Senior Ladies FS 2013-2014 Base Value | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Senior Ladies FS 2013-2014 Base Value

hanca

Record Breaker
It's hard to know. For one thing, one of the goals of the SkAm pick is that she should not be able to beat Ashley Wagner/current US champion...that seems to have been the thinking behind SkAm picks in the past.

If Ashley was so easily beatable, then she wouldn't deserve to be at world team. And if she isn't so easily beatable, they don't have to worry about who they put with her to SkAm.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It's hard to know. For one thing, one of the goals of the SkAm pick is that she should not be able to beat Ashley Wagner/current US champion...that seems to have been the thinking behind SkAm picks in the past.

This is true, but I think Courtney will be held back by international judging panels simply because she is not a recognized skater. (At least, held back enough not to beat Ashley). I would be disappointed if Alissa were picked over Courtney, because if she was it would be for the reason you stated.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Yes, I know.
Very good, especially for Lady who had no 3+3 combo past season.

I just wrote some info about "a young Russian lady".

Btw, "A young American lady won Olympics at 15" - is it polite? Tara Lipinski deserves to be named. As all the other skaters, who work hard, have injuries, risk their health to make us enjoy their nice and strong skating.

I really didn't want to be rude or something, there are so many talented Russian youngsters who are just now eligible for JGP, I can't remember all their names but I did remember there was one particularly lady who did a great 3Loop-3Loop. I will remember her name now, thanks for the clarification. I really appreciate all the information you are providing us about the Russian skaters.
Samantha's attempt looked great to me. So did Caroline's from nationals.
I remember someone said it's almost impossible to fully rotate the 3Loop as the second jump, which is probably why we almost never see this combo nowadays.

Krislite

Medalist
Base value is not a true measure of difficulty. Yuna could actually make her layout both easier and with higher BV by substituting a 2A/3T for her 3Lz/3T and repeating the Flip instead of the Salchow. Here's a layout with no triple-triple that's nearly 2 points higher in BV:

3Lz/2T
3F
3S
*3Lz
*2A/3T/2L
*3F/2T
*2A

Again, no triple-triple, no adding the 3Loop, but still higher BV. This is the quirk of CoP. Interestingly enough, Yuna is not taking the full advantage that CoP engineering affords her, but I think it's because her team is smart enough to design a program that actually maximizes her point in reality, instead of on paper. In reality, TES, GOE and PCS are not independent. Several "wow" elements such as 3Lz/3T, solo 3F and solo 3Lz, together with other clean jumping passes, will ensure her the highest GOE and PCS. Sure she could earn more points on paper with a "smarter" layout, but BV is only a small part of the overall picture.

Ruffles78

On the Ice
Base value is not a true measure of difficulty. Yuna could actually make her layout both easier and with higher BV by substituting a 2A/3T for her 3Lz/3T and repeating the Flip instead of the Salchow. Here's a layout with no triple-triple that's nearly 2 points higher in BV:

3Lz/2T
3F
3S
*3Lz
*2A/3T/2L
*3F/2T
*2A

Again, no triple-triple, no adding the 3Loop, but still higher BV. This is the quirk of CoP. Interestingly enough, Yuna is not taking the full advantage that CoP engineering affords her, but I think it's because her team is smart enough to design a program that actually maximizes her point in reality, instead of on paper. In reality, TES, GOE and PCS are not independent. Several "wow" elements such as 3Lz/3T, solo 3F and solo 3Lz, together with other clean jumping passes, will ensure her the highest GOE and PCS. Sure she could earn more points on paper with a "smarter" layout, but BV is only a small part of the overall picture.

Yuna doesn't repeat the flip because it's been a problem jump for her in the past.

Moment

Final Flight
She doesn't have problem with the jump anymore. She has said that she feels more comfortable with her flip than she ever did.

I don't think she's planning to repeat the flip though. For 1.21 points (in the second half) of BV increase, she probably doesn't think it's worth trying.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
This is the updated ranking:
1) Mao Asada: 68.65 (I considered the layout she used at 2013 Worlds and WTT because she has already said that her layout will be almost the same)
2) Courtney Hicks: 62.83 (2013 Glacier Falls with the 3F+3T at the beginning)
3) Gracie Gold: 62.11 (2013 Skate Milwaukee with the 2A+3T in the second half)
4) Elizaveta Tuktamysheva: 61.61 (she never usually changes her layout, I considered the 2A+3T in the second half as she did last season; I considered a level3 LSp)
5) Zijun Li: 61.20
6) Akiko Suzuki: 60.85 (I considered the one she attempted at her summer competition, but she could add a second loop instead of the salchow)
7) Ashley Wagner: 60.03 (she moved the 3Lz to the second half and added the 3Lo+2A last season and I think that she'll keep these layout b/c they worked well)
8) Anna Pogorilaya: 60.02 (as suggested by AlexRus, adding the 2 points of the ChSq to her Junior Worlds BV, but she could change her layout for her Senior debut)
9) Alena Leonova: 59.35 (she almost never changed her layout during these last years except for the spins, so I thought that I could already consider it)
10) Kiira Korpi: 58.91 (I considered her injury-free layout, with lutz and flip)
11) Mirai Nagasu: 58.71 (2013 Glacier Falls)
12) Yu-Na Kim: 58.22 (last year's layout, that won't probably change, with a level 3 LSp)
13) Kaetlyn Osmons: 57.05 (I considered the 3F+2T in the first half as last season)

Country
Russia
Satoko Miyahara had BV 56.87 at JGP Lake Placid 2012, it means 58.87 for Senior program.
In fact she had BV 58.54 at Asian Open Trophy 2013, where she skated as Senior (a bit less than calculated because 2A was at 1st half of program).
One URed jump (3Lz) both competitions. Without UR she could have more.

JGP Event 2012 http://www.isuresults.com/results/jgpusa2012/jgpusa2012_JuniorLadies_FS_Scores.pdf
Asian Open 2013 http://www.fsatresults.com/AOFST2013/results/Scores/SeniorLadies_FS_Scores.pdf

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
These BVs are the maximum BVs, attained only when all elements are credited. Actual BVs are more likely to be lower when executed with possible calls of UR, wrong edges, and pops etc.

As listed, Mao's technical content is way ahead of the whole pack. She would be hard to catch if she performs all her elements reasonably well. The rest vary within a 4 point range so the ranking will be decided by actual credited executions, GOEs, and, most importantly, PCS.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Tuk is going for the Biellmann again so I think she'll do a level four layback
That messy Biellman won't bring her a level 4 for sure! She simply doesn't have the required flexibility... She should just keep a LSp3 and focus on receiving high GOE, just like Yu-Na

mary01

Final Flight
That messy Biellman won't bring her a level 4 for sure! She simply doesn't have the required flexibility... She should just keep a LSp3 and focus on receiving high GOE, just like Yu-Na

Is there any recent clip were Tukt is doing a biellman spin, I would love to see it?

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Why is Carolina Kostner not on the list?

If we assume that her jump layout will be the same as 2013 WC for the upcoming season, her BV would be:

50.75 (2013 WC BV) + 4.62 (3S x) + 5.61 (3Lo x) - 0.55 (1Lo x) - 1.43 (3S<< x) = 59.00

She would be tenth under this list.

Country
Russia
Because she usually changes her layout every season, and we don't know anything about what she'll do next season...
And Kostner's BV is affected by URs and less rotations of jumps.
Her highest real BV in season (Worlds) was only 50.75.
Her high total scores are because high GOE and high PCS, with moderate BV.

Krislite

Medalist

Speaking of which, a much more interesting statistic would be to see the ratio of Actual BV to Planned BV, and the ratio of TES to BV. These two would be a good measure of consistency and quality.

hanca

Record Breaker

Same as Yu-Na Kim. I wish they increased their difficulty a bit, both of them.

Is anyone else worried about that young Russian girl who does the 3-loop-3-loop? This is how Tara crippled herself at an early age. Sometimes I think I should transfer my fannish devotion to curling or archery.

hanca

Record Breaker
Is anyone else worried about that young Russian girl who does the 3-loop-3-loop? This is how Tara crippled herself at an early age. Sometimes I think I should transfer my fannish devotion to curling or archery.

Not really worried. you can cripple yourself on any jump if you over do it. Unfortunately, injuries are part of this sport. Look at for example Czisny. Labral tear in her hip and she didn't even do the 3-loop-3-loop.