Sochi 2014:Athletes to Watch(NBC) | Golden Skate

Sochi 2014:Athletes to Watch(NBC)

Finnstep

Final Flight
Link to the article:http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/figure-skating-athletes-watch

Athletes mentioned here:
-Yu-Na Kim(KOR)
-Evan Lysacek(USA)
-Gracie Gold(USA)(with a fluff)
-Patrick Chan(CAN)
-Ashley Wagner(USA)
-Max Aaron(USA)
-Mao Asada(JPN)
-Evgeni Plushenko(RUS)
-Tatiana Volosozhar/Maxim Trankov(RUS)
-Meryl Davis/Charlie White(USA)

I've found two errors so far:
After taking some time away from the sport, the South Korean returned to competition at the World Championships in 2012, starting where she left off by winning gold in convincing fashion.
Yu-Na returned to competition at World Championships in 2013, not 2012.

ICE DANCING
Charlie Davis and Meryl White (USA)
:laugh:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
It's obvious the people who do these pieces know nothing about skating. And most won't bother to fact check either...

Becki

Medalist
Wow, this was really poor written with so many mistakes! Among the mistakes -

-Patrick was 5th in the Vancouver games...not 7th
-Gracie Gold did not get two medals in the "World Cup" (I assume that's the Grand Prix Series)
-Ashley was not 6th in this year's WC

Ahhhh

amc987

On the Ice
There are definitely more than 2 factual errors. Gracie Gold didn't win 2 medals on the "World Cup" in the 2012-2013 season. Ashley Wagner placed fifth (not sixth, as the article states) at this year's Worlds. Asada hasn't won medals at Worlds in 6 of the past 7 years (she was off the podium in '09, '11 and '12) and she didn't win 4 of 5 of her "World Cup" events last season (even if you include 4 Continents and WTT as part of the Cup, the statement is inaccurate). Plus, the writing is littered with grammatical mistakes. Whoever wrote this article was probably in hurry/ couldn't be bothered with checking facts.
Link to the article:http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/figure-skating-athletes-watch

Athletes mentioned here:
-Yu-Na Kim(KOR)
-Evan Lysacek(USA)
-Gracie Gold(USA)(with a fluff)
-Patrick Chan(CAN)
-Ashley Wagner(USA)
-Max Aaron(USA)
-Mao Asada(JPN)
-Evgeni Plushenko(RUS)
-Tatiana Volosozhar/Maxim Trankov(RUS)
-Meryl Davis/Charlie White(USA)

I've found two errors so far:
Yu-Na returned to competition at World Championships in 2013, not 2012.

:laugh:

LRK

Record Breaker
There are definitely more than 2 factual errors. Gracie Gold didn't win 2 medals on the "World Cup" in the 2012-2013 season. Ashley Wagner placed fifth (not sixth, as the article states) at this year's Worlds. Asada hasn't won medals at Worlds in 6 of the past 7 years (she was off the podium in '09, '11 and '12) and she didn't win 4 of 5 of her "World Cup" events last season (even if you include 4 Continents and WTT as part of the Cup, the statement is inaccurate). Plus, the writing is littered with grammatical mistakes. Whoever wrote this article was probably in hurry/ couldn't be bothered with checking facts.

Agreed. The question, though, arises - why write it at all? I mean, it's not like it's particularly urgent/breaking news or anything. Surely it could have waited until someone had the time to write something that at least looked... professional.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The strange thing is that the author has seemed conversant with figure skating when I have come across his tweets in the past. :confused2:

As for his apparent haste in posting the piece without careful proofreading and fact-checking:
The six-month Olympic countdown is underway, so I suppose a big push has started to crank out lotsa stories to build interest in all Sochi sports and to familiarize readers/viewers with promising athletes.
Regardless, I agree that the multitude of inaccuracies is disturbing.

Has anyone watched the Gracie Gold video? I have not, but am curious whether its level of accuracy is more satisfactory.

ETA:
Just realized that the NBC piece was posted on Jul 23. Crazy that the author has not corrected the errors by now. Wonder whether he remains oblivious to them. I would have expected U.S. Figure Skating (if no one else) to bring them to his attention.​

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Seeing all these mistakes ... NBC, WHAT ARE YOU DOING. SPENT BILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO GET THE OLYMPICS JUST SO YOUR WRITERS COULD BE LAZY? SHEESH.

Ashley Wagner (USA)
While Gracie is the golden girl, Wagner has been Ms. Consistent for the U.S.
How is Gracie the "golden girl" besides her last name? Puh-lease. Ashley's got more gold than she does! The last time Gracie won something was probably 2012 U.S. Junior Nationals.

Oh Lawd, are they going to make Gracie wear golden UGG boots again? Gracie, you're better than that. Please don't wear the UGG boots again.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Seeing all these mistakes ... NBC, WHAT ARE YOU DOING. SPENT BILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO GET THE OLYMPICS JUST SO YOUR WRITERS COULD BE LAZY? SHEESH.

How is Gracie the "golden girl" besides her last name? Puh-lease. Ashley's got more gold than she does!

because Gracie is the marketed American Sweetheart and not Wagner

gmyers

Record Breaker
Plushenko is hardly as much of a mystery as lysacek! Plushenko won euros in 2012! Russian champ in 2012 and 2013! what is mystery is what the Artificial spinal disc may mean.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But Plushenko has barely competed since Vancouver, leaving his form – like Lysacek’s – to be a mystery.

Um, WHAT?

Lysacek has not competed AT ALL since Vancouver.

Since Vancouver, Plushenko has won two Russian National titles, one European crown, and also competed at Euros this year. The only year he missed was his enforced layoff by the ISU. Even though he's had major surgery since, I'd say we know a LOT more about Plushenko's form than Lysacek's.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Um, WHAT?

Lysacek has not competed AT ALL since Vancouver.

Since Vancouver, Plushenko has won two Russian National titles, one European crown, and also competed at Euros this year. The only year he missed was his enforced layoff by the ISU. Even though he's had major surgery since, I'd say we know a LOT more about Plushenko's form than Lysacek's.

All this doesn't even include the Japan open he did when he was banned! Plushenko did more banned than lysacek did eligible!!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And yet Lysacek will always be the 2010 Olympic Gold medalist and Plushenko won't. :laugh:

Country
Russia
How is Gracie the "golden girl" besides her last name? Puh-lease. Ashley's got more gold than she does!
Gracie had gold at JGP Tallinn 2011 and at Nationals (Junior) 2012. And it is all her gold (excluding novice and low-level competitions).
Ashley had gold at 4CC-2012, two GP Events at 2012, two Nationals (Senior). Five gold medals at Senior level vs two Gracie's both at Junior level.

During the 2012-13 season she won medals at two World Cup events, including Skate America
Two mistakes:
1. Only one medal.
2. Not Skate America, Skate Canada (7 place) and Rostelecom Cup (2nd place).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The strange thing is that the author has seemed conversant with figure skating when I have come across his tweets in the past. :confused2:

But now I see that the author acknowledged in January that he was in need of a crash course in figure skating.

@NickMcCarvel
Sad the only women's name I recognize @ Nat'l Figure Skating Champs is Mirai #Nagasu. So much studying to do over next 11 months! #Omaha2013
9:25 PM - 24 Jan 13
https://twitter.com/NickMcCarvel/status/294677266267504640

At least he was honest about planning to study up this year. Hope the quality of his skating journalism improves accordingly.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And yet Lysacek will always be the 2010 Olympic Gold medalist and Plushenko won't. :laugh:

And yet Plushenko will always be a multiple Olympic medallist, multiple World Champion, squillion-time National Champion, loads-of-times European champion...and Lysacek won't. :laugh: