Nebelhorn Trophy 2013: Sep 25-28 [Oberstdorf, Germany] - Olympic Qualifying Event | Page 50 | Golden Skate

Nebelhorn Trophy 2013: Sep 25-28 [Oberstdorf, Germany] - Olympic Qualifying Event

queen

Rinkside
Another very interesting entry:

Olga BESTANDIGOVA / Ilhan MANSIZ TUR

Isn't he the soccer player who wanted to become a skater? It must be their first competition ever together (besides Stars on Ice Turkey).

He was very famous soccer player. His efforts should be respected. Just a Nice advertising for turkish skating.

queen

Rinkside
Yes, Turkish team are really good - looking couple, the first part of the music was very difficult and slow to show really hard elements..Actually they deserved to be in Olympics at last Worlds but they have received music deduction.But this time they did great.Congratulations to them.They will be the first couple of their country to represent Turkey in Olympics for ice dance.Mr.Zhulin did great job.Their SD was really Beatiful as well.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Just a few ramblings on attending the Nebelhorn Trophy. First off, I would like to pass on kudos to Alex D. He saw everything I saw and noticed a lot more than I did. He also wrote up his observations with a wit and passion that is much better than anything I could have written. He also showed tremendous stamina with a schedule that was grueling for any serious spectator. For instance, on Thursday the competition started at 11:00 AM and ran until 11:20 PM with a 15 minute break between ladies and pairs, and a 20 minute break between pairs and dance. Alex D was there for all of that as well as some practices that occurred before the competition started. My wife and I didn't make it to the rink until the start of the first competition and gave up about 9:00 PM and went back to the room to watch dance finish up on German Eurosport. Thank you, Alex D for your keen observations and all the great write ups. I hope I get the opportunity to see you again at some future competition.

Thanks a lot for those nice words ;) It was a great pleasure meeting you both and I hope we can repeat this some other time again. It is a really wonderful feeling if someone comes down to your spot at the press area and says "Hi" and all those wonderful words about my work. It really motivates me to keep going ;) so thanks a lot!

I am very grateful that I have the opportunity to watch figure skating live a few times a year, I save all my money for these about 5 events throughout the year so that I wont leave before I am kicked out / and I am also one of the first inside when the gates open. I don't take those things for granted, because I know there are a lot of people that don't have the money or time to visit any live sports :( I do this with every sports event that I go to, Wimbledon, Olympics, Athletics or Gymnastics.

It is quite funny that you mentioned this Paul, because this is what so many people and Skaters remember first when they see me (the guy that lives at the ice rink), and of course the blue jacket *laughs*.

Throughout the past years I met so many wonderful people at those figure skating events and wherever I go, someone recognizes me and we have a quick chat - this is a gift and I am grateful that the figure skating family is so lovely, especially since I usually go alone ^^

I hope skaters like Lejeanne Marais of South Africa, Clara Peters of Ireland, and Crystal Kiang of Chinese Taipei realize how much some of us fans (like Alex D and me) appreciate the fact that they show up and skate as hard as they can regardless of their placements.

I cant speak for every figure skater in this world, but the most of them do appreciate it a lot. You can see this very well during the practice sessions, which sadly only a handful of people watch ( sometimes I am even alone with the family / coaches like so often at Zagreb or Bern). They bow for that 1 person, just like they would for 1000.

If you clap they always smile, some even thank you in person - so yes, it is something they do appreciate a lot!

What I find sad though is that some people "abuse" that friendly atmosphere and then try to track Skaters down in their privacy etc. :( Because of this the last Events all had that "prison" character, where every step was watched as you might could do this and that... this is a pity, especially for the Skaters! As I mentioned the handshake after the Gala was not allowed :(

Btw. I didn't realize that you came down all the way from Washington! Wow, that's really awesome! There are a few people like some Japanese and Russians that travel to a lot of events as well, I always enjoy seeing familiar faces so I hope to see you two again ;)

swurvestar

Rinkside
Anyone have a link to the full Free Dance event? Thanks. I can't seem to find it. I'm looking for the ISU version, but any will do. Thanks.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the Nebelhirn Experience. I love how the quiet and quaint town of Oberstdorf is the home of such a prestgious competition.
The performances have been great and there were alot of surprises fromthis event. Also i throught the judging was generally well done.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Anyone have a link to the full Free Dance event? Thanks. I can't seem to find it. I'm looking for the ISU version, but any will do. Thanks.

I think the ISU forgot to turn off the recording properly so for the last couple of days the video said that the event was still happening. Now it looks like they took it off the air. Maybe it could reappear soon.

I would love to see it because the Gala is on that recording too

deedee1

Record Breaker
PaulE:

Thank you for these wonderful observations. As we watch and track skaters in this Olympic season, we have to remember that the heart of sport is that someone gets to win, and others don't.

But, it's also nice to remember that there is more than one way to win. I love when skaters from non-powers do well. Even competing on the same ice can be a "win."

:thumbsup: :yes:

And a special 'Big-Thank-You' to Alex D and PaulE for sharing all your experiences with us and providing summaries into such details at Nebelhorn :bow:, which of course I tremendously enjoyed reading every words of your posts here! :yes:

Robin26

Rinkside
Danielle MONTALBANO (ISR)

Music: Lara's Theme (from "Doctor Zhivago" soundtrack)

Pink and purple dress

... - didn't see
3S+2T
3S - stepout
3T - hangs on
FCCoSp
StSq
2A
FCSp
2Lz+2Lo
2F+1Lo+2S
ChSq
CCoSp

Fistpump, she looks pleased. Almost clean skate, but not much difficulty, and the jumps are small.

Score: 36.76+35.61=72.37, 106.69, in 3rd (out of 10)

This is her return to skating after being a pair skater for four years and two surgeries to repair s broken ankle . she still has a plate and 6 screws . The same day she skated her free she found out her partner just qualified for olympic spot. That she had worked 4 years to get. Ill give her all kudos for that SKATE.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Great start to the olympic season. Lots of kisses and cries… very emotionally. Congrats to the skaters/nations that won the last spots. Not all my wishes, but well deserved. Many personal bests, which means skaters took this competition seriously and were well prepared :clap:

Oda and Volosozhar/Trankov were outstanding… also Radionova though looking childish. I do hope she keeps up with her jumps/techs when she gets older. I want to see her doing spectacular programs in years to come. What a performer she already is :rock:

Lovely men's podium. The Japanese nationals will be super exciting. The US as well. Lucky you who live in countries with many great skaters pushing one another.

Lots of greats skaters, no names (pairs' competition was hight quality) … But I post mostly to say thank you to Alex D. for amusing reports with details and stuff I couldn't know. Cool to hear about how the skaters flirt with the judges :) I like that you support all skaters, not just the most popular. Thanks also to sequins, mao 88, kutien, PauliE and others for your work to make this thread interesting.:rock:

Dramahkween

On the Ice
This is her return to skating after being a pair skater for four years and two surgeries to repair s broken ankle . she still has a plate and 6 screws . The same day she skated her free she found out her partner just qualified for olympic spot. That she had worked 4 years to get. Ill give her all kudos for that SKATE.

Exactly! Have you seen the video of the FS? I thought it was lovely! I'm searching for the SP- If anyone finds it, please let me know!