Skills | Golden Skate

Skills

Sk8gr812

Spectator
I heard last skating season from many different coaches that they were taking out skill is this true and what are they replacing it with btw I'm from canada

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
This has been an ongoing conversation in Canada: I first heard of Skills vanishing over 6 years ago - it was supposed to be imminent, but, hey, all this time later - and they're still very much alive.

The change discussion and the expectation is still out there; timing is not determined (last I heard was for 2014). It will be replaced, by all accounts, by the stroking portion of the freeskate test and moves in the field. It is dependent on revisions to the freeskate tests as a result, and SC has had this backburnered due to the LTAD implementation. Then again, I've heard so many "Skate Canada is doing X" and then have it not happen, that, I'll wait to see it actually implemented. At this point, evaluators have not received any communication regarding this change, and they would absolutely need to know. If it does happen, then, you will be grandfathered at your current level. Just like when they took away the old figures tests.

Sk8gr812

Spectator
Thank you I had no idea the have been talking about this so many years ago I personally would probably be most happy if the went back to the old figures but I doubt that will happen.

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Figures are not going to return in ANY federation. In the US, if you can find judges who received appointments long enough ago, you can take them as a special request