Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Artur Gachinski

Custom Title
    Russians should let their skaters alone to develop their own way and stop treating them as next Plushenko or next Yagudin. Yagudin and Plushenko belong to the past, Russia needs new FS stars. Even overhyped Kovtun could actually start landing his quads and have good results in senior competitions, without Tarasova's PR.
    Gachinski is a lovely skater, he reminds me of Alexander Abt, I wish him luck.

Custom Title
    I really like the new Anna Karenina LP for him. It's lovely, the grey waistcoat suits him perfectly. (It's nice to see him in a colour other than black!)

However, what worried me most about Finlandia was not the popped jumps, no-credit steps or awkward spins, but rather, the speed at which he took his boots off. This indicates to me that the problem, whatever it was, was not entirely fixed.

Custom Title
    Anna Karenina threatened to be a very popular music choice this season but I am glad that there seem to be relatively few so far. It is a welcome match of skater and music. I appreciate not seeing him black this season too

Rinkside
    Saw Artur at Skate America. My heart broke for him. He had a VERY nasty fall in Practice on Thursday-I mean, usually skaters are VERY quick to get up when they fall, but Artur simply could not get up! I was terrified for him. On Friday, he seemed still sore and his movements seemed affected. But he skated his short. Crash landed the quad, stumbled out of another jump, then fell again. I don't think it was all the injury, although his back has been injured for a long time, and that horrid fall certainly didn't help very much! he has been, lately, in the habit of ripping those boots off really fast after he skates. He was 8th out of 8 men in the SkAm short, and in the field in which he was skating, there's really no coming back from that. HOWEVER...his Free Skate was, I thought, inspired. He still managed to end up last.
    THIS is what I find interesting..Artur, for most of the competition, was the ONLY one to successfully land a quad, and was STILL behind all of the others. Rippon was lovely, but he crahsed his quad lutz face first into the camera. Max Aaron fell and stumbled through the first half of his program, I think the only skater that didn't fall down was Machida!! So WHY were Artur's PCS scores so horribly low? I studied the protocols for the competition, and noticed a WIDE disparity between the marks given to the European skaters (Artur and Sasha Majorov of Sweden) and the PCS given to the others. (3 US men and 3 Japanese) Takahashi (whom I adore, personally) was a hot mess, and finished ahead of Artur!! Artur's ONLY mistake was a split/fall out of a triple late in the program..he should have been WAY higher in the scoring. One judge actually gave Artur a 5 for his PCS!! That's like novice scoring! I think that, in the USA & Canada, there is a bias...failing that, perhaps PCS isn't taught the way it is in the West and in Japan, and European skaters come out with much less understanding of that section of the COP. SOMETHING needs done. NO WAY Artur skated worse than many of the men who competed at Skate America. NO WAY. That is JMHO. I also heard comments that he was 'disconnected' from his music (THAT was a commentator) and all I could scream was "He's injured, you IDIOT!! Don't you even KNOW that??" But he skated anyway. He did not withdraw, and I thought, redeemed himself nicely in the free. His scores dod not adequately reflect this..although he did score above poor Majorov in this section of the comp, but not overall, sadly. Artur was very quiet leaving Detroit. I just wanted to hug hin and cry FOR him. Because he is SUCH a soldier to even go out and skate at all following that injury. And then to do so well in the free and be marked so horribly...
    Machida WAS the clear winner. Adam Rippon was a good second. Max Aaron a so-so third. I don't think Artur should have finsihed on the podium, no. I think 5th would have been appropriate scoring for him there. But overcoming THAT much of a defecit after the short would have been an enormous task.

Either way, I am SO proud of him, and am pleased that he saw my "Team Gachinsky" shirt and smiled. I wish a speedy recovery and a true return to form for Artur. His short from Memorial Panin was amazing. And his free from Finlandia left me breathless. If he puts THOSE 2 programs together at COR.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss&Cry View Post
    the whole post
    thank you for your report

Artur PCS were rightfully low. Most of the skaters at this competition are better at all areas of PCS (SS, IN, PE, TR, CH). Honestly he was the worse out of all the men IMHO. He skated slow, had practically no transitions (nothing going on with his feet/program was so empty so low TR), there wasn't any interpretation (pain meds?), he seem like he wasn't even there (he just didn't perform/low PE). I was so bored during his program that I just wanted it all to be over. All the other guys were immensely more entertaining even if they did missed their jumps they kept performing, Majorov included. I would put all those guys ahead on IN and PE. His skating skills are only above Aaron and Majorov, nobody else should his SS be higher than. Even then, Max is way faster so i'll say they are about even on SS. Maybe CH over Max and Alexander but that's it.

To me he basically skated as if he had no confidence. Skated as if somebody kicked his puppy, he just looked sad. And I hate the way he finishes his jumps too. That bugged me more than Radionova's shoulders. He was my biggest disappointment at SA (Max too).

Anyway I hope he does better at COR for his sake. And I say this as a fan but sometimes you have to be real. I like the kid but really in which area of his PCS do you think he should have been scored higher than the other skaters I'm curious?

Custom Title
    I thought Artur's LP was definitely underscored and he definitely should have beaten Majorov but no way as high as fifth, and certainly not beating Jason (who was the fifth placed skater, but should have been fourth - IMO).

Artur needs confidence. Something was rattled and not working. Anna Karenina is GORGEOUS and if he can work on really selling that program, I hope things will improve for him. When he went for the quad in LP he attacked it with confidence and the jump looked like it had never been a problem for him, so he CAN do it. By contrast his quad attempt in the short looked tentative. I know he had a horrible fall in the practice and probably hurt himself but he wasn't at his best here.

That said, everything I saw at Finlandia and Panin Memorial looked really, REALLY promising and I really hope that he can pull it together at Cup of Russia.

But of course, at CoR there's a whole new set of challenges - the Federation's Chosen Golden Boy, Kovtun; Chan; and of course, the mighty Plushenko; and I'm really hoping that the presence of Plushenko doesn't screw with Artur's head too much.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by DobrinFan View Post
    Artur PCS were rightfully low. Most of the skaters at this competition are better at all areas of PCS (SS, IN, PE, TR, CH). Honestly he was the worse out of all the men IMHO. He skated slow, had practically no transitions (nothing going on with his feet/program was so empty so low TR), there wasn't any interpretation (pain meds?), he seem like he wasn't even there (he just didn't perform/low PE). I was so bored during his program that I just wanted it all to be over. All the other guys were immensely more entertaining even if they did missed their jumps they kept performing, Majorov included. I would put all those guys ahead on IN and PE. His skating skills are only above Aaron and Majorov, nobody else should his SS be higher than. Even then, Max is way faster so i'll say they are about even on SS. Maybe CH over Max and Alexander but that's it.

To me he basically skated as if he had no confidence. Skated as if somebody kicked his puppy, he just looked sad. And I hate the way he finishes his jumps too. That bugged me more than Radionova's shoulders. He was my biggest disappointment at SA (Max too).

Anyway I hope he does better at COR for his sake. And I say this as a fan but sometimes you have to be real. I like the kid but really in which area of his PCS do you think he should have been scored higher than the other skaters I'm curious?
    Seriously looked at all the performances, and you are right about this particular performance...I watched a couple of his programs from past seasons, and this one didn't even belong in the arena with the rest of those guys. You are right about another thing, and I hope his team takes this to heart. do NOT drug this kid up and send him out to skate! I should have realized that he was on some KILLER pain meds, and perhaps they take away the pain to a degree, but they also sap your personality right with it. At Finlandia, it was a whole different story. he was able to sell the program. My friend was right..it was just not his night. I have taken a good hard look at this comp..and truth be known, I don't EVER want to see him skate like this again. A withdrawal would have been preferable to sending him out there in that shape.

Sorry I spoke out of the box, and out of line.
    I adore Jason Brown and thought he should have been fourth (although I thought he should have beaten Max.but then again, this is me talking.
    I'll shut up now, and will quietly go about watching Artur and praying for a skate like the 2012 Euros. He skated against Plushenko there, and did very well. Some people even thought he should have won....

Custom Title
    I love Jason too, but there was no way he would have beaten Max. 3 quads + 2 3As vs 2 wonky 3As. The TES was always going to ensure that wasn't even close. Jason had to skate super clean to even come close if Max was sloppy (as he was a bit). He didn't. But I still feel he may have lost out on fourth unfairly on the grounds of "Former World Champion and Japanese Heart-throb" vs "First-year Senior"...

I'm among the camp who thought Artur should have won against Plushenko at Europeans that year. The issue was the short program scores: there was absolutely no way in a blue moon that Artur's lead after the SP should have been only half a point! Combine that with Plushenko having one of his trademark special LPs and Artur never stood a chance. As much as I love Plushy too, that was reputation judging at its finest.

I'm really hoping Artur can pull it together!

Tripping on the Podium
    Sorry to interrupt the proper mourning but I translated the interview he gave Tanya Flade after the FS (there was also a piece Mishin said about Liza's SP trouble), he does not complain neither about the injury, nor about the scores. The guy is a bit funny.

http://fsrussia.ru/news/792_artur-ga...va-chetvernyh/

After skating in Detroit Artur Gachinski and his coach Alexei Nikolaevich Mishin commented on his performance to ISU press coordinator Tatjana Flade.

"I can't say the injury that happened before the short programme hampered much. I had injections done before going on the ice, and I took painkiller medicines, so I practically haven't felt myself. Though before the Grand Prix event I was self-confident. I skated well in the training before the short, there was no failure in the 6-minute warm-up either. It was clear in my head that now I can go out and do everything. In the end I did nothing.

In the free skate it was surely a different story. I did everything I could. After today's skate I'm content that I'm finding the strengh, getting back at least a little of the skating I had not so long ago. It happens in the free skate, but I have to work more on the short programme, come back to myself.

As for the injury - I fell, back aches badly. And now the knee too. So I'm all bandaged. The knee disturbed me already in St. Petersburg, but I didn't attach too much importance to it. I fell - well, I fell. And now I noticed shooting pains in it. At coming home I'll undergo some treatment.

I'll rest a little bit and then I'll gain competition experience, so that I do not make mistakes like I did here and do not delude myself with the confidence that now I shall go on ice and everything will be super, and then it turns out no, not super.

Before the Grand Prix event on Moscow I'll take part in competitions in Saint Petersburg. I have to develop the programmes. We talked already with Alexei Nikolaevich and my choreographer Tatiana Prokofieva and decided that I have to compete more. We'll strenthen the programme, think about rebuilding it for two quads. Plus two triple axels and 3-3 combos, all that has to be jumped, jumped and worked out, so there's still a long road ahead", - Artur Gachinski shared his musings after performing at Skate America.

"With all the negative result shown here, I, as a coach, see one positive moment: finally Artur gained good execution of the quadruple jump. He did it fine at warm-up, in training, and today at the competition. I think all of the athlete's blunders and woes will be compensated if he develops a little more stamina.

Getting his back seriously injured prior to the short programme didn't allow him to show everything he can. The skater fell hard. The doctor diagnosed strong contusion of the sacral part of spine.

As for Liza, she did upset us, because here she skated very well. Judges came up to me and told that now they see former Liza. Now the athlete came to the good form, but she has to work a bit. It already happened before that her short programme brought surprises to the coaches. But now we make some changes in the order of elements to take off that complex" - declared the skaters' coach Alexei Mishin.

Custom Title
    Some good Artur news from Golden Spin!

He won silver, but more importantly, his FS contained two CLEAN QUADS (one in combination), two 3As (one in a really boss combination), and a proper execution of the rest of his jumps (except a 3Lz turned into a 2Lz). He got +GOE on almost everything, and level 3s and 4s for his spins. It's not over yet!

Yey ! Go Artur! Nationals are so close! Do you have any videos of the programs from this weekend ?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxi View Post
    Do you have any videos of the programs from this weekend ?
    Yeah right! His name isn't Yuna Kim, therefore he may as well not exist...

No, there's isn't, unfortunately. There's a video of his ex (he does the short program) but no videos of the actual competition.

So he'll just have to do it again at Russian Nationals where we can see it

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    Russians should let their skaters alone to develop their own way and stop treating them as next Plushenko or next Yagudin. Yagudin and Plushenko belong to the past, Russia needs new FS stars. Even overhyped Kovtun could actually start landing his quads and have good results in senior competitions, without Tarasova's PR.
    Gachinski is a lovely skater, he reminds me of Alexander Abt, I wish him luck.
    I agree, let them be themselves. I feel for Artur, I feel like he's become the fall boy for Russian men's skating because of his result in 2012. He's not the problem, he's a symptom. Russia needs to redevelop their men and Gacinski is taking the blame. I hope he comes back firing in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Some good Artur news from Golden Spin!

He won silver, but more importantly, his FS contained two CLEAN QUADS (one in combination), two 3As (one in a really boss combination), and a proper execution of the rest of his jumps (except a 3Lz turned into a 2Lz). He got +GOE on almost everything, and level 3s and 4s for his spins. It's not over yet!
    This is good news! Best to to Artur at his Nationals!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast