Zoo in China tries passing off dog as lion | Golden Skate

Zoo in China tries passing off dog as lion

:laugh:

I took my grand niece and nephew to the zoo and when we came back their mom asked them what animals they saw, "A dinosaur and ..."

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Toni, I would have believed that in my younger days of partying!!!! :laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
:laugh:

I took my grand niece and nephew to the zoo and when we came back their mom asked them what animals they saw, "A dinosaur and ..."

:laugh: DINOSAURS!!!!! I wanna go to THAT zoo!

I'm not much for zoos or aquariums where the animals are stuck in small enclosures. I prefer ones like the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center that have the animals in their natural habitats (for the most part) and have fences just to keep the predators away from the herds of leaf eaters. ;)

I just went there for the second time ever this past weekend, they've really improved since the last visit! See photos here.

According to the BBC online, the ruse "came apart when the dog barked at a visitor." This is just the laugh I needed after thinking about difficult world events today.

The rapper Snoop Dogg has changed his name to Snoop Lion. Maybe this creature should be called "Snoop Ex-Lion."

Or The Dog Formerly known as Lion?

Here is an article about a completely new animal that scientists just identified. It looks like a little teddy bear and is related to raccoons.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/69301000/jpg/_69301449_5zooolinguito.jpg

They had one is a zoo in the 1960s but no one knew what it was or that it was a new species.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23701151

I saw that! Isn't it amazing? The idea of finding a new species of mammal (as opposed to, say, a new kind of beetle) is so unbelievable. Cute little critter. It looks a bit like a red panda or a raccoon. Since it's a carnivore, though, who knows what its teeth are like? I'm just going to wave to it from a distance if I see one.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
herbivores have some of the most wicked teeth... they have to be able to chew through roots/nuts/etc.

In other zoo news, a panda has just been born in Washington, D.C. This is a rare and tremendously important occasion! It always fascinates me that for all the size of adult pandas, the newborn is the size of a stick of butter. (That's the comparison they always use. It gets me every time.) Here's hoping the panda remains healthy and grows up strong and healthy.

I'm not sure what kind of teeth pandas have. Though they're obviously related to bears, they seem to have evolved to eat only bamboo. I will have to research their dentition.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Actually two babies were born, the second one a day later and was stillborn. From tests they've determined that the cub was never alive in the womb (then why did it grow? LOL)

According to the article I read most panda births are twins.

I just hunted up about its teeth, and it's very interesting. A panda's digestive system is more like that of a carnivore than of an herbivore, which I expected because pandas are related to bears. So it's very inefficient and must eat a lot more. The teeth are adapted from bear teeth by having larger molars and fewer teeth in all, for the chewing of bamboo, but the jaw isn't really completely adapted for herbivorous eating. How extraordinary; the panda almost seems to have adapted insufficiently for the way it lives.

I read that pandas sometimes give birth to twins, but that generally only one survives. That seems so inefficient, doesn't it? Well, I'm glad that this baby is healthy so far. Can you imagine its extreme cuteness in a month or two?