Sibling skaters - is the younger one more successful? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Sibling skaters - is the younger one more successful?

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
Good one, Samson!

I'd say the same for the Duchesnays....

Maia may be biologically younger than Alex but word is, she's the "old soul" and "wise one." Tanith Belbin once said during commentary that everyone says she is 17 going on 29 or something like that :laugh:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Ashley Wagner, the older sibling, was more successful than Austin, the younger brother, even before she hit her breakthrough season a couple of years ago when he was still skating. So much for theories. ;-)

I think one could say that Viktoria Helgesson has been more successful than younger sister Joshi, though the final chapter has not been written yet on that one.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
This is something I so admire about the Russians. They always had the view that dancing is a powerful, manly art as well as one for ladies. I think a large part of this stems from their pride in their ballet tradition, both in Moscow with the Bolshoi and in St. Petersburg with the Kirov, going back a century or more. But it's also due to their vibrant folk tradition, with troupes that tour the country and the world. (I was once lucky enough to see the Moiseyev Dance Company, and it's splendid.) Other Eastern European countries have the folk tradition, but they're not such a presence in skating right now.
So true. I was watching Gordeeva and Grinkov videos last night and was struck again by how masculine, strong, and gorgeous Sergei was- and so was my husband, who'd always thought of male skaters as gay. Also think of Artur Dimitriev- gorgeous heartthrob type who had no shame or hesitation in wearing his heart on his sleeve- literally in one program! :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker