 1960 David Jenkins performs the 1st triple axel at the gala performence at worlds. :eek: Does that mean that Taylors was the first in competition ?

It also mentions Kurt's quad, but that Joe Sebovchek landed one 2 years earlier but it was disputed as to wheather he brushed the ice with his free foot or not.

miki_tan

Rinkside
Ladskater said:
According to Donald Jacksons list the first double axel done by a lady was Carol Heiss in 1953.
Oslo Olympic Games that Tenley Albright supposed to land
double Axel in berthes ghost's first post was held in 1952.

These jump first lists is great but imcomplete and has some flaw.

http://www.theskateblade.com/reference/firsts.htm
This list claims first triple jump by ladies was Jana Mrazkova CZE, 1959.