Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sochi 2014:Athletes to Watch(NBC)

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lcd View Post
    I'm sure there will be more features coming in the weeks ahead involving the athletes who participated in the same media event last spring that generated a lot of the promotional portrait pictures which were posted. Looking forward to seeing more of these in the weeks ahead.
    And another USOC media summit is coming up at the end of August so perhaps the spotlight will shine on a few more skaters.

Look forward to watching the NBC video of the Shibutanis.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    And yet Lysacek will always be the 2010 Olympic Gold medalist and Plushenko won't.
    This has nothing to do with the topic! A writer said that plushenko and lysacek were basically equal in post Vancouver competition which is not true. plushenko has 2 russian nationals 1.5 euros 2 Japan opens 1 with 2 quads and lysacek has nothing!! That's not equal! People have seen plushenko do in complete long programs quads and triple axels scored by judges and he won euros. The topic was not 2010 at all!! In any way! Like anyone had bashed Lysaceks ridiculous and always ridiculous victory in Vancouver before your post!

Banned
    Exactly how many Senior titles did Ashley have before 2012 when she almost 21? None. It took 5 years as a Senior skater for Ashley to even become relevant in US skating.
    This !
    Gracie is the No.1 US Lady and the highest chance to medal in Sochi not worn out Wagner

Custom Title
    Exactly how many Senior titles did Ashley have before 2012 when she almost 21? None. It took 5 years as a Senior skater for Ashley to even become relevant in US skating.
    Yes.
    But Ashley was better than Gracie at GP, won Gracie at Nats, Worlds and WTT.

I want to see Gracie winning Ashley at least once before telling that Gracie is US No 1.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    Or GP finals if they both make to the final and she places above Wagner. I don't know who is the #1 US lady, but you can tell Ashley is intimidated by Gracie and her technical power. So, I agree with people who think Gracie is the future
    Like I said, Gracie's one of my absolute favorites and I'm constantly championing her cause. I believe wholeheartedly that she's the future, but she has yet to beat Ashley either domestically or internationally. She came very, very close at WTT -- landing the triple salchow would have sealed the deal -- so I fully expect her to equal or surpass Ashley next season.

Until then, it's not fair or correct to snatch Ashley's title away. She IS the reigning US champion, an epithet which still commands a great deal of respect in the worldwide skating community.

If Gracie wins Nationals in a convincing fashion, which I think is a realistic goal, then she'll be the best in the US. No questions asked.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Like I said, Gracie's one of my absolute favorites and I'm constantly championing her cause. I believe wholeheartedly that she's the future, but she has yet to beat Ashley either domestically or internationally. She came very, very close at WTT -- landing the triple salchow would have sealed the deal -- so I fully expect her to equal or surpass Ashley next season.

Until then, it's not fair or correct to snatch Ashley's title away. She IS the reigning US champion, an epithet which still commands a great deal of respect in the worldwide skating community.

If Gracie wins Nationals in a convincing fashion, which I think is a realistic goal, then she'll be the best in the US. No questions asked.
    No disagreements here.

Serious question: Would most people be calling her a "golden girl" at this present moment if it wasn't for her last name? It seems like people are itching to go for some wordplay, really.

It's not about what you have relative what other had at a certain age. It's about what you have now. It's like saying Satoko Miyahara is more of a golden girl than Akiko Suzuki or Shizuka Arakawa because she's got more hardware than either of them did at that age. Lol, no. She just has more potential. Just like Mao Asada had more potential at 15 than Arakawa did at 15.

If Gracie wants to be the absolute 'muurican golden girl, she's going have to throw down this coming season and win win win! *insert pageant grin here*

Anyway, judging by this "article", NBC is going to be having so much fun with Gracie Gold's name in the headlines.

skating philosopher
    As of right now, Ashley and Gracie are tied as far as winning individual segments of a competition. Ashley is undefeated against Gracie in face-to-face competition match ups.

Ashley has higher personal and season's best in the SP, FS and overall than Gracie.

Last I heard, you don't get a gold medal in Nationals or Olympics for potential....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Serious question: Would most people be calling her a "golden girl" at this present moment if it wasn't for her last name? It seems like people are itching to go for some wordplay, really.
    Probably so, but to contrast the "golden girl" label against "consistent" is a bit insulting IMO, given that the "consistent" skater has won all the head-to-head match-ups. It reminds me of the women tennis players who get to #1 without a major title by being "consistent", whereas Ashley has undisputedly been the best American woman for two years.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Um, WHAT?

Lysacek has not competed AT ALL since Vancouver.

Since Vancouver, Plushenko has won two Russian National titles, one European crown, and also competed at Euros this year. The only year he missed was his enforced layoff by the ISU. Even though he's had major surgery since, I'd say we know a LOT more about Plushenko's form than Lysacek's.
    Agreed. A better way to phrase it is that Plushenko's surgery is leaving his form in question. Although comparing that to Lysacek not competing at all is ridiculous since he's achieved way more since Vancouver, seeing as how Plushenko has actually competed.

This piece is tripe for the most part, and riddled with inaccuracies as people pointed out.

Custom Title
    I also think people are being way too hard on Ashley. There are plenty of skaters who peaked later, like Slutskaya, Kostner... As much as I love Gold, haters are really quick to dismiss Wagner. Wagner came 2nd at the GPF, won two GP events, and has two US titles, and Gracie has yet to convincingly beat her. Wagner is still a really good shot at bronze in the Olympics, especially with her higher PCS advantage over Gold.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I also think people are being way too hard on Ashley. There are plenty of skaters who peaked later, like Slutskaya, Kostner... As much as I love Gold, haters are really quick to dismiss Wagner. Wagner came 2nd at the GPF, won two GP events, and has two US titles, and Gracie has yet to convincingly beat her. Wagner is still a really good shot at bronze in the Olympics, especially with her higher PCS advantage over Gold.
    your joking right ? Wagner has already peaked
    and that pcs advantage wll be no more, imo, this season Gracie will level or have higher pcs than Wagner

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Maybe the reason Farris is not given as much billing as Gold is because Farris has never competed in an international SENIOR event. Gold has competed at the senior level internationally and done well. (FYI: Farris did not place 2nd at 2013 Nationals...Ross Miner did)
    But Gold was already being hyped to the max in Juniors. That was how she got the gig at WTT in the first place. And she had won just one JGP and was Junior National Champ. I just do not understand where all this hype came from. Yeah okay she's a lady who can jump. But her junior record did not merit the hype she's gotten IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    If they would think outside the box, I am increasingly convinced that among the U.S. skaters (from all discipines), Max Aaron has the best storyline. His has something for everyone: a breakthrough season after almost leaving the sport; jumps and artistry as dueling ambitions; overcoming major injury; deep hockey background; a family of elite skaters; etc. And he has the total package of personal qualities that appeal to both women and men, young and old: good people skills and communication skills; strong drive and work ethic; distinctive looks and voice; plus more. Hope that his momentum from last season continues to grow.
    Agreed. Max's story kicks butt. And he seems like such a nice, personable guy. I'd be marketing him as much as possible. But no.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    ETA:
    All respect to Farris for his solid record, but a typo here?
    Yes. Oops. Sorry Ross.

Miserere Nobis
    Just curious...why AREN'T they marketing Max? He has a wonderful personality (from what we've observed), and audiences always love the "underdog-climbs-to-the-top" story.

On the Ice
    Gracie got her opportunity at the WTT because the other senior skaters "in line ahead of her" turned the opportunity down. Gracie was fortunate to be in the position to get asked, and capitalized on it well. She then backed it up with strong performances that put her on the docket for significant events (Four Continents and Worlds) during her rookie senior season. Timing and a bit of luck - for better or worse - matters.

I agree that Max has a compelling story, but like the fickle audience that fans are - his timing seems right, but my only hesitation is that he has only had one season of proving his "stuff" on the senior season for one season. If I were NBC, I would be very impressed but not necessarily thinking I should be putting a significant amount of my weight behind him.

I am sure we will be seeing more "stories" from the other skaters that participated in the media event. I expect a lot of visibility for Davis/White. I think the Shibutani's have done a better than fine job of presenting themselves as entertaining and interesting stories for the casual fan to be interested. Intelligent siblings with creativity to boot.

This whole Ashley vs. Gracie sniping is already giving me a headache. They are both impressive young ladies and ANYTHING NBC can do to promote SKATING is a plus.

FIGURE SKATING is DEAD except during the Olympics. Seriously people, let's hope NBC does their best to give ANY of them exposure beyond the "15 seconds" they'll get during the Olympics.

Snipe. Snipe. Snipe. Get some perspective .. yeesh.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Celine View Post
    FIGURE SKATING is DEAD except during the Olympics. Seriously people, let's hope NBC does their best to give ANY of them exposure beyond the "15 seconds" they'll get during the Olympics.
    Based on the mistakes in their article, NBC is not doing their best to promote skating. Hopefully someone doesn't read it and thinks the only events worth tuning in for are the Figure Skating World Cup events.

Although it looks like the errors have been corrected now.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast