List of participants JGP II Mexico 2013 | Golden Skate

List of participants JGP II Mexico 2013

Country
Russia
About Russian Ladies:

Natalia OGORELTSEVA - see http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...les-and-events&p=715724&viewfull=1#post715724
Season 2012/2013 - 13th at Senior Nationals, 2nd at Nats Younger Age(Zhuk), 3rd at Nats Elder Age.
Has exotic combo 3Lo+3Lo.
Her main problem is unstability.

Julia LI - the only Lady in Team Russia without 3+3 combo. But her 2A+3T and 2A+1Lo+3S give her 7 triples in FS and 57.11 Base Value.
Born 12 Jun 1999.

And Men:

Alexei GENIA - born 17 Sep 1999, 14th at SrNats, 9th at JrNats, 1st at Final of Russian Cup (Junior), best score 205.08 (Junior). All five triples, 3Lz+3T.

Andrei LAZUKIN - born 19 Now 1997, 13th at SrNats, 8th at JrNats, 3rd at Nats Elder Age, best score 199.24 (Junior). All five triples, 3Lz+3T.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Another great event for the girls: this year it will be USA vs Russia all over the place I think (with maybe some Hae-Jin "infiltration")! I'm sad that Ogoreltseva can't try her 3Lo+3Lo in the SP, and I hope that Li has learned a 3-3, even an "easy" 3T+3T would be fine, as long as she skates a clean 7-triples FS with 2A+3T and 2A+3S... I really like both of them! But I think that Polina is the favourite for Gold at this event: if there is a generous technical panel she shouldn't have problems, but if there is a strict panel that marks her 3-3s as < and << (like Nationals for example), she could be in trouble... No "veterans" in Ice Dance, I really like Edwards/Pang so I would love to see them on the podium, hopefully with a gold medal! Our Italian couple (Sforza/Fioretti) is a good-level team, too, they can hope for a 4th place finish, even for the podium if some of the American or Russian couples doesn't skate well...
(But, I remember that during the last seasons we didn't have the chance to know the JGP entries this early...something changed!)

Country
Russia
Edmunds will obliterate the ladies here
May be. But no warranty.

Base value of SP+FS Polina Edmunds at Nationals (Junior) 82.15.
The same of Julia Li Nationals Elder Age 85.74.

It will be interesting Event with no predicted leader.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Does Julia Li's base contain the technical bonus that they used to give at Russian nationals? If so it should be subtracted before comparing to Edmunds' base.

I agree it will be an interesting matchup! :love:

NMURA

Medalist
Past three years, no Russian lady has won medals at JGP outside of Europe. Even the Russian fed knows that and sending second tier skaters here. My prediction is two Americans and Hongo or KOR on the podium. The loop is the weakest jump for Hongo and Japanese skaters are not doing well in Mexico.

Since 2004, the only Russian lady who won a medal outside of Europe is Makarova, a Russian skater in USA.

2012(USA) JPN USA USA
2011(AUS) USA JPN USA
2010(JPN) JPN USA CHN
2009(USA) USA RUS SWE
2008(RSA) USA CAN USA
2008(MEX) USA USA KOR
2007(USA) USA USA USA
2006(TPE) USA JPN KOR
2006(MEX) USA ESP KOR
2005(JPN) JPN USA CHN
2005(CAN) JPN USA FRA
2004(CHN) JPN KOR CAN
2004(USA) JPN USA USA

And since 2009, the winner of the 3rd JGP won everything in the season. This pattern might hold up in this season too.

NMURA

Medalist
Julia Lee...I've never seen this girl.

One thing sure is that Mexico is a turf of USA. Russians should expect facing some rough deals. That's why they are sending "expendable" skaters.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No "veterans" in Ice Dance, I really like Edwards/Pang so I would love to see them on the podium, hopefully with a gold medal! Our Italian couple (Sforza/Fioretti) is a good-level team, too, they can hope for a 4th place finish, even for the podium if some of the American or Russian couples doesn't skate well...
(But, I remember that during the last seasons we didn't have the chance to know the JGP entries this early...something changed!)

Don't overlook Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER. They were 7th at 2013 JW, while EDWARDS / PANG were 12th and SFORZA / FIORETTI 13th. H/B had the highest Junior SD and FD scores at the Lake Placid Dance competition last week, and beat E/P by 8 points. I do think these 3 teams all have a good shot to make the podium---the Russian teams aren't that strong.

BTW, the JGP entries for each event are released about 4 weeks before each event, just as they have been every year. We should have the entries for the third event in Kosice SVK early next week.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

One thing sure is that Mexico is a turf of USA. Russians should expect facing some rough deals. That's why they are sending "expendable" skaters.

You don't think NA teams get 'rough deals' at events in former SSRs? Usually the judging panels at those events (especially the dance panels) have 3 or even 4 judges from former SSRs. The maximum number of NA judges is 3; MEX judges don't necessarily support US and CAN skaters, and I don't think I've ever seen a panel with 3 NA judges.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Heck, I haven't seen much evidence that Canada judges favor US skaters and vice versa. If NA is a bloc, it is a remarkably ineffective one. There is more proof of a Canada / France bloc ;)

Finnstep

Final Flight
The list for JGP Mexico has also been updated:

Da-Bin Choi for Korean Ladies/June-Hyeong Lee for Korean Men.

I don't know if Korea had a slot for ice dance for JGP Mexico, but since(from what I've been hearing so far) Ji-Won Kim/Jae-Woong Oh won't be competing @ JGP this year, I think Kim/Minov would be free to choose a JGP competition that is close to Russia as possible.

I can see them going to Belarus if Korea did have a slot for ice dance there.

Country
Russia
The list for JGP Mexico has also been updated:

Da-Bin Choi for Korean Ladies/June-Hyeong Lee for Korean Men.
It is because Korean qualifiers for JGP finished and Korea made its team.
I don't know if Korea had a slot for ice dance for JGP Mexico, but since(from what I've been hearing so far) Ji-Won Kim/Jae-Woong Oh won't be competing @ JGP this year, I think Kim/Minov would be free to choose a JGP competition that is close to Russia as possible.
Korea has ice dance slot at 2,3,5,6,7 JGP Events.
It did not use its slot at 2nd Mexico Event.
The only participants in qualifying were Rebeka Kim/Kirill Minov. Korea needs only two slots.

Country
Russia
Does Julia Li's base contain the technical bonus that they used to give at Russian nationals? If so it should be subtracted before comparing to Edmunds' base.
No bonus in BV. Bonus is added to TES.

SP BV
1 3Lz+2T 7.30
2 3F 5.30
3 FCSp4 3.20
4 CCoSp4 3.50
5 2A 3.63 x
6 StSq3 3.30
7 LSp3 2.40
Total 28.63

FS BV
1 3Lz+2T 7.30
2 2A+3T 7.40
3 2A+1Lo+3S 8.00
4 3F 5.30
5 3S 4.20
6 CCoSp4 3.50
7 3Lz 6.60 x
8 3Lo 5.61 x
9 FCSp4 3.20
10 StSq3 3.30
11 LSp4 2.70
Total 57.11

It is from Nationals Elder age, but content is typical for Julia Li past season, slightly differs at different competitions.

And past season she was good at early September, 1st place of OpenMoscow (4-7 Sep 2012), ahead Pogorilaya who was 2nd, Julia's score was 0.15 points higher (after that Pogorilaya won her at Senior and Junior Nationals with much higher advantage, more than 13 points at JrNats).
Julia Li may be in good state at the beginning of season.

Of course, Polina may be much better than at Nationals, where she had URs.

I agree it will be an interesting matchup! :love:
Oh yes.
Good luck for all the girls, fair judging, and let the strongest win!

You have chance to see
SP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_XjmnVJ2r4
FS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqzFWG16sGg

Nice girl, is'nt she?

Country
Russia
Past three years, no Russian lady has won medals at JGP outside of Europe. Even the Russian fed knows that and sending second tier skaters here. My prediction is two Americans and Hongo or KOR on the podium. The loop is the weakest jump for Hongo and Japanese skaters are not doing well in Mexico.

Since 2004, the only Russian lady who won a medal outside of Europe is Makarova, a Russian skater in USA.
2012(USA) JPN USA USA Gerasimova 4th.
2011(AUS) USA JPN USA Korobeynikova 4th Deeva 10th
2010(JPN) JPN USA CHN Gosviani 7th
2009(USA) USA RUS SWE and Sheveleva 6th
2008(RSA) USA CAN USA Evgenia POCHUFAROVA 11th
2008(MEX) USA USA KOR no russians
2007(USA) USA USA USA no russians
2006(TPE) USA JPN KOR Ksenia DORONINA 6th
2006(MEX) USA ESP KOR no russians
2005(JPN) JPN USA CHN Lilia BIKTAGIROVA 10th Ksenia DORONINA 13th
2005(CAN) JPN USA FRA Ekaterina LOBANOVA 8th
2004(CHN) JPN KOR CAN Olga NAIDENOVA 4th
2004(USA) JPN USA USA Ekaterina LOBANOVA 13th

Only Gerasimova and Korobeynikova (and of course Makarova) were hi-level.

Now Russian Ladies team for JGP is strong as never before.
We will see.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
AlexRus said:
Of course, Polina may be much better than at Nationals, where she had URs.
I did not hear whether she was called for URs at Glacier Falls summer competition (except possibly the fall on the 3f)
Unfortunately, no detailed results have been posted. In any case, she seemed in very good shape there. Mexico City is at altitude; she may not have as easy a time there, though.

Here's what Sylvia tweeted about her LP

Peer Gynt Suite MT @umbsgoblue: P. Edmunds: 3z/3t nice, 3f - 1/2 Lo - 3s, 2a, 3f (fall), 3z, 3l/2t, 2a. Program is nice vehicle for her.

Her total segment TES was 62.60

https://twitter.com/umbsgoblue/status/363894250657681409/photo/1

Country
Russia
I did not hear whether she was called for URs at Glacier Falls summer competition (except possibly the fall on the 3f)
Unfortunately, no detailed results have been posted. In any case, she seemed in very good shape there. Mexico City is at altitude; she may not have as easy a time there, though.

Here's what Sylvia tweeted about her LP
P. Edmunds: 3z/3t nice, 3f - 1/2 Lo - 3s, 2a, 3f (fall), 3z, 3l/2t, 2a.

Her total segment TES was 62.60

https://twitter.com/umbsgoblue/status/363894250657681409/photo/1
Yes, I know.

Very serious content - Radionova's level.

Mexico City is at altitude 2240 meters, plus smog.
It makes conditions very hard, and results are absolutely unpredictable.
Leaders may skate worse, some moderate level skaters better than leaders.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
No.

OK, Julia Li is korean.

:biggrin:, she might break the North American curse for Russians
since JUlia is a Rusian-Korean, not that it counts she is a bit inconsistent

I wuldnt be surprised if 1-2 will be Americans
3rd Japanese or Korean