Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sibling skaters - is the younger one more successful?

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
    Really cute articles. Are they (his siblings) still skating?
    And this is what I've found for this thread
    http://instagram.com/p/a6Qw9ZMAVo
    Thanks for the photo.
    The IN bio for Max's younger sister Maddie Aaron and Max Settlage lists their 2014 program music and indicates that they still are competing as a junior pair.
    [ETA, just noticed that their past season's FS music was Carmen. ]
    Older sister Molly retired, and returned home to Arizona to attend college.
    BTW, Max talked a bit about both sisters in his interview with The Skating Lesson.

Thank you, golden411. I should look at The Skating Lesson.

Custom Title
    Javier is more successful than his elder sister.

Custom Title
    Don't forget the Swedish sisters, Viktoria and Joshi Helgesson! Viktoria is 5 years older but so far she has been a little bit better. They both are coached by their mother. They all must have good nerves and huge amount of sense of humour

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Carol Heiss was older than Bruce Heiss & Nancy Heiss, and she certainly had the better career of the 3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Heiss

Custom Title
    If all things are equal, I would expect the younger child to be better. Why? I expect 1) the younger child to start skating at a younger age (because the parents are bringing the older sibling) and 2) the parent has the benefit of knowing more about the sport so they won't make the same mistakes with the younger child. #2 can be applied to most parenting lessons, not just ice skating.

However, the real key is PASSION - who has it? The child with the passion for the sport will be the better regardless of birth order.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Welcome to Golden Skate, concorde! Post long & often.

Evan Lysacek is the middle sibling (has an older sister Laura, and a younger sister Christina). I know his older sister used to skate. But I think she moved on to other sports and was successful (basketball). His younger sister Christina, was very successful in volleyball. We know which sibling was the most accomplished here though.

Jeremy Abbott has an older sister, Gwen that was an x-games and nationally ranked US downhill ski racer.

Custom Title
    TRICK QUESTION!!! Maia is neither more nor less successful that Alex. Nothing gets by 'ol Samson! Hahah I am
    V I C T O R I O U S in solving this riddle!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post
    TRICK QUESTION!!! Maia is neither more nor less successful that Alex. Nothing gets by 'ol Samson! Hahah I am
    V I C T O R I O U S in solving this riddle!
    Good one, Samson!

I'd say the same for the Duchesnays....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Good one, Samson!

I'd say the same for the Duchesnays....
    Maia may be biologically younger than Alex but word is, she's the "old soul" and "wise one." Tanith Belbin once said during commentary that everyone says she is 17 going on 29 or something like that

Custom Title
    Ashley Wagner, the older sibling, was more successful than Austin, the younger brother, even before she hit her breakthrough season a couple of years ago when he was still skating. So much for theories. ;-)

I think one could say that Viktoria Helgesson has been more successful than younger sister Joshi, though the final chapter has not been written yet on that one.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    This is something I so admire about the Russians. They always had the view that dancing is a powerful, manly art as well as one for ladies. I think a large part of this stems from their pride in their ballet tradition, both in Moscow with the Bolshoi and in St. Petersburg with the Kirov, going back a century or more. But it's also due to their vibrant folk tradition, with troupes that tour the country and the world. (I was once lucky enough to see the Moiseyev Dance Company, and it's splendid.) Other Eastern European countries have the folk tradition, but they're not such a presence in skating right now.
    So true. I was watching Gordeeva and Grinkov videos last night and was struck again by how masculine, strong, and gorgeous Sergei was- and so was my husband, who'd always thought of male skaters as gay. Also think of Artur Dimitriev- gorgeous heartthrob type who had no shame or hesitation in wearing his heart on his sleeve- literally in one program!

Custom Title
    Then there's Laurence and Maribel Owen....

Quote Originally Posted by GGoldberg View Post
    Maia may be biologically younger than Alex but word is, she's the "old soul" and "wise one." Tanith Belbin once said during commentary that everyone says she is 17 going on 29 or something like that
    Here you go: http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commen...amily-business

Alex described his sister as, "the most mature person I've ever met … a 30-year-old trapped in a 17-year-old's body."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3