Thread: Sibling skaters - is the younger one more successful?

Hybrid View

Sibling skaters - is the younger one more successful?

Looking at cases of Mao & Mai Asada, Michelle & Karen Kwan, Emi Watanabe and her elder sister, Stephane Lambiel and his elder sister,
    is it true to say that statistically younger one is more successful in the skating world? If yes, I wonder why...

Miserere Nobis
    Well, I don't know about "statistically," but Gracie Gold is (barely) older than her twin sister Carly, and has so far seen much more success in skating.

How about Alissa and Amber, who is older?

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Another counter-example:
    Sarah Hughes is older than Emily Hughes. Although Emily was very successful, Sarah was even more successful.

And re the Golds, I agree with ForeverFish.
    Side question:
    How much of a head start did Gracie have over Carly? I remember reading something about Carly getting involved in skating because Gracie was having so much fun.
    And I thought it was great that Gracie wrote something in her blog about their goal of Carly qualifying for 2014 nationals as a competitor. They're not assuming that she will attend only as Gracie's cheerleader/twin/best friend. Go, Carly!

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Another counter-example:
    Sarah Hughes is older than Emily Hughes. Although Emily was very successful, Sarah was even more successful.

And re the Golds, I agree with ForeverFish.
    Side question:
    How much of a head start did Gracie have over Carly? I remember reading something about Carly getting involved in skating because Gracie was having so much fun.
    And I thought it was great that Gracie wrote something in her blog about their goal of Carly qualifying for 2014 nationals as a competitor. They're not assuming that she will attend only as Gracie's cheerleader/twin/best friend. Go, Carly!
    Very nice. Once Asada's dream was going to the Japanese Nationals together.
    p.s. I was impressed by Carly's Rippon Lutz the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
    How about Alissa and Amber, who is older?
    Like the Golds, the Czisnys are twins. So they would differ in age only by minutes. (I don't know which Czisny technically is moments older.)

p.s. I was impressed by Carly's Rippon Lutz the other day.
    ETA:
    Has Carly also mastered the Rippon lutz? I was aware only of Gracie's.

ETA:
    Has Carly also mastered the Rippon lutz? I was aware only of Gracie's.
    Here it is
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umekg06DwHc

Custom Title
    Yuzuru and his four-years-older sister Saya started skating together, and at that time she was the 'girl who wanted to skate' and he was the 'little brother tagging along and doing everything that his big sister did' Saya did some competitions, but she stopped skating before entering university because she wanted to focus on her studies.
    Kanako's older sister also was a skater and did competitions, before withdrawing in 2011.
    In these cases, obviously the youngest was the most successful of the two.

Custom Title
    Discounting twins where older vs. younger isn't relevant, I can think of several examples of both famous skaters and local ones I know of where one sibling is more successful.

It does seem that if there is a disparity in results, the younger one prevails more often. I can think of several reasons why this might be true:

*Genetic talent favoring one sibling or the other should be random as to whether the younger or the older is more talented, so environmental factors should have more impact.

*Often both skaters start at the same time, which means the younger one starts at a younger age. If there's more of an age difference and the younger doesn't start until the older has already been skating for a few years and the younger wants to join the fun, the younger one still might be younger than the older one was when s/he started. Starting younger will usually correlate with greater success.

*If siblings are of opposite sexes, the boy is likely to have more success because there's less competition. Going back to the previous point, because skating is often perceived as a girl's sport, it's much more likely that a younger brother will start skating (at a younger age) because his older sister skates, and less likely that a younger sister will have an older brother who is already a skater before she gets interested.

(However, if opposite-sex siblings start at the same time and the boy is older, often they will end up as a dance or pair team. Even if the boy is not more talented, if the team needs to break up when they don't grow at a rate to make them compatible partners at higher levels, or because one of them is injured or loses interest, it will be easier for the boy to find a compatible partner elsewhere if he wants to continue.)

There are, of course, exceptions to all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    Yuzuru and his four-years-older sister Saya started skating together, and at that time she was the 'girl who wanted to skate' and he was the 'little brother tagging along and doing everything that his big sister did' Saya did some competitions, but she stopped skating before entering university because she wanted to focus on her studies.
    I believe Brian Joubert started skating "via" his sister, as well (I don't know their respective ages) - and I wonder how often that happens? That a boy begins figure skating because his sister is skating?

Belated thanks to cinnamon for the vid of Carly Gold's Rippon lutz. Good for Carly.

Off topic, but I just came across this music CD featuring two famous skating sisters (2008).

http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...classic-cd.jpg

Belated thanks to cinnamon for the vid of Carly Gold's Rippon lutz. Good for Carly.
    My pleasure. This is also good
    http://instagram.com/p/dSO2cmsAQL/#
    Carly can do lots of good jumps. Just if she can present all what she has at competitions, she will be more successful. I'm waiting for that.
    Well, by looking at this, Gracie's jump is much sharper, but still
    http://instagram.com/p/bEiq7_sAdW/