Spectacular ladies triple Lutz | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Spectacular ladies triple Lutz

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Jayzus...I'm sure there are good high school physics texts at the local library. Read them. Start with the parts dealing with parabolic trajectories and simple ballistics (bullets rotate, too, in case you didn't know, although on a slightly different axis).

Haha, I forgot about Yuna Kim's fans who are rocket scientists who made special youtube videos to show parabolic trajectories and educate others on bullets rotation.

Krislite

Medalist
It means what?
Tonya's first 2 revolution are near the peak means she has more hang time than all of them.

It means it's delayed more so than Tonya's. Hang time and delay are two different things. It's perfectly possible for Yuna to have more delay but less hang-time, provided she rotates more quickly.

Krislite

Medalist
Haha, I forgot about Yuna Kim's fans who are rocket scientists who made special youtube videos to show parabolic trajectories and educate others on bullets rotation.

Darling, we Yuna fans are PhD's in physics. Don't mess with us. ;)

Macassar88

Medalist
Well picking in with your dominant foot gives a lot of height, and what makes lutzes generally bigger than flips is that you're on your outside edge (hopefully) and that gives you more stability. That's why a lot of men lip.

macy

Record Breaker
many people think that technique on a lutz is about how far back you pick and that's where most of the power comes from, but really keeping a close pick, shoulders and hips level and square, and snappy hips is what gets you the height. this is what yuna is good at, she keeps everything tight. here's an example, the far back pick is one problem alissa had on her lutz... take a look here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLVnCwvTsvc in the first video her shoulders and hips are open and her pick is way, way far back causing her to have more of a wrap in the air. because of her shoulders and hips being open, she fell and was short of rotation.

here yuna talks in detail about her lutz-toe technique http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNPo-rlPZrc

chloepoco

Medalist
I don't know who had/has the best lutz technically, but if you're saying spectacular from an audience viewpoint, my vote goes to Midori Ito!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Yuna also majorly telegraphs into her triple lutz(-triple toe)

What is wrong with telegraphing? I happen to like those lutzes the most

Of the top tier skaters (i.e. world medalists)

1. Tonya = Midori. I just love their explosive lutzes.
2. Yuna = Carolina. Carolina has better flow out, Yuna has better transitions in. Both lutzes are big, and cover a large distance. Both regularly get +2 and +3 for a reason.
3. Miki = Shizuka, -1 GOE below Yuna and Carolina. These two are next in line for best lutz. I prefer Shiz's lutz to Miki's, but Miki's lutz is textbook, there is nothing wrong with it, and she does it so well, it's like any old double jump. Shizuka is more inconsistent, but her flow out of her lutz is one of the best.

The others like Baiul, Chen, their lutzes were nice, but Baiul always double footed, and no flow out, Chen underrotated her lutzes a lot. I think theirs are just passable. They aren't very remarkable to me. Most of the time, I would give 0 or -1 to their lutzes.

Group 1 would get +3
Group 2 would get +2 and +3
Group 3 would get +2

Krislite

Medalist
I don't know who had/has the best lutz technically, but if you're saying spectacular from an audience viewpoint, my vote goes to Midori Ito!

Midori Ito is my next one on the list to add to the video. I think I may add Carolina's too. It'll be like a present vs. past great Lutzes.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Looking at the video, I'd say Tonya has a better landing position and edge. Yuna's free leg is still completely wrapped when she lands, whereas Tonya has already started opening up. Not to take anything away from Yuna, because she does have one of the best lutz's ever, but to me no one had better run out on the jump than Tonya because she fully rotated the jump in the air AND begun her landing position before hitting the ice.

Much agreed! Yuna has a beautiful lutz, her technique is textbook, graceful takeoff. Tonya's is a monster though, great height, judging by the video though she rotates faster than Yuna imo. Beautifully done by both!

Krislite

Medalist
Looking at the video, I'd say Tonya has a better landing position and edge. Yuna's free leg is still completely wrapped when she lands, whereas Tonya has already started opening up. Not to take anything away from Yuna, because she does have one of the best lutz's ever, but to me no one had better run out on the jump than Tonya because she fully rotated the jump in the air AND begun her landing position before hitting the ice.

Indeed. Tonya gets her rotations in very quickly. She's already done with two revolutions at the peak, giving her plenty of time on the way down to unwrap her legs. Yuna's delayed technique is just fine, though, since she manages to rotate fully and land with a flowing edge--good enough for a second triple at the end of it! :)

Such a sad thing what became of Tonya. Wasted talent...

Krislite

Medalist
What is wrong with telegraphing? I happen to like those lutzes the most

Of the top tier skaters (i.e. world medalists)

1. Tonya = Midori. I just love their explosive lutzes.
2. Yuna = Carolina. Carolina has better flow out, Yuna has better transitions in. Both lutzes are big, and cover a large distance. Both regularly get +2 and +3 for a reason.
3. Miki = Shizuka, -1 GOE below Yuna and Carolina. These two are next in line for best lutz. I prefer Shiz's lutz to Miki's, but Miki's lutz is textbook, there is nothing wrong with it, and she does it so well, it's like any old double jump. Shizuka is more inconsistent, but her flow out of her lutz is one of the best.

The others like Baiul, Chen, their lutzes were nice, but Baiul always double footed, and no flow out, Chen underrotated her lutzes a lot. I think theirs are just passable. They aren't very remarkable to me. Most of the time, I would give 0 or -1 to their lutzes.

Group 1 would get +3
Group 2 would get +2 and +3
Group 3 would get +2

Not sure I'd give Ito a +3. It's very high, explosive and fully rotated, but she does have a mild Flutz (see this slow-mo http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CgIvUjCrlgY&t=333 with Dick Button complimenting the height) and she does have that leg wrap.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
All Yuna's fans perpetuated this theory that Midori is a flutzer, and a well known at it.
One time, one of them even said Carolina occasionally flutzes.

And then they bring out slow mo to slow flutzing and underrotation. So hopeless.

Krislite

Medalist
All Yuna's fans perpetuated this theory that Midori is a flutzer, and a well known at it.

And then they bring out slow mo to slow flutzing and underrotation. So hopeless.

If you insist FlattFan...yes, Midori's Flutz is indeed a Yuna fan conspiracy. Pure, utter lunacy. And that video operator who paused during her outside edge take-off was a Yuna fan even before Yuna was born. Happy now?

bebevia

On the Ice

If I remember, my first encounter of the Ito-flutz comment was from obvious non-Yuna fans, and in more than just one community; Carolina as well, whether it be agreeable or not.

Come on. I love Ito, but you even mentioned she was one of the most artistic skaters ever by saying that her artistry was BETTER THAN ANY CURRENT GIRL out there on ice, and that comparing Gold to her is offensive to Ito! That's pushing a lot even for Ito fans, and you're not even primarily her hardcore fan :(