Nebelhorn Trophy 2013: Sep 25-28 [Oberstdorf, Germany] - Olympic Qualifying Event | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Nebelhorn Trophy 2013: Sep 25-28 [Oberstdorf, Germany] - Olympic Qualifying Event

samson

Medalist
That's really too bad about Kiira. She's such a lovely, mature skater. Always a treat to watch. If this means no Finland in Sochi then that's really too bad.

I wonder what shape Miki will be in. It would be quite the surprise too see the full Japanese ladies team from Vancouver in Sochi. At this point it seems like at this point Mao is the only definite. At least to me.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
So, Kiira´s hope to compete at the Olympics is over? It would be a very difficult if not impossible task for Turkkila to get an Olympic spot for Finland.

macy

Record Breaker
poor kiira...i feel terrible for her. what pressure juulia has on her shoulders now...

patinage_adulte

On the Ice
Is the schedule anywhere to be found??

just need to ask SaraM :laugh:

Provisonal event schedule as of 26.8.2013
(Subject to changes)

Thursday 26.09.2013

11:00 h Ladies Short Program
16:20 h Pairs Short Program
19:55 h Ice Dance Short Dance

Friday 27.09.2013

08:30 h Men Short Program
13:50 h Pairs Free Skating
18:00 h Ladies Free Skating

Saturday 28.09.2013

09:00 h Men Free Skating
15:15 h Ice Dance Free Dance

20:15 h Exhibition

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Sorry I don't know the appropriate place to put this minor housekeeping quibble---but why is this thread even listed under "summer competitions and events" when it doesn't fall in that category? Surely the Olympic qualifying competition in the fall should have it's own thread right under this season's Competitions and Events category. I guess I'm just annoyed at having to do an extra click down the thread outline since I've lately been checking this thread a couple of times daily, heh, and will increase that in the next week. ;-)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Mods:
Nebelhorn is not a summer competition, of course, but I don't see anywhere else that I can start a competition thread for it.

Sorry I don't know the appropriate place to put this minor housekeeping quibble---but why is this thread even listed under "summer competitions and events" when it doesn't fall in that category? Surely the Olympic qualifying competition in the fall should have it's own thread right under this season's Competitions and Events category. I guess I'm just annoyed at having to do an extra click down the thread outline since I've lately been checking this thread a couple of times daily, heh, and will increase that in the next week. ;-)

Thanks for raising the question at this good time, jiejie. I also have been wondering about the placement of this thread ever since I started it in Aug -- at the time, the system did not allow new threads to be added in any other part of the Competitions forum that would have made any better sense. [Perhaps the Competitions forum has since been restructured??]

Mods, I too would love for you to move the thread. Thx.
(Finlandia and Nepela do not belong under Summer Competitions either, but by the same token, no better placement existed for them.)

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
I will be really gratefull, if someone could inform me and write down the name of all the ladies competitors that are fighting for the olympic spot, meanig just the one that are going for the olympics like not radionova whos just there to compete... could anyone help me out?

GF2445

Record Breaker
I will be really gratefull, if someone could inform me and write down the name of all the ladies competitors that are fighting for the olympic spot, meanig just the one that are going for the olympics like not radionova whos just there to compete... could anyone help me out?

Sure

In the Ladies' event, the skaters who are just there to compete are
1. Veronik Mallet CAN (Kaetlyn Osmond qualified 2 spots for Canada at Worlds)
2. Elena Glebove EST (She qualified a spot for Estonia at Worlds)
3. Nathalie Weinzierl GER (She qualified a spot for Germany at Worlds)
4. Miki Ando JPN (Japan qualified 3 spots at Worlds)
5. Elena Radionova RUS (Russia qualified 2 spots at Worlds)
6. Isabelle Olsson SWE (Sweden qualified a spot at Worlds)
7. Ashley Cain USA (United States qualified 3 spots at Worlds)

So that leaves-
Brooklee Han AUS
Kerstin Frank AUT
Kaat Van Daele BEL
Isadora Williams BRA
Anna Afonkina BUL
Crystal Kiang TPE
Elizaveta Ukolova CZE
Anita Madsen DEN
Juulia Turkkila FIN
Elene Gedevanishvili GEO
Isabella Schuster-Velissariou GRE
Chelsea Rose Chiappa HUN
Ami Perekh IND
Clara Peters IRL
Danielle Montalbano ISR
Alina Fjodorova LAT
Inga Januleviciute LTH
Fleur Maxwell LUX
Reyna Hamui MEX
Michelle Couwenberg NED
Anne Line Gjersem NOR
Alisson Krystle Perticheto PHI
Sabina Mariuta ROU
Sandra Ristivojevic SRB
Dasa Grm SLO
Lejeanne Marais RSA
Sonia Lafuente ESP
Tina Stuerzinger SUI
Birce Atabey TUR

ice coverage

Record Breaker

If the listing below helps, Nebelhorn entrants who are NOT from the countries below are fighting for an Olympic spot.

*Countries that already earned Olympic spots in each discipline*, per ISU Communication No. 1791 (pp. 2-3):

Ladies spots already earned for Sochi (24 total out of a maximum number of 30 ==> 6 spots remaining):
- 3 competitors each: KOR, JPN, USA
- 2 competitors each: ITA, CHN, CAN, RUS
- 1 competitor each: FRA, SWE, UKR, EST, SVK, GER, GBR​

Men's spots already earned for Sochi (24 total out of a max. of 30 ==> 6 spots remaining):
- 3 competitors each: CAN, JPN
- 2 competitors each: KAZ, ESP, USA, FRA, CZE
- 1 competitor each: GER, CHN, UZB, RUS, SWE, BEL, AUT, EST​

Pairs spots already earned for Sochi (16 total out of a max. of 20 ==> 4 spots remaining):
- 3 competitors each: RUS, CAN
- 2 competitors each: GER, CHN, FRA, USA, ITA​

Ice Dance spots already earned for Sochi (19 total out of a max. of 24 ==> 5 spots remaining):
- 3 competitors each: USA, CAN, RUS
- 2 competitors each: ITA, FRA, GER
- 1 competitor each: GBR, UKR, LTU, AZE​

ETA, according to ISU's official Nebelhorn preview as of Sep 18, the number of entries competing for an Olympic berth are:
- 29 ladies (out of 36 entries)
- 26 men (out of 34)
- 13 pairs (out of 19)
- 18 ice dance couples (out of 23)

** Caveat:
If I understand correctly, it is possible that countries will have to sacrifice earned spots if they do not have sufficient entries who eventually attain minimum scores.

(Thanks to others who already have posted analyses earlier in the thread and/or in The Edge. :bow: [ETA: Incl., but not limited to, GF2445, who replied with the full list above at the same time that I was composing my post. :)]
Hope that this reply is helpful to SaraM and possibly others.)

ETA, speculation about the remaining Olympic spots is the topic of this thread in The Edge:

Country
Russia
Ladies pretending to Olympics in Personal Best Order

1. Elene Gedevanishvili GEO 165.93
2. Sonia Lafuente ESP 152.29
3. Kerstin Frank AUT 143.56
4. Brooklee Han AUS 141.88
5. Juulia Turkkila FIN 136.68
6. Alina Fjodorova LAT 133.48 (degraded very much after this score at Jan 2012)
7. Anita Madsen DEN 133.35
8. Kaat Van Daele BEL 130.00
9. Tina Stuerzinger SUI 128.38
10. Anne Line Gjersem NOR 124.48
11. Elizaveta Ukolova CZE 124.41
12. Isadora Williams BRA 123.93
13. Reyna Hamui MEX 123.69
14. Alisson Krystle Perticheto PHI 119.76
15. Inga Januleviciute LTH 116.39
16. Fleur Maxwell LUX 113.01
17. Dasa Grm SLO 112.54
18. Crystal Kiang TPE 109.15
19. Clara Peters IRL 107.39 (highest sum of FS PR and SP)
20. Lejeanne Marais RSA 105.06
21. Anna Afonkina BUL 101.40
22. Birce Atabey TUR 89.36
23. Chelsea Rose Chiappa HUN 95.89
24. Ami Parekh IND 94.56
25. Isabella Schuster-Velissariou GRE 85.66
26. Sandra Ristivojevic SRB 85.48
27. Sabina Mariuta ROU 80.85
28. Michelle Couwenberg NED 77.25
xx. Danielle Montalbano ISR (no Personal Best)

Go Juulia Turkkila! You can do it!
And we will be happy to see you at Olympics, if Kiira will still not be ready.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
Thank you so much everyone for your detailed description, very helpfull! So let me get this straight of those skaters going for the olympic spots the top 6 will make it?? Tryin to figure out how the norwegian girl Gjersem could make it.. :p

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Well, looking at the list, only Gedevanishvili, Lafuente, Frank (maybe Han) are surely better than Julia, but if she lands some of her 3Ts and 3Ss she could actually make it to the top6... Go Julia!! I really want to see Kiira in Sochi!!

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
Well, looking at the list, only Gedevanishvili, Lafuente, Frank (maybe Han) are surely better than Julia, but if she lands some of her 3Ts and 3Ss she could actually make it to the top6... Go Julia!! I really want to see Kiira in Sochi!!

it would be a REAL shame not to se a skater of Kiiras caliber in Sochi...

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

so basically, Turkkila needs to land her triples to have Kiira compete in Sochi if she is ready, :eek:hwell:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I feel bad for Juulia...if she does manage to qualify the spot, there's a high chance she'd lose it to Kiira if Kiira's healthy enough. That's got to be kind of rough.

swurvestar

Rinkside
Ok, so I'm not totally clear on these rules, forgive me.

For the skaters that are trying to gain Olympic spots, they must be in top 6 correct? Do the skaters that already qualified that place in top 6 get excluded? For example:

1. skater that previously qualified
2. skater that needs to qualify
3. skater that needs to qualify
4. skater that needs to qualify
5. skater that needs to qualify
6. skater that needs to qualify
7. skater that needs to qualify

Would skaters 2-7 qualify and those be the 6 spots or #7 doesn't qualify because it's top 6 not excluding already qualified skaters?

Sorry if I didn't explain my question correctly, I try again if needed. Also, despite all of this, the skaters need to reach the min score required for Olympics, correct? Are there any skaters strictly at this competition to achieve that or will be at gp comps to do that?

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
^^^ They'll skip over the skaters from countries that have already qualified for the Olympics, and count the top 6 skaters from the countries that haven't. So theoretically, if skaters from countries that have already qualified end up in places 1, 2, 5, 7, 8 then the skaters placing 3, 4, 6, 9, 10, 11 would get the Olympic spots for their countries. Remember spots go to the country federation, not the skater. Also, yes there are minimum TES requirements for SP and FS that the skater themselves must attain to participate in Olympics (and Worlds). But it doesn't necessarily have to be attained at Nebelhorn; minimums could have been earned last season or this season at one of many other international competitions. SP and FS minimum TES scores do not have to be earned during the same competition.