Cesario, Rippon, and Zhang/Bartholomay Receive SkAm Spots | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Cesario, Rippon, and Zhang/Bartholomay Receive SkAm Spots

Moment

Final Flight
Good for Zhang/Bartholomay. I heard they're paying homage to The Queen's Les Mis. Hope them do well. :)

LRK

Record Breaker
with no GP and possible international B at the late of the season
then make a final qualifying for the nationals for the olympics team ?

chances of getting into the Olympics 1-5%

Well, perhaps. But better than taking the SA spot - if she was offered it all, that is - and making a mess of things, when she wasn't ready; and depriving another of it. Things may be difficult for her, but I'm sure she knows that, and is planning accordingly - but whatever difficulties she may face later, I still maintain it's better that she listens to her body and does not return prematurely.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I think both Adam and Caroline have received the Hail Mary spots in their respective categories...probably more out of appreciation than anything. The newbie seniors probably won't do any damage this season, so why not let the veterans (who probably won't be competing anymore after this year anyway) have the spot as a farewell and thank you?

You are right in a way--even if Jason had gotten the spot over Adam, it's unlikely he would have medaled or anything. I guess I'm just eager to see Jason get more opportunities. (And am sort of frustrated by Adam's lack of progress.)

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
You are right in a way--even if Jason had gotten the spot over Adam, it's unlikely he would have medaled or anything. I guess I'm just eager to see Jason get more opportunities. (And am sort of frustrated by Adam's lack of progress.)

I'm ready to see all of the newbies on the senior scene. We just have to put up with these vets for one more season before most of them say adios. :) I'll be really sad to see a lot of them go (Yu-Na, Mao, Carolina, Akiko, etc.) but I'm am excited to see the newer girls come in and start battling for that top spot.

blancanieves

On the Ice
I'm ready to see all of the newbies on the senior scene. We just have to put up with these vets for one more season before most of them say adios. :) I'll be really sad to see a lot of them go (Yu-Na, Mao, Carolina, Akiko, etc.) but I'm am excited to see the newer girls come in and start battling for that top spot.

By that logic, I guess Lynn and Logan would get the Dance TBA.

KKonas

Medalist
Bad move not giving Jason Brown another GP event this year. He is the future of US Men's skating not Adam. And why didn't they give Courtney Hicks SKam instead of Cesario? Hicks has been on fire this summer. I guess the USFS really wants Wagner to make the GP final since she will have no competition at all from Zhang or Cesario.

Both Jason & Josh have one senior GP each. Jason may be the future of US Men's skating but then so is Josh and Josh is the 2013 World Jr Champ and was 4th at US Nationals, while Jason won silver at World Jrs. and was 8th at Nationals last season. So it would be an undeserved slap in the face to Josh to give Jason an additional slot over Josh.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Both Jason & Josh have one senior GP each. Jason may be the future of US Men's skating but then so is Josh and Josh is the 2013 World Jr Champ and was 4th at US Nationals, while Jason won silver at World Jrs. and was 8th at Nationals last season. So it would be an undeserved slap in the face to Josh to give Jason an additional slot over Josh.

Actualy Josh Farris has two GPs: He's going to be Skate Canada and Cup of Russia. The only U.S. men to not have two (was) Adam and Jason. So with Adam's selection into SA, Jason is now the sole U.S. Man with just one GP.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Has anyone heard or seen any news about Adam? I wonder if he has been working with a sports psychologist, I hope so anyway. It seem the only one standing in his way is him. I think he is a really good skater who offers the entire package, I still hold out hope for him, call me crazy.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
My guess is that with Jason at #22 on the SB list and Adam #29, they figured Jason would be more likely to get a second GP as a replacement.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My guess is that with Jason at #22 on the SB list and Adam #29, they figured Jason would be more likely to get a second GP as a replacement.

Sad but true, hosts often pick replacements who offer the least competition to their own skaters. Adam has medaled in the GP in the past and has been skating senior for many years. Jason is a newbie, and has had no senior experience, so he would be more likely to be picked as a replacement than Adam.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Hmm. Maybe Courtney isn't skating on the JGP this season, after all. I could have sworn I saw an article mentioning it, though...:scratch:

It's quite strange that she isn't vying for any major international exposure before Nationals, especially since she won GF and her goal is to make the Olympics. Then again, though, she can still skate at Jr. Worlds next season, whereas Samantha is no longer eligible and likely won't receive any other assignments as big as SA.

I still think that Jason should have gotten the SA spot, since he's ranked ahead of Adam on SB and isn't guaranteed a replacement spot anywhere else, but whatever. It is what it is.

ForeverFish

Medalist
True, but I don't foresee Jason (a newbie) besting Max (who gained a lot of international respect at 4CC and Worlds) at any events this season, especially not if Max follows through with his five-quad plan.

gmyers

Record Breaker
In terms of excitement generating newcomers brown is totally up there with Aaron. Struggling rippon and no quad lysacek even if he is olympic champion under thr old scoring are both sub Aaron.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sad but true, hosts often pick replacements who offer the least competition to their own skaters. Adam has medaled in the GP in the past and has been skating senior for many years. Jason is a newbie, and has had no senior experience, so he would be more likely to be picked as a replacement than Adam.

Exactly. Adam has been skating Senior for many years without a lot of success. He's medaled one time in his last six events in the last three years. His skating has stagnated. It's time to give the younger guys a shot.