Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sandhu to hit the ice again at B.C. Summer

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    It's a really outside shot, particularly with his lack of a 3A (though obviously he could get it back). Even his PCS isn't up to par with the other skaters.

I also wouldn't say Rogozine is "so weak" considering he got 13th in his first Worlds (essentially tied Amodio and Liebers for 11th, and placed 9th in the FS), beat GP medallists like Song and Miner, and almost cleared 150 points in his FS. I think last season was about Sandhu getting back out there, and this will be his attempt at a Sasha-esque comeback.
    All true.

This is such a longshot, but am I the only one with the impression that Skate Canada doesn't really support Rogozine well and acts as if they would really like to find an alternative for the third spot (although I doubt Sandhu was the skater they had in mind). I say this because I thought I read that they made Rogozine jump through a number of preliminary tests (a skate-off) and, as well, they did not exactly declare Rogozine very early last year as our third entry for Worlds (when he should have been the obvious choice I think). It would appear that third place really is up for grabs.

Banned
    I get that impression too. I dont get the sense the CSA is that fond of Rogozine, despite that he is a World Junior Champion and did respectable at his first Worlds. I have also heard from various people that he is not that well liked by some of his teammates and those in the organization. I also admit I dont care for his skating. I find all he has is jumps, and he doesnt even have a solid quad which is a must if you are just a jumping bean.

So I still think that 3rd spot is anyones for the taking, and I think if Sandhu put on a great performance he could easily beat someone like Rogozine on PCS (TES is another story and would be alot harder).

Custom Title
    It may be more difficult being an outsider but Rogozine could try out Russia. After Plushenko there is favorite Kovtun but no one else really after Kovtun unless Gachinski improves to 2011 level. Maybe they want to develop Kolyada. But even if Kovtun and Gachinski are equal after 2014 that's only two men? Maybe Kolyada. So it could really go Rogozine's way! He is having enormous difficulty gaining real faith from Canadian Powers that be! It's very strange and very weird! But his native country has like 2 men after Sochi. It's open!

On the Ice
    Sandhu didn't skate at BC Summerskate, but he did give this interview:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/37450203

Custom Title
    I wonder if we will see him at Nationals? Doesn't sound that good.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I get that impression too. I dont get the sense the CSA is that fond of Rogozine, despite that he is a World Junior Champion and did respectable at his first Worlds. I have also heard from various people that he is not that well liked by some of his teammates and those in the organization. I also admit I dont care for his skating. I find all he has is jumps, and he doesnt even have a solid quad which is a must if you are just a jumping bean.

So I still think that 3rd spot is anyones for the taking, and I think if Sandhu put on a great performance he could easily beat someone like Rogozine on PCS (TES is another story and would be alot harder).
    It's unfortunate to hear that he's not well liked. I think his jumping elements are good, and he has solid technique, but I agree that his skating is kinda blah. I would love to see Liam Firus take the third spot. He was really close last season, in spite of initially not even thinking of doing Nationals and he's a great skater to watch.

Do any Canadian skaters other than Chan and Reynolds have a consistent quad (or even landed quads internationally)?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    What jumps does Balde attempt?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    What jumps does Balde attempt?
    Usually 3A's. I think he's been working up to a quad but he's so far just tripled it in his FS. While I really enjoy Balde's performance, his skating skills and inconsistency make even Rogozine a much more optimal choice for the 3rd spot.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I agree; I just seemed to remember that Balde was trying quads, but didn't remember whether he had succeeded with landing one in a competition yet?

Custom Title
    So is Sandu competing or working towards Natoinals or is he a done deal? I wish someone would have helped him earlier and paid for him to train all year who knows where he would be.

Custom Title
    I always enjoyed Sandhu's skates....but I always was sitting there waiting for him to self-destruct. I don't see him figuring in the Canadian Nationals at all. But he's sooo intertaining to watch. Wish he could get on some kind of a professionial tour. Do they exist any more?

Custom Title
    Not much professional tours left but Iwould love to see Sandu give it one more try but a serious try. Last year he was soundertrained, using an old routine and an old costume. He clearly was rusty - slow and jumps not all back and spins not well centred or fast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2