2016 U.S. Nationals | Golden Skate

2016 U.S. Nationals

macy

Record Breaker
I thought I saw somewhere (icenetwork maybe?) that 2016 was going to be held in st. paul again? does anyone know?

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yes, St. Paul it is in 2016. USFS selected Saint Paul as the host city for the 2016 U.S. Figure Skating Championships on Jan. 16-24, 2016 at Xcel Energy Center. I don't think any info is out about tickets.

Greensboro NC will host in 2015 - January 17-25 2015.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Why does USFSA keep selecting the same cities over and over?

bibi24

Final Flight
is this an American website where "Nationals" is automatically assumed as US?

edit: man you americans are so self-centered doing thread titles with missing info

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States

I don't know why US Figure Skating does this either. Some of it depends on which cities bid, of course. A few years ago Kansas City bid twice and got to the final group and then was passed over for cities that had previously hosted. I don't think Kansas City has bid since.

lcd

Match Penalty

Haha, that was my first question/thought as well.

It probably DOES help when an organizing committee has had prior experience, both in terms of bidding and delivering. But still, ... the repeat cities are occurring within "a generation" for some of the skaters, such that they are having repeat experiences within their own careers, not like, over the course of a decade or longer.

Doesn't say much about the confidence of USFS on the ability of different markets to support or pull off an event like Nationals.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I wish they'd come back to Atlanta. :( Last time they were here was in 2004 when Michelle tore the roof of the Phillips Arena...and I wasn't even there! I don't think any of the events (ice shows or competitions) come to the south anymore. Sad really...

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I wish they'd come back to Atlanta. :( Last time they were here was in 2004 when Michelle tore the roof of the Phillips Arena...and I wasn't even there! I don't think any of the events (ice shows or competitions) come to the south anymore. Sad really...

Awww...Michelle was awesome!! I think one very nice thing about Atlanta was there was a hotel and food court attached which was wonderful for running out and grabbing a bite to eat and not missing much of practice. The really bad part was that while the nearby convention center was supposed to host junior events and practice that was changed to a facility in Gwinnet County...about 25 miles away. I only went out to watch 1 ladies practice and it took FOREVER on the shuttle to get back into Atlanta. I recall I was late getting to the competition (maybe pairs) because it took about 1 hour to go 25 miles on the freeway. The other bad thing was attendance wasn't very good.

I'd be happy to return (not that USFSA cares about that :laugh:).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The food court was awesome, and the food vendors that were on the mezzanine, just behind where we were sitting, were excellent too. I have fond memories of shrimp po'boys!

lcd

Match Penalty
The St. Paul arena was linked to several hotels by a "gerbil trail" like set of building connecting paths, which were about a floor above street level. A lot like sibling city Minneapolis. This made for plenty of people getting lost but also the chance to 'bump' into (literally) skaters as they made their way back and forth between the hotel and arena.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I loved the St. Paul venue for nationals last time! Would definitely go back if I could afford it!

macy

Record Breaker
The St. Paul arena was linked to several hotels by a "gerbil trail" like set of building connecting paths, which were about a floor above street level. A lot like sibling city Minneapolis. This made for plenty of people getting lost but also the chance to 'bump' into (literally) skaters as they made their way back and forth between the hotel and arena.

if i remember correctly this was how cleveland was in 2009 as well, although i don't know if there were any hotels connected but there was a mall and i do remember seeing rachael flatt and a few other skaters headed into the arena. pretty cool!