The Legalese of Waivers | Golden Skate

The Legalese of Waivers

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
So for dad's Bday gift and Christmas... and father's day next year lol I got him an "exotic driving experience" for our trip to Florida in October. Nothing overly extravagant, just gets to drive a Porsche around a racetrack for six laps. But he's over the moon excited for it.

But they sent the waiver he has to fill out, sign, and hand to them when he goes for his drive. I read it and I know it's just legalese to cover the company's own butt should something happen... but the way they have everything written out all of the dangers are in bold caps and a larger font than the rest of the document. It's SCARY! :laugh:

I personally think it's a bit of overkill to make it THAT much bigger to remind people that this does have danger and you might die. Especially when they repeat it for six pages!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's part of the great scary part of the experience. We did that for my son once; he loved it but it reminded him to be sure he had enough life insurance ;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It's part of the great scary part of the experience. We did that for my son once; he loved it but it reminded him to be sure he had enough life insurance ;)

I guess. And Dad wants us to go and watch and video it... which means I get to listen to mom FREAK OUT... At least he has an instructor with him the whole time, but dang...

Eeek! I know what you mean about finding that stuff scary. I had to have a medical procedure, and the stuff they mentioned in the release I was to sign...I almost walked out. Though it's easier to sign for myself than when I used to have to sign for my Mom. If she ever had to spend the night in the hospital, they would take me aside and ask me if I wanted her resuscitated...I knew she didn't want extraordinary measures, but actually saying something explicitly to that effect made me realize that I held another person's life in my hands, and it shook me to the fundaments every time.

The thing to remember, though, is that the purpose of these "waivers of responsibility" is to discourage people from suing if something goes wrong. No matter what you sign or don't sign, legal responsibility is determined by law, not by agreement between the parties. You cannot sign away your legal rights (including the right to sue) even if you want to. ;)