Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 53

Thread: Cesario, Rippon, and Zhang/Bartholomay Receive SkAm Spots

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    170
    As a NY guy, I'm glad Samantha will compete at SA. I'm also hoping Adam steps it up this year.

    Note: Gracie already has two grand prix assignements: Canada & NHK.

  2. #17
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,988
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Gracie can't compete at the same GP as Ashley because they finished right next to each other at Worlds. It makes sense that, being the national champion, Ashley would receive the SkAm spot over Gracie.
    Also the obvious: Gracie got 2 GPs automatically for her finish at Worlds, so makes no sense to take a host pick when she could get invited elsewhere (which she did).

    I think the USFSA made an exception for the Shibutanis (who also qualified for two spots automatically) because they train in Detroit.

  3. #18
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,955
    Caroline Zhang is a interesting choice. She is always a crowd favorite and everyone who knows her history roots for her to do well. She is not, however, going to threaten for the podium. I was expecting to see an up-and-comer in the spot.

  4. #19
    Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,391
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Gracie can't compete at the same GP as Ashley because they finished right next to each other at Worlds. It makes sense that, being the national champion, Ashley would receive the SkAm spot over Gracie.
    SA spot pretty much always goes to the US champ so it's not surprising Ashley got it over Gracie. Contrary to what some believe/perceive/hope, Gracie IS NOT the top US lady in the world. She has the potential to be but until her potential manifests into some actual results, Ashley (whom Gracie has yet to beat) is the #1 US lady. As a result she gets the preferable/starring spot at SA for the US ladies.

    I'm glad to see Samantha get the SA spot though I did think they'd give it to Courtney. But if Courtney is on the JGP again then I understand why.

    I think both Adam and Caroline have received the Hail Mary spots in their respective categories...probably more out of appreciation than anything. The newbie seniors probably won't do any damage this season, so why not let the veterans (who probably won't be competing anymore after this year anyway) have the spot as a farewell and thank you?

  5. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    No, why should it be? She can still qualify for Nationals, and get the minimum TES internationally - if she cannot perform well enough to do either, then what would be the point, anyway? SA is fairly early in the season, anyway, and she might need more time to get ready - better to wait, and gather her forces, then compete when she isn't ready, and do so badly.
    with no GP and possible international B at the late of the season
    then make a final qualifying for the nationals for the olympics team ?

    chances of getting into the Olympics 1-5%

  6. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Courtney announced beforehand (in June/July) that she's competing on the JGP this season. And I wouldn't imagine her giving Ashley much trouble anyway, big jumps or no.
    she is not going to JGP again

  7. #22
    ~high art~
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    636
    Good for Zhang/Bartholomay. I heard they're paying homage to The Queen's Les Mis. Hope them do well.

  8. #23
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,661
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    with no GP and possible international B at the late of the season
    then make a final qualifying for the nationals for the olympics team ?

    chances of getting into the Olympics 1-5%
    Well, perhaps. But better than taking the SA spot - if she was offered it all, that is - and making a mess of things, when she wasn't ready; and depriving another of it. Things may be difficult for her, but I'm sure she knows that, and is planning accordingly - but whatever difficulties she may face later, I still maintain it's better that she listens to her body and does not return prematurely.

  9. #24
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Greater Boston, MA
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I think both Adam and Caroline have received the Hail Mary spots in their respective categories...probably more out of appreciation than anything. The newbie seniors probably won't do any damage this season, so why not let the veterans (who probably won't be competing anymore after this year anyway) have the spot as a farewell and thank you?
    You are right in a way--even if Jason had gotten the spot over Adam, it's unlikely he would have medaled or anything. I guess I'm just eager to see Jason get more opportunities. (And am sort of frustrated by Adam's lack of progress.)

  10. #25
    Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,391
    Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    You are right in a way--even if Jason had gotten the spot over Adam, it's unlikely he would have medaled or anything. I guess I'm just eager to see Jason get more opportunities. (And am sort of frustrated by Adam's lack of progress.)
    I'm ready to see all of the newbies on the senior scene. We just have to put up with these vets for one more season before most of them say adios. I'll be really sad to see a lot of them go (Yu-Na, Mao, Carolina, Akiko, etc.) but I'm am excited to see the newer girls come in and start battling for that top spot.

  11. #26
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I'm ready to see all of the newbies on the senior scene. We just have to put up with these vets for one more season before most of them say adios. I'll be really sad to see a lot of them go (Yu-Na, Mao, Carolina, Akiko, etc.) but I'm am excited to see the newer girls come in and start battling for that top spot.
    By that logic, I guess Lynn and Logan would get the Dance TBA.

  12. #27
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Boi View Post
    Why not send our very best to every GP in the pre-Olympic year?
    Not sure what you are asking here ... but the maximum number of GP assignments allowed for each skater is only two.

  13. #28
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,955
    Quote Originally Posted by blancanieves View Post
    By that logic, I guess Lynn and Logan would get the Dance TBA.

  14. #29
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Bad move not giving Jason Brown another GP event this year. He is the future of US Men's skating not Adam. And why didn't they give Courtney Hicks SKam instead of Cesario? Hicks has been on fire this summer. I guess the USFS really wants Wagner to make the GP final since she will have no competition at all from Zhang or Cesario.
    Both Jason & Josh have one senior GP each. Jason may be the future of US Men's skating but then so is Josh and Josh is the 2013 World Jr Champ and was 4th at US Nationals, while Jason won silver at World Jrs. and was 8th at Nationals last season. So it would be an undeserved slap in the face to Josh to give Jason an additional slot over Josh.

  15. #30
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,988
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    Both Jason & Josh have one senior GP each. Jason may be the future of US Men's skating but then so is Josh and Josh is the 2013 World Jr Champ and was 4th at US Nationals, while Jason won silver at World Jrs. and was 8th at Nationals last season. So it would be an undeserved slap in the face to Josh to give Jason an additional slot over Josh.
    Actualy Josh Farris has two GPs: He's going to be Skate Canada and Cup of Russia. The only U.S. men to not have two (was) Adam and Jason. So with Adam's selection into SA, Jason is now the sole U.S. Man with just one GP.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •