Thread: Why Does the Human Rights Thread Keep Getting Moved AKA Hidden?

Rinkside

Why Does the Human Rights Thread Keep Getting Moved AKA Hidden?

I'm dismayed by how any threads on the subject of a potential Olympic boycott keep getting moved to the politics forum. Such threads discuss the IOC's failure to follow their own Olympic Charter and are very much newsworthy-- particularly to a sport that has such a long history of LGBT involvement. Why not let posters actually talk about this as adults--and even disagree at times-- instead of impeding communication by moving the threads to less visible areas of the site?

As the forum discussion states "The Edge is the main forum for general figure skating topics and discussions. It also includes translated snippets of interviews and articles, links to newsworthy features..." Whether folks agree with the content or not, the potential boycott has been the largest figure skating story of the summer.

Because the edge is for figure skating - athletes themselves topics

did you register for figure skating or to foil political views only
    because you are on the wrong thread

another thread for politics section
    all this should just be lumped into a single thread in politics section, no need to spam and create repititve threads

Rinkside
    Thanks for questioning my status as a figure skating fan. I can assure you I know my Flutzes.

If there is an issue that may cause the cancellation or partial boycott of the largest figure skating event in the world, I believe we should be able to talk about it. We would be talking about how this could impact the sport and its athletes. This is much more significant than whether a lift is deemed level 3 or 4.

Custom Title
    I think because of thread drift. It just expands to generalities.

you can discuss that in the politics section
    go inside there is a sub thread

Custom Title
    Only one figure skater is even talking about It!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    I think because of thread drift. It just expands to generalities.
    I think that could be said about a lot of threads which go off topic. I agree that the thread isn't centric around figure skating, but I agree more that this discussion of the Olympics being moved/cancelled/shifted/preventing people from coming is one of the more important issues surrounding the Olympics, and thus could affect the figure skating event. Moving it to Le Cafe/Politics buries it.

I guess we could always get around it by titling a thread with Johnny Weir's comments about Sochi, so it's about a figure skater, and then shifting the conversation with articles and the like (which would still technically make it on topic). As you said, it would be a shame if a thread about a level 3 or 4 lift got more visibility than a discussion around whether the Olympics could get moved.

Bluebonnet, I am going to move your post to Politics, since it has nothing to do with figure skating.

Billeh, to post in the Politics forum you need a post count of 100. Just post a few times on some of the other threads -- you'll be there in no time!

Edited to add: This thread actually belongs in the Feedback folder. It is about the policies and conduct of the Forum.
    Last edited by Mathman; 08-12-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I think that could be said about a lot of threads which go off topic. I agree that the thread isn't centric around figure skating, but I agree more that this discussion of the Olympics being moved/cancelled/shifted/preventing people from coming is one of the more important issues surrounding the Olympics, and thus could affect the figure skating event. Moving it to Le Cafe/Politics buries it.

I guess we could always get around it by titling a thread with Johnny Weir's comments about Sochi, so it's about a figure skater, and then shifting the conversation with articles and the like (which would still technically make it on topic). As you said, it would be a shame if a thread about a level 3 or 4 lift got more visibility than a discussion around whether the Olympics could get moved.
    I think this is politics because gay rights come through legislation judges popular referendums. So if athletes are talking about gay rights that will have to come through bills.

Is games available for posters under a 100? That is a sure way to get to a 100 fast! LOL.

Is games available for posters under a 100? That is a sure way to get to a 100 fast! LOL.
    Yes, however, posts in the "Games" section no longer count towards your total post count. The forums exist for the discussion of figure skating. The Politics and Games forums were created for members who have contributed for a long time, made friends, and wish to discuss other topics.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gsk8 View Post
    Yes, however, posts in the "Games" section no longer count towards your total post count. The forums exist for the discussion of figure skating. The Politics and Games forums were created for members who have contributed for a long time, made friends, and wish to discuss other topics.
    That makes sense! That's why I was joking about it!

This thread is being moved back to the Edge so that members who have less that 100 posts can discuss. The Politics forum is a place where threads and posts are not moderated, allowing long-standing GS members that understand the Guidelines can post in a mature way.

Before posting further, please understand that:

1) The Edge is moderated (Politics Forum is NOT). Please review the Guidelines carefully.

2) Stay on topic. Ranters, ravers, insults/attacks on posters, etc will be dealt with according to the guidelines.

As always, if at anytime, we feel the discussion has reached it's peak and/or is being "abused", the thread will be moved back to the Politics forum.

I will not have the mods scrub/moderate over 180 posts, so please do not "quote" older posts in this thread in order to rant, rave, insult, attack, etc.

Update as of 8/15/2013

The Golden Skate Forum staff has tried to accommodate all members regarding discussions of Russia's new anti-gay law and the Olympics. Unfortunately, the threads have declined quickly with bickering and insults being tossed back and forth.

GS will not be used as a platform for this disruptiveness, therefore, all related threads will be moved to the Politics forum. This is not a free pass to be discriminatory. Abuse it and you will be banned.